Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I pick tenants?

Options
  • 05-10-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Our house is vacant again so I am advertising it today. Preferably I'd like to get professional couple. I know I am legally obligated to give rent allowance but can I decide who to give house to. I intend to get 2 references but any other advice please from landlords here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Of course you can. It's you house. You don't have to just let to the first eejit who rings up.

You can pick whoever you want and exclude whoever you want as long as you don't make it blindingly obvious that you are filtering on the basis of the 9 criteria in the equality act or rent allowance. You can discriminate and filter, but you just have to be cute about how you do it. Just ignoring someone is usually grand or telling them, Oh I've already let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

of course!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can pick tenants, you cannot discriminate against tenants claiming rent allowance.

At the same time you are under no legal obligation to pick a specific potential tenant just because they are in receipt of rent allowance/housing assistance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Once you don't put " rent allowance not accepted" in your add...which people still do. This is leaving you open to prosecution if the welfare recipient is so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I like to give them spears and watch them fight to the death to secure the accommodation :P

Last person standing gets the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I like to give them spears and watch them fight to the death to secure the accommodation :P

Last person standing gets the room.

As long as they're not bleeding too much. Gotta think about the old 'wear and tear'...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

You'll have to charge them extra deposit if the bleed.

Just tell everyone who views that someone else has first refusal who saw it before them. Then pick who you want and tell the rest the first person took it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Say you want current jobs reference and previous job (if only 'new' in it), along with 2 months deposit, they'll give you the choice on who you want in your property. It will be likely only working professionals who can supply this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Thanks for all the replies. We previously got one months rent as deposit. Do others charge a higher deposit? I just want to make sure we do all this legally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

insist on employer references , 1 month deposit is usual but if your rental is under the RA threshold for the area i'd bump that to two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for all the replies. We previously got one months rent as deposit. Do others charge a higher deposit? I just want to make sure we do all this legally

Honest answer, a higher amount tends to weed a fair amount of the bad tenants. No legal standard for deposit.

A lot of landlords I know are now asking for 2-3 months deposit and a rent paid in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Honest answer, a higher amount tends to weed a fair amount of the bad tenants. No legal standard for deposit.

A lot of landlords I know are now asking for 2-3 months deposit and a rent paid in advance.

Sorry OP - this is not aimed at you.

Isn't there no wonder we have so many accommodation problems. Greedy rents on top of the above highlighted.

With the current average rental prices for a 2/3 bed, you could be talking ~€6k up front there in Dublin. That is enough to almost wipe out any chance for a lot of young families there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Isn't there no wonder we have so many accommodation problems. Greedy rents on top of the above highlighted.

what makes them greedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Ask for the first month's rent, the last month's rent and a deposit.

This prevents tenants leaving and using the deposit for the last month's rent, leaving you to cover any potential damage done. And only working professionals could realistically afford this.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

sheesh wrote: »
    what makes them greedy?

I knew that was coming. Pick or choose your word to describe it.

It doesn't take a lot of research to see how much rent prices have increased in Dublin in the last few years. You can blame a lack of supply but lets be honest - its landlords who choose their own price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

sheesh wrote: »
    what makes them greedy?
    Of course they are greedy.

But they are not to blame for being greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

darlett wrote: »
    As in all Landlords are greedy? Do go on please...

Mod note

Please don't. The thread has been sufficiently derailed already. If you want to continue to discuss this please take it to pm. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

OP it's a frequent mistake made that people believe they can not discriminate. Of course you can discriminate, you have too. You simply can't discriminate on a number of grounds, all fairly obvious. You have to be careful that you're not blatantly indirectly discriminating. For example you'll accept Irish people but no one with a O' surname or any gingers! On the balance of probabilities, the jig would be up...

If you're preference is a professional couple, as long as you treat everyone else the same - as far as you can and I suggest open viewing facilitate that - you may choose whom you wish as long as you dont exclude anyone on the basis of a delimited ground. Try and keep an open mind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Its become much more common now to ask for 2 months, as mentioned stops tenants using deposit as last months rent, weeds out undesirable tenants (in some cases, and yes there are undesirable landlords too). Also with lots of horror stories of tenants refusing to pay rent for upto a year and the RTB process taking so long, its a good deterrent. A house/apartment is an asset, a highly valuable one, you have to do what you can to protect it and your investment. Some of the larger companies are doing this from what I've heard from friends (eg investment companies who own full blocks etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

2 or 3 months rent as a deposit.....that is ridiculous!

I am a professional working as a legal executive for the last number of years and I still wouldn't be able to afford 2/3 months rent deposit as well as that months rent!

OP if you want to go down that route, that's your choice but just giving you my opinion as a "professional "on a decent wage myself, I wouldn't even consider giving you that much deposit, so I think you may be limiting yourself a bit too much. Even if I had the money, I probably wouldn't consider it because I would immediately assume you are hard work to deal with as a landlord. Just as landlords jump to conclusions about "non-professional" tenants....tenants will judge a landlord just as quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sorry OP - this is not aimed at you.

With the current average rental prices for a 2/3 bed, you could be talking ~€6k up front there in Dublin. That is enough to almost wipe out any chance for a lot of young families there.

Can you name another European country where the private rental market is supposed to provide vast amounts of affordable housing? No, as that is the Government and local authorities jobs. But when Landlords want to charge a rent that takes into account the massive taxes they pay, all their expenses etc they are greedy? People need to understand the state is supposed to provide affordable housing, not private landlords.

