Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Roman coin found...

Options
  • 05-10-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Folks,

An old neighbor found what we think might be a Roman coin while digging the garden. We're in the South East of Ireland. As you can see, one side is quite readable, while the other is completely worn.

bXaRUZ.jpg

xQQjpx.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions on how genuine it might be??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

onrail wrote: »
    Folks,

An old neighbor found what we think might be a Roman coin while digging the garden. We're in the South East of Ireland. As you can see, one side is quite readable, while the other is completely worn.

bXaRUZ.jpg

xQQjpx.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions on how genuine it might be??
    It might well be genuine, but how it got there is the real question.
    You need to contact the National Museum of Ireland as soon as you can. They have the expertise to assess the find, and its context.
    Do you know when it was found?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm not a coin expert so I cant comment on whether its genuine or not.
    I can tell you eBay is full of these things, with an average price of about E5.
    My guess would be someone picked one up somewhere and lost it in the garden.
    Its probably worth getting it appraised just to be on the safe side.

From an archaeological context, the Romans never settled in Ireland (it was too cold for them) so its highly unlikely your neighbour has stumbled across a Roman settlement in his back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

While Roman settlement didn't happen or at least we have zero evidence so far, that doesn't mean trade didn't happen.

I've read of Roman coins and jewellery found in areas such as Tara and Cashel, along with other less important sites.

Could have been dropped by a visiting trader or have been payment towards a person here who then lost it.

I believe they were sure a Roman fort had been found think maybe near Dublin, not sure. But I don't know if they ever properly excavated it. The most prominent theory was a trade post, completely possible I suppose a few Roman traders may have built one to Roman spec of you will.

Would be fascinating for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Emperor Diocletian which would date it to 285 to 305 AD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

While Roman settlement didn't happen or at least we have zero evidence so far, that doesn't mean trade didn't happen.

I've read of Roman coins and jewellery found in areas such as Tara and Cashel, along with other less important sites.

Could have been dropped by a visiting trader or have been payment towards a person here who then lost it.

I believe they were sure a Roman fort had been found think maybe near Dublin, not sure. But I don't know if they ever properly excavated it. The most prominent theory was a trade post, completely possible I suppose a few Roman traders may have built one to Roman spec of you will.

The area itself is quite rural, but there are numerous ancient raths and forts quite close by - I've no exact age or definition of these but it was always said the 'the Danes' were in the area.

Funnily enough, I came across a folklore collection for the parish recently which gave an account of a 'money-hole' in that specific townland where soldiers were supposedly buried with money! Just folklore of course, but certainly intriguing.

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    You need to contact the National Museum of Ireland as soon as you can. They have the expertise to assess the find, and its context.

Therein lies the problem - the prospect of archaeologists digging around his garden would be the neighbour's worst nightmare so he won't want to publicise in any way.

Coin was found a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I'm no expert, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a fake - it just looks wrong.

On the front Diocletian is facing left, which is very rare and the lack of any markings on the rear seems suspicious when the front is so clear, but it's hard to be certain as the photo is a bit fuzzy. Also, it looks too neat, there is no flashing around the edges i.e. excess metal after the coin was stamped in the mint.

TBH if I had to guess I'd suggest it looks like a coin made by a re-enactor.

Again, I'm no expert on coins. You could have it checked out by the National Museum or post some images on a coin collectors website and see what the experts think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

slowburner wrote: »

Therein lies the problem - the prospect of archaeologists digging around his garden would be the neighbour's worst nightmare so he won't want to publicise in any way.

Excavations tend to be very small and rapid affairs. There is no loud noises or machinery involved so I'd be surprised if it upset neighbours in way.

It's extremely unlikely that there would be any kind of excavation based on the discovery of a single find.

Stray archaeological objects (i.e. objects not found during an excavation) are continuously being handed in to the National Museum and are recorded in the topographic files.

For any one who is interested, the states dedicated archaeological research organisation The Discovery Programme have recently completed a project called LIARI - Late Iron Age and Roman Ireland which investigated the links between Ireland and the Roman world. Their research has been published in a new book.
    http://wordwellbooks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1616

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The Discovery Programme have recently completed a project called LIARI - Late Iron Age and Roman Ireland which investigated the links between Ireland and the Roman world. Their research has been published in a new book.
    http://wordwellbooks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1616
    Sadly, it seems that the second phase of the project has been shelved due to the absence of funding.
    Since 2008, the Discovery Programme has had its budget cut by 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Think it's up near annagassan in louth. Not 100% though.

Op mentioned the Danes which would allude to "Vikings". With that in mind if the coin is genuine its probably through trade (or looted)
    Also don't completely dismiss the local folklore there's probably a small bit of truth in it. Although could be some man got buried with a few pennies and grew from there lol.
    Could be more truth in it than you think and if so coin could come from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Can any of you advise me why one side is almost perfect, but the other side appears, even given the out-of-focus pic - to be not only clean, but flat?

tac

post some images on a coin collectors website and see what the experts think.

Could anyone point me to such a website? I'm struggling to find anything obvious from Google.

Diocletian coins - http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=444 - note the other side details.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It looks all wrong to me. The edges are wrong and the reverse is blank, not worn. It is not even a coin.

Could anyone point me to such a website? I'm struggling to find anything obvious from Google.

http://www.coinproject.com/search_emperor.php?emp=Diocletian&city=&type=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm not a coin expert so I cant comment on whether its genuine or not.
    I can tell you eBay is full of these things, with an average price of about E5.
    My guess would be someone picked one up somewhere and lost it in the garden.
    Its probably worth getting it appraised just to be on the safe side.

From an archaeological context, the Romans never settled in Ireland (it was too cold for them) so its highly unlikely your neighbour has stumbled across a Roman settlement in his back garden.

I think these lads had a look but it all went a bit Deliverance:
    http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/ireland-archaeologists-discover-remains-of-massacred-roman-legionnaires/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It looks all wrong to me. The edges are wrong and the reverse is blank, not worn. It is not even a coin.

Well, that would be good in itself. Picture all the refugees on their way back and fourth during those times.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Well, that would be good in itself. Picture all the refugees on their way back and fourth during those times.

I'm obviously missing something here in this comment, but I really don't understand what you are getting at.

Refugees from what? According to the article - which looks to me like a spoof*, BTW, the Romans invaded and got their asses whupped by the locals - in the 1st century CE. The use of the term 'legionaires' rather than 'legionaries' is somewhat odd, as is the spelling O'neal. If he exists, does he REALLY spell his name like that?

The coin, on one side at least, shows the Emperor Diocletian, who wasn't even born until around 244 CE.

tac

*Read some of the other stuff off this site - 'man has sex with Obama statue....' et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm obviously missing something here in this comment, but I really don't understand what you are getting at.

Refugees from what? According to the article - which looks to me like a spoof*, BTW, the Romans invaded and got their asses whupped by the locals - in the 1st century CE. The use of the term 'legionaires' rather than 'legionaries' is somewhat odd, as is the spelling O'neal. If he exists, does he REALLY spell his name like that?

The coin, on one side at least, shows the Emperor Diocletian, who wasn't even born until around 244 CE.

tac

*Read some of the other stuff off this site - 'man has sex with Obama statue....' et al.

That's some mad story they put up there. In my local area Tallaght, Dublin, a 'legend' got left of a cohort of 'Greeks' who wernt attacked but succumbed to disease.

Failing a proper archaeological dig in the area, I might be interested in who actually ran that land back then. A little more now becuase as you point out the coin is at least up to Dolciens time and a little more should be known. OP?

• Advertisement

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Failing a proper archaeological dig in the area, I might be interested in who actually ran that land back then. A little more now becuase as you point out the coin is at least up to Dolciens time and a little more should be known. OP?

Tbh I'm not the best person to be asking! The area is the rural east coast of Wexford. Plenty of evidence of viking settlement around but that's the extent of my knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Some Byzantine coins were found in Waterford in the Woodstown settlement. No idea on how genuine yours is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

Could it be a medal of some sort? That might explain the blank side....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Might be a reproduction coin from a collection like this.

399462.JPG

Advertisement