Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle refuelling

• 05-10-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if it's illegal to sit on a motorcycle while refuelling?
    Just been refused petrol in an apple green service station, Merrion Road, Booterstown.
    I was sitting on the bike and had despenced €1:50 Petrol when the pump stopped, then two members of staff approached me and told me I couldn't sit on the bike while filling up.
    I've used this service station many times before with no issue in this regard.Only last week I did exactly the same, no problem's.
    The reason I have always sat on the bike while refuelling is to get a full tank as the bike only has a side stand.This is the first time in 25 years on motorcycle use I've incountered this problem.
    I went and spoke to the manger, informed him I'd filled the same way the previous week. He told me it was company policy that motorcyclists get off their bikes before been allowed to refuel. He told me it was for health and safety. I suggested that they put a notice up informing bikers of this company policy. He told me there would be not notice going up as they were band new pumps!!!!

So just wondering if they can legally refuse for this reason.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its not illegal. Its at the owners discretion .. It varies from garage to garage. Some don't mind at all.
    To be fair some garages have had drive offs - which is understandable but to treat every biker like a potential thief is wrong.

Health and Safety angle to me is bullsh1t! He is just using that as an excuse to get you off your bike so you don't drive off without paying. Just don't use that garage if you don't like how it is. Plenty of other places around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

They want you to be off the bike so you don't feck off without paying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JABKELL

The manger even said he was a biker himself and understood the reason why I filled the bike in this way!!!

As I said never experienced this in 25 years of biking. I Definitely won't use the garage again.
    I rode about 2km to another garage and filled up sitting on the bike as I always have. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

mamax wrote: »
    They want you to be off the bike so you don't feck off without paying ;)

Haha.
    Sitting or not sitting on the bike won't prevent theft. It takes less than a second to get back on the bike after filling the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Apparently there is risk of explosion.

I never know why people make such an effort to fill their tank to the max anyway, it'll probably just go out the overflow.

Both points nicely explained here:

http://motorbikewriter.com/how-to-fill-your-motorcycle-tank/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Apparently explosion...horse pony.

Its to stop you driving off without paying.

If you dont want this to happen then make an effort to take off the helmet first and gloves and you wont have a problem.

You can see the garages point of view surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Another fcuking "poor us" thread...oh the inconvienience of it all....do you make your pizza delivery guy put his bike on the main stand and remove his lid before you pay him...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

listermint wrote: »
    Apparently explosion...horse pony.

Its to stop you driving off without paying.

If you dont want this to happen then make an effort to take off the helmet first and gloves and you wont have a problem.

You can see the garages point of view surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://www.megarider.com/Articles/refueling.html

"[..] if the rider is sitting on the bike, it is unlikely to be on a stand, either sidestand or main stand. Thus, if the rider is sitting on the bike, he then cannot escape the fire without dropping the bike. And when the rider drops the bike trying to escape fuel will spill fuel all over the service station. This fuel will probably also ignite, causing a massive fire that will endanger the lives of many other people"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Haha.
    Sitting or not sitting on the bike won't prevent theft. It takes less than a second to get back on the bike after filling the tank.
    You will be able to rob more petrol if you get off the bike because they wont stop the pump @1.50. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Same thing happend me in Texaco OP . Attended switched off the pump and signaled me to take off my helmet before he turned it back on .

Guess majority of them are worried you can take off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

one of the rude feckers had the audacity to interrupt me on my phone while I was filling up and told me to put out my cigarette

Wossack wrote: »
    one of the rude feckers had the audacity to interrupt me on my phone while I was filling up and told me to put out my cigarette

What a cont..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Explain to the manager, calmly, that you will henceforth be taking your business somewhere that does not assume that you're a criminal. And never darken the door again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Or just get off yer arse, notice they didn't request OP remove his helmet which would lead me to believe it's more of a safety thing than anything else.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think I may have posted about this recently, not sure.

Anyway same thing happened to me at the Apple Station in Kinsealy, Malahide Road.. I pumped about €1:50 and the pump was switched off.

Then I was told (over the public address system in the forecourt) to dismount my bike to fill up.

I was fooking livid and had it out with the staff about addressing me like that.

I emailed their head office to be told its their policy due to health and safety grounds.. They even provided me with safety guidelines on refueling a bike and lots of other information. In fairness they took the time to provide me with a lot of information I hadn't been aware of.

However I took my business elsewhere because I can't be arsed dismounting my bike to fill up, laziness probably but I just couldn't be bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I think I may have posted about this recently, not sure.

Anyway same thing happened to me at the Apple Station in Kinsealy, Malahide Road.. I pumped about €1:50 and the pump was switched off.

Then I was told (over the public address system in the forecourt) to dismount my bike to fill up.

I was fooking livid and had it out with the staff about addressing me like that.

I emailed their head office to be told its their policy due to health and safety grounds.. They even provided me with safety guidelines on refueling a bike and lots of other information. In fairness they took the time to provide me with a lot of information I hadn't been aware of.

However I took my business elsewhere because I can't be arsed dismounting my bike to fill up, laziness probably but I just couldn't be bothered.
    You have to get off the bike to pay anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I want to start paying with a card at the pump so I don't have to take gloves off or got off the bike at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

chillin117 wrote: »
    You have to get off the bike to pay anyway

Seriously?.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just never occurred to me to fill up the bike while sitting on it. If I needed to fill to the top, I'd put it on the centre stand. Maybe it's some kind of sub-conscious self preservation thing :confused:. After 16 years of hopping off the bike, it's pretty ingrained. Have never been asked to take off my helmet, either filling up or going into the shop to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I don't get off the bike because I fill the tank each time. I do, however, kick down the side stand while remaining on the bike for the reason mentioned already, that if something ignited I could make a quick getaway without dumping the bike. The petrol station I go to every week has no issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

Petrol station next to me had a bike fire last year, but they still let me fill the tank while on the bike and they have never stopped me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mecanno37 wrote: »
    Petrol station next to me had a bike fire last year, but they still let me fill the tank while on the bike and they have never stopped me.

Was the fire related to filling up or just a bike fire because of electrics?

Some old farts here will remember not getting served at all in a petrol station,pub, restaurant if you had a lid ....you new guys are all soft...:rolleyes::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some old farts here will remember not getting served at all in a petrol station,pub, restaurant if you had a lid ....you new guys are all soft...:rolleyes::P
    Would it not be a bit inconvenient drinking a pint or eating a meal whilst wearing a helmet? I suppose a half-face helmet might be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Lumen wrote: »
    Would it not be a bit inconvenient drinking a pint or eating a meal whilst wearing a helmet? I suppose a half-face helmet might be OK.

ATGATT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I worked in a petrol station in the mid 90's, and the policy was to make sure motorcyclists had dismounted before filling up, and helmets removed before coming into the shop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

As mentioned it's company policy cloaked as H&S. H&S get the blame for a lot of things when it's some bod dreaming up stuff to justify their job.

I worked in a petrol station too (nightshift) in the mid-90s in Scotland and never asked anyone to dismount or take their helmet off. I used to let most folk in the shop as well. (Hashheads are too much hassle back and forth on the hatch).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I remember and I'm not an old fart :eek:
    I also remember been followed around shops by staff so I used to turn around quickly and look them right in the eye, frighted the fook outta them young wans that were sent off to watch us :D

Anyhoo when filling petrol I take off lid before I start to fill up then lean on the bike to force it upright to get as much in as possible, if anyone got a problem with that they will be told to f**k right off !

Advertisement