In Germany where nearly all accommodation is unfurnished, tenants get credit checks etc a deposit of 2/3 months is the norm. Yet you think its is unreasonable for a landlord in Ireland who might have well over €10k in furnishings and no way to check his tenants creditworthiness to ask for a deposit to minimise the risk of non-payment of rent or damage? There are countless stories of Landlords not having tenants pay rent for up to a year and not being able to get any money from them when they move out. At least 3 months deposit protects them from some of this fall out

If you arent happy with private landlords being business people(who are selling up in vast amounts as rental properties are not profitable enough), focus on getting the state to provide more social housing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

To be honest I wouldn't mind pay the first and last month's rent up front and a months rent as a deposit. Its actually handier in the long for tenants to have the last month paid. The thing I don't understand is though, the economy is much better so landlords shouldn't be as sensitive as they were say five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Our house is vacant again so I am advertising it today. Preferably I'd like to get professional couple. I know I am legally obligated to give rent allowance but can I decide who to give house to. I intend to get 2 references but any other advice please from landlords here

you cant advertise it, but you get to choose who you rent too.

To be honest its stupid you cant just advertise what you are specifically looking for because its literally wasting time for everyone who falls outside what you ideally want sowing up and viewing etc when unless there is no one fits what your looking for they don't have a chance of getting the place.

Its like posting a job description with no piece on whats required for the role re:experience or qualifications, just wasting peoples time applying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You can absolutely pick your tenants, it's up to you who lives in your house. However just be careful in the advertisement. You can't advertise for working professionals.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Can you name another European country where the private rental market is supposed to provide vast amounts of affordable housing? No, as that is the Government and local authorities jobs. But when Landlords want to charge a rent that takes into account the massive taxes they pay, all their expenses etc they are greedy? People need to understand the state is supposed to provide affordable housing, not private landlords.

In Germany where nearly all accommodation is unfurnished, tenants get credit checks etc a deposit of 2/3 months is the norm. Yet you think its is unreasonable for a landlord in Ireland who might have well over €10k in furnishings and no way to check his tenants creditworthiness to ask for a deposit to minimise the risk of non-payment of rent or damage? There are countless stories of Landlords not having tenants pay rent for up to a year and not being able to get any money from them when they move out. At least 3 months deposit protects them from some of this fall out

If you arent happy with private landlords being business people(who are selling up in vast amounts as rental properties are not profitable enough), focus on getting the state to provide more social housing...

Totally agree. In Canada it's standard for accommodation to be unfurnished and pay 1st and last months rent in advance plus deposit and none of it is returned if the tenant breaks the lease. Things are very much in the tenants favour in Ireland.

pilly wrote: »
    Totally agree. In Canada it's standard for accommodation to be unfurnished and pay 1st and last months rent in advance plus deposit and none of it is returned if the tenant breaks the lease. Things are very much in the tenants favour in Ireland.

i would actualy toatly prefer if aprtments just came unfurnished , the second had wrecked aul crap in most places is a pain and somtimes getting the landlord to take it out so you can replace it is nearly impossible.

were lucky at the minute we got our landlord to take basically everything out and replaced it with our own new furnishings.

i would actualy toatly prefer if aprtments just came unfurnished , the second had wrecked aul crap in most places is a pain and somtimes getting the landlord to take it out so you can replace it is nearly impossible.

were lucky at the minute we got our landlord to take basically everything out and replaced it with our own new furnishings.

Agree in some cases Walter but it's not very convenient for the likes of students or whatever who don't want to invest in a lot of furniture or indeed someone who doesn't intend on staying longer than a year or so in a place. It's a lot of added expense and yet people are giving out about upping a deposit.

I'm lucky in a sense I suppose in that most the furnishing in my current place was fine and whatever I've bought myself I've plenty of room to store the landlords furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ashbx wrote: »
    2 or 3 months rent as a deposit.....that is ridiculous!

I am a professional working as a legal executive for the last number of years and I still wouldn't be able to afford 2/3 months rent deposit as well as that months rent!

OP if you want to go down that route, that's your choice but just giving you my opinion as a "professional "on a decent wage myself, I wouldn't even consider giving you that much deposit, so I think you may be limiting yourself a bit too much. Even if I had the money, I probably wouldn't consider it because I would immediately assume you are hard work to deal with as a landlord. Just as landlords jump to conclusions about "non-professional" tenants....tenants will judge a landlord just as quickly.

2 months deposit and rent paid in advance is 50% more cash required then normal. 3 months deposit is two times the old "normal" amount. You should work on your savings.
    pc7 wrote: »
    Its become much more common now to ask for 2 months, as mentioned stops tenants using deposit as last months rent, weeds out undesirable tenants (in some cases, and yes there are undesirable landlords too). Also with lots of horror stories of tenants refusing to pay rent for upto a year and the RTB process taking so long, its a good deterrent. A house/apartment is an asset, a highly valuable one, you have to do what you can to protect it and your investment. Some of the larger companies are doing this from what I've heard from friends (eg investment companies who own full blocks etc.).

Spot on, having 6k of somebody's money immediately rules out so many of those nightmare tenants. Plus even your normal tenants are much more careful about how they treat the property and their tenancy.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Agree in some cases Walter but it's not very convenient for the likes of students or whatever who don't want to invest in a lot of furniture or indeed someone who doesn't intend on staying longer than a year or so in a place. It's a lot of added expense and yet people are giving out about upping a deposit.

I'm lucky in a sense I suppose in that most the furnishing in my current place was fine and whatever I've bought myself I've plenty of room to store the landlords furniture.

There really should be seprate specific studen accomodation , but that a whole other argument.

It would be handy if there were at least more unfurnished options like if you look on Daft there few and far between , it would be one way of landlords filtering out people they didnt want too , i mean like you said an unfunished place wont apple to those on welfare or low income , Students , or people only looking for a one year and out type lease ... so if you want to only attract professionals with decent incomes who are planning on renting in the one place for a few years, leaving the place unfurnished could nearly gaurentee you those type of tennants will be the only ones that come for viewings etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement