Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I pick tenants?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Berlin is a unfair standard to go up against, it had a lot of vacant space for a considerable amount of time and there are a number of German citys with higher average rents. Its only recently(in city terms) where Berlin has begun to see competition in the market as people migrated to it.

Also, I would guess that a typical 2 bed apartment is close to 600 at the moment from a quick google and the rate was rising so fast they implemented a 10% restriction on increases. And indications are that rents in most locations are going up 10% year on year.

Its probably as unfair as comparing the Irish rental sector to any other European market.

My other points are fairly valid however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

big syke wrote: »
    Its probably as unfair as comparing the Irish rental sector to any other European market.

My other points are fairly valid however.

We are sickeningly high, no doubt about that. But in comparison to another western Capital citys with a high average income and large number of multinationals? There are a few within spitting distance

https://www.statista.com/statistics/503274/average-rental-cost-apartment-europe/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Does it really though? You could have an architect who is simply in bad luck and ends up having to get RAS. He's still a professional though.

This. People don't see to realise you can be a professional working full time and also on HAP (the new replacement for rent supplement). So your potential tenants could give you all the work references you want and still turn around on contract day and tell you they are receiving rental assistance.

I recently rented a house to a family on HAP who were just this. Both parents had long terms jobs and both wore office clothes. They just didn't earn a huge amount and couldnt afford Dublin rents anymore. Hence they had to apply for a supplement.

People keep using Germany as an example in property conversations and its a terrible example as its the exception rather than the rule when it comes to how things work and the reason it is the way it is is because of WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

We always see comparisons to the German rental market and the advantages for Tenants. What I have never seen are the advantages for German Landlords. Do they give half their rental income to the Government like here in Ireland. What allowances are they allowed against their taxes. How many are large institutions with multiple properties compared to the many one property landlords here. What happens in Germany where a tenant refuses to pay their rent . Do they get to live rent free for 1 to 2 years like here. What happens to German tenants who wreck a property. Do they get to walk away like here.What redress does the landlord have. Does Germany have anything similar to RAS or HAP. I would love to know the answers to these questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

With the current average rental prices for a 2/3 bed, you could be talking ~€6k up front there in Dublin. That is enough to almost wipe out any chance for a lot of young families there.
    Blame the people who don't pay the last months rent, and then leaves the place damaged.
    pilly wrote: »
    Toronto completely different so.
    Have seen a few come furnished, although sometimes it's a "buy the furnishing off the last guy" scenario.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

People keep using Germany as an example in property conversations and its a terrible example as its the exception rather than the rule when it comes to how things work and the reason it is the way it is is because of WW2.

Who do you think caused WW2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

We are sickeningly high, no doubt about that. But in comparison to another western Capital citys with a high average income and large number of multinationals? There are a few within spitting distance

https://www.statista.com/statistics/503274/average-rental-cost-apartment-europe/

Comparing to Berlin was unfair. Comparing to other much larger capital city's (world cities) isn't.

Dublin should really be compared to cities of similar size. Bring a capital is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

We always see comparisons to the German rental market and the advantages for Tenants. What I have never seen are the advantages for German Landlords. Do they give half their rental income to the Government like here in Ireland. What allowances are they allowed against their taxes. How many are large institutions with multiple properties compared to the many one property landlords here. What happens in Germany where a tenant refuses to pay their rent . Do they get to live rent free for 1 to 2 years like here. What happens to German tenants who wreck a property. Do they get to walk away like here.What redress does the landlord have. Does Germany have anything similar to RAS or HAP. I would love to know the answers to these questions.

Yes they pay taxes as normal income. And all the rest. Why do Irish landlords feel they are exempt from that? Of course it's hard to evict.

Here's an example.

https://www.vpmk.de/en/en/german-tenancy-law

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would think that Munich is way more realistic comparison to Dublin than Berlin. Munich is not as economically dominant in Germany as Dublin in Irelandbut it would be the closest of all German cities. Berlin is popular with artists, good luck getting decent money out of them.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Who do you think caused WW2?

That's irrelavent, the point is that the only reason Germany has such low home ownership for example is because of the war it wasn't by choice or because people decided not to buy etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

That's irrelavent, the point is that the only reason Germany has such low home ownership for example is because of the war it wasn't by choice or because people decided not to buy etc.

They chose to start a war. They have only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So they have only themselves to blame for having better functioning rental market and better quality housing. That truly is severe punishment for starting the war.

I give up, you are either ignoring my point or missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Do they give half their rental income to the Government like here in Ireland.
    Your taxable rental income after deductions is simply added to your other income and taxed accordingly as it is in Ireland.
    What allowances are they allowed against their taxes.
    You can deduct significantly more things in Germany than Ireland including 100% of mortgage interest and pre-letting expenses.
    How many are large institutions with multiple properties compared to the many one property landlords here.
    There are both here. Plenty of one property landlords here I'd say but also almost certainly many more large property owners.
    What happens in Germany where a tenant refuses to pay their rent . Do they get to live rent free for 1 to 2 years like here.
    No. The law has been strengthened recently to make being a rent nomad harder and to help speed up eviction of rent nomads. It still takes a few months though.
    What happens to German tenants who wreck a property. Do they get to walk away like here.What redress does the landlord have.
    Definitely harder to walk away from this here as you have to register your abode to be able to function in society. No registered address means it's hard or impossible to do many things we take for granted like begin a new mobile phone contract. It's much harder to disappear having wrecked somewhere in this system. Even "poor people" get visits from the sheriff here and they take their halfway saleable belongings to discharge their civil debts and getting the judgement doesn't break the landlord as he'll likely have reasonably priced legal insurance to cover these costs.

Also most landlords expect a clean credit record and a declaration from the previous landlord that no rent was left owing. This thing has the lovely German name of mietschuldenfreiheitsbescheinigung.
    Does Germany have anything similar to RAS or HAP.
    Yes. If you receive benefits because your income is low or nonexistent then your accommodation will be paid for but there are strict rules about the size of the apartment and the maximum rent paid so people often have to vacate a place as the rent creeps up above the limit. The payment always goes directly to the landlord here, never to the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Can I pick tenants? Asked the OP...who do you think caused world war two asks a recent post. To say this thread has gone off topic is putting it mildly. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement