Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike and car

• 05-10-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, Im thinking of getting a bike for commuting to work. Nothing big, maybe 125 or something slightly bigger. I have never had a bike. I currently have a car. Im looking for some advice. Is the cost much more to have both? any suggestion?

Comments

Well if you never had one you'll need gear + ibt + licence ,
    That'll be 1000 straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Lyndsey3000

It is a bit expensive starting off but worth it. it cost me around €600 for the IBT and then good helmet and boots €400, depending on textile gear or leathers will determine how much top & trousers will cost. My insurance for the year is €350 as a provisional rider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I have both, but been riding almost 10 years.

Bike is cheap to run, but you still have expenses just like a car - tax (very cheap), insurance, servicing, tires, petrol etc.

And has been mentioned, good gear including helmet. Don't scrimp on this area, buy the best you can afford (and that fits), it literally could save your life.

You also now must do mandatory training before going on the road.

Once you get sorted initially, day to day running costs are very good and for me the time saved commuting is the best part of it.

How far distance and time wise are you looking at now? I wouldn't be bothered going by bike if you have a long distance to go or all motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conor03

Hi all, thanks for the replies and advice.

@colm_c I am looking at 100k round trip for work spending 60 a week on petrol. I was hoping a bike might cut commuting time and also the cost of petrol for me. Im also changing jobs next week which will increase my commuting time and distance.

Half of my journey is motorway but it is bumper to bumper for majority of it.

What kind of figures are we talking with maintenance, service, tax etc? How does a bike compare to a car petrol wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Taking a 125 on a motorway will be bad craic, most of them start struggling after about 80kph. If you're over 24, get an A category bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Conor03 wrote: »

@colm_c I am looking at 100k round trip for work spending 60 a week on petrol. I was hoping a bike might cut commuting time and also the cost of petrol for me. Im also changing jobs next week which will increase my commuting time and distance.

What kind of figures are we talking with maintenance, service, tax etc? How does a bike compare to a car petrol wise?

Maintenance is fine unless you drop it. Keep on top of oil, tyres and check that the chain is not loose every week or so(probably get away with longer but im all paranoid about that).

Tax is cheap. Petrol is where you really save money. I use a GN 125 for commuting to work and 7euro gets me 180-200k of sensible driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Taking a 125 on a motorway will be bad craic, most of them start struggling after about 80kph. If you're over 24, get an A category bike.

Are you serious? Never heard of a 125 that wouldn't hit 80mph barring mopeds etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Are you serious? Never heard of a 125 that wouldn't hit 80mph barring mopeds etc.

they do but it vibrates like a jackhammer at that speed for too long. and forget about overtaking. im on the motorway for maybe 10 mins in my commute so its not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Rory28 wrote: »
    they do but it vibrates like a jackhammer at that speed for too long. and forget about overtaking. im on the motorway for maybe 10 mins in my commute so its not bad.

Change over to an NSR or similar 2 stroke, no problem running motorway speeds all day.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Change over to an NSR or similar 2 stroke, no problem running motorway speeds all day.

im getting rid of the 125 soon as i save a bit more money. looking to get a supermoto because i dont want to grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Taking a 125 on a 100k round trip would be bad crack.

But tbh taking any motorbike on 100K round trip every morning of the week may not be much crack either.

Its a fair journey tbh and possibly just on the cusp or over the cusp that id be willing to daily travel. A car might be just purely more comfortable for the distance.

tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

listermint wrote: »

But tbh taking any motorbike on 100K round trip every morning of the week may not be much crack either.

Its a fair journey tbh and possibly just on the cusp or over the cusp that id be willing to daily travel. A car might be just purely more comfortable for the distance.

tbh

A cars no good if the traffic is bumper to bumper. A 125 is no good for a commute off 100km. A 400+ would be needed to be comfortable, it's doable on a 125 but you'll be pushing it hard all the time. For a commute that long quality gear with heating is required.

If the OP gets the bike they'll soon learn that there's a more fun way to get to work on the R road that the motorway replaced.

Depends on the bike. I started out on a GZ250, was never able to get it to go faster than 90kph. And that's flat out at the engine limiter in top gear with a mile or two of runway.

listermint wrote: »

tbh

I do a 90km round trip (granted it's on a big comfy bike) and it's doable in most weathers, and is very worth it in the city and at rush hour.

