Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audible - recommendations

Options
  • 05-10-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I have two credits on audible, and looking for some personal recommendations on decent scifi and or fantasy audio books if anybody could recommend?

A poor narrator can ruin a good book hence asking for recommendations fron people who have actually listened to the Audio book!

For reference, as regards SciFi have read ome Philip k dick and recently listened to the Martian which I enjoyed.

As regards fantasy, just finishing off reading the dark tower again, have read wheel of time, Raymond feist that kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sirwin357

I just listened to pride and prejudice vs zombies. It is excellent quality and as the title dictates, extremely funny. You can.. Buy it.. . Oh and don't bother with the film version, its pure muck. I have been searching the net for an audio version of Julian May's Saga of The Exiles and Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Still no joy. If you ever come across either please post. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The Martian was my fist audio book too.

Without a doubt World War Z by Max Brooks is the best audio book i have listened to.

The Iain M. Banks Culture novels are excellent

The book of strange new things by Michael Faber was very interesting also.

Currently listening to the Dark Tower by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

World War Z is an audiobook of mind boggling quality. John Turturro, Alan Alda, Mark Hamill all doing sections iirc.

I must dig it out again actually.

I don't think it's on audible but Roger Zelazny reading the Amber books himself is fantastic if you can find the unabridged version - I listen to them once a year at least.

The Black Company has a good version on Audible iirc, they also have Will Wheaton reading Ready Player One which I enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers for all the tips. I have read world war z previously, really enjoyed it, will consider it for the next time! I ended up getting the following for my four credits
    - the grapes of wrath
    - catch 22 (read it years ago but can't remember much more than Irving Washington)
    - the girl with all the gifts
    - the stand

Just to feedback into this thread, the SciFi/fantasy books I have listened to are the dark tower 1-4 (narration is great). the way kings (Sanderson), decent but thought the female narration was weak, very long! The Martian, excellent.

I have also been listening to the the girl with the dragon tattoo series, again I like the narrator on this one as well, very relaxing, great for going to sleep!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A bit violent but Correia's urban fantasy series Grimnoire Cronicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

The Cycle of Arawn is excellent. The relationship between the two main characters is brilliant and it is hilarious at times. The narration is a bit jarring at first but you soon forget about. And with the omnibus edition on Audible you 60 hours of audiobook for one credit, bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Thanks for recommendations, world war z was a brilliant production.
    If you like Terry Pratchett, the books read by Stephen Briggs are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

I just finished We Are Legion, We Are Bob (book 1 of the bobiverse). The rating were very true, it's a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭unreg999

All of the Dresden Files are pure amazing... read by yer man who played Spike in Buffy (James Masterson?) except the 2nd last one that was read by someone else for some reason but then re-recorded...
    Can't wait for the next one!
    Currently listening to Blood of Elves which is also excellent :)

Advertisement