Left city centre at 5pm this evening and was home (out past naas) at 6:05. Would have easily been 7 by the time I got near naas in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

As other posters have said, a large capacity bike will be more comfortable and better, something like a deauville, it's got fairing to protect you from most of the elements. Fairly decent on the motorway too.

According to fuelly you'd get around 44mpg:
    http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nt650_deauville

Maintenance is no more expensive than a car with a good indy, but needs to be done regularly.

Tax is cheap (88 euro per year at the top end), insurance is ok ( it's going to be painful first time out)

I would go take a lesson or two and see how you like it, it's quite a different thing to driving a car, requires a more full on commitment and awareness. But it is fun, especially if you get into it and as other posters have said, you'll want to take alternative roads home with nice twisties! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where (roughly) is the commute from and to?
    100km round trip is nowhere near as bad as mentioned above. I was doing 90km around the m50 daily all year round up until earlier this year. Saving 45minutes most mornings and evenings, spending less than 30e on petrol and no charge for the m50 toll.
    If it's going to be during rush hour, 125 will be fine. If not, a 250 is more than comfortable.at motorway speeds.
    Remember you won't be able to use the motorway until you pass your test!
    A lot of bikes need more-frequent servicing than cars but mainly just oil and filter which is handy to look after yourself. Tyres area expensive but you only need two. First year is dear getting kitted out but if you buy decent gear, most of it will last you years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I do a 90km round trip (granted it's on a big comfy bike) and it's doable in most weathers, and is very worth it in the city and at rush hour.

Left city centre at 5pm this evening and was home (out past naas) at 6:05. Would have easily been 7 by the time I got near naas in the car.

I'll never complain about commuting from Cabra to Ringsend ever again! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If you're over 24 and simply looking for an easier/cheaper way to travel that distance, I'd recommend a suzuki Bergmann 250 or 400 big scooter. Easy to ride and well capable of motorway speeds in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conor03

Thanks all for the replies. So what I have gathered from all the comments is that the start up cost is the worst part. After that day to day running costs and maintenance costs are quite cheap. I would want to look at getting 250 or 400. What type of mileage is good for a bike. Can anyone suggest makes/models?

Thanks all for the replies. So what I have gathered from all the comments is that the start up cost is the worst part. After that day to day running costs and maintenance costs are quite cheap. I would want to look at getting 250 or 400. What type of mileage is good for a bike. Can anyone suggest makes/models?

depends on what type of bike you want.
    Sports, cruiser, naked, scooter, enduro?

cbr, ninja 250 for sport. maybe a hornet for naked(never rode one so cant say if its any good).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I do a 60km round trip commute from North Dublin to the city center every day and it's fine, another 15km each way wouldn't be too bad.

I've a 600cc fazer and to be honest I'm not sure I would want anything less especially on the m1 that I go via.

As far as cost goes, 1k for ibt + gear minimum and a few k for a bike. I spend no more than 20e a week on petrol, 80e a year road tax, 400e at the moment on insurance and maintenance costs probably average out 400e per year. (Tyres, oils, brake pads, chain, sprokets etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

You need a youngish Honda Deauville with heated grips, abs and possibly a restricter.
    That's what my buddy said 12 years ago. I'm on my second one now and commute about 80km per day.
    I got my first one in the UK, which has come cheap again.
    And don't listen to all the hell raisers that want you on something with more power and guts. Rush-hour duel carriageways and power/guts are polar opposites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Something reliable with a bit of protection from the weather, decent lights, heated grips, proper exhaust and maybe a top box.
    If you do not have a comfortable riding position and good gear you just won't stick with that kind of commute for very long, so try a few bikes and keep an open mind, have a look at what other commuters are riding, especially those of us that ride through the winter.

I commute from Greystones to the city centre every day year round on a Yamaha XT1200z, it works for me because the riding position is good, it is tall enough to filter easily with good visibility, the screen gives good cover and it it very nimble in traffic compared to my previous bike (1200GS).
    It definitely is not the bike that I thought I would be commuting on originally, but it emerged as the best option over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Do it OP, you won't regret it.

Advertisement