Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants next door...

Options
  • 05-10-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

My neighbour has just rented out next door, firstly he got rid of previous tenants who were a lovely family saying he was selling house, he was doing some work to house for a few months but then magically decided to rerent it for much higher rent( perhaps that was his plan all along but he claimed he changed his mind about selling). I'd say his previous tenants could take a case if they knew but don't know if they do and they were here a number of years. Anyway he has decided to rent to a group of lads(oh despair), it appears to me that there is a lot more living there then he said(3 he told me) they keep the curtains closed day and night, it's all a bit bizarre. Anyway so far they are relatively quiet but should it become a problem with noise is there anything I can do on the basis of more living there than there is supposed to be? I know it was rented through an agent so if I've a problem should I contact them or the landlord? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Thestones wrote: »
    My neighbour has just rented out next door, firstly he got rid of previous tenants who were a lovely family saying he was selling house, he was doing some work to house for a few months but then magically decided to rerent it for much higher rent( perhaps that was his plan all along but he claimed he changed his mind about selling). I'd say his previous tenants could take a case if they knew but don't know if they do and they were here a number of years. Anyway he has decided to rent to a group of lads(oh despair), it appears to me that there is a lot more living there then he said(3 he told me) they keep the curtains closed day and night, it's all a bit bizarre. Anyway so far they are relatively quiet but should it become a problem with noise is there anything I can do on the basis of more living there than there is supposed to be? I know it was rented through an agent so if I've a problem should I contact them or the landlord? Thanks

So, no issues have occurred? Mind your own business maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Maybe they wont be any trouble.
    Had 4 or maybe 6 lads moved in next door to me.
    No problems tbh, and let me know 2 nights before if they were having a party.
    So I had no issues, they worked different shifts, so at any given time there were only 3 there at a time.
    Football matches were a bit loud, lol but I have 4 grown sons so was used to it.
    Maybe they will be the best neighbours you have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I there a limit on the number of people who can live in a house now?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

dollyk wrote: »
    Maybe they wont be any trouble.
    Had 4 or maybe 6 lads moved in next door to me.
    No problems tbh, and let me know 2 nights before if they were having a party.
    So I had no issues, they worked different shifts, so at any given time there were only 3 there at a time.
    Football matches were a bit loud, lol but I have 4 grown sons so was used to it.
    Maybe they will be the best neighbours you have had.

Yeah hopefully it will be fine, I'm not going to do anything unless they cause problems, there was a bit of noise last night but they are only in a few days so I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now. Just the nature of lads being lads you worry will they be very loud! Thanks

So they're all lads (oh despair!!!), who keep their curtains/blinds closed to stop nosey parkers (hint hint) from knowing thier comings and goings, they're not loud and you have no issues with them in the gaff.........what is the problem here exactly?

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    I there a limit on the number of people who can live in a house now?

The landlord specifically said it was 3 so if it was 6 perhaps he might want to know? To be honest if it's 10 I don't care as long as they don't wake my kids at night they can do what they like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Have you tried introducing yourself? Welcoming them to the area etc, finding out a bit about them?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So they're all lads (oh despair!!!), who keep their curtains/blinds closed to stop nosey parkers (hint hint) from knowing thier comings and goings, they're not loud and you have no issues with them in the gaff.........what is the problem here exactly?

Christ I only asked if there is a problem who should I contact! I've never actually lived beside renters before believe it or not so not sure what one does if noise does become an issue! That's all

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

What´s the problem with the curtains closed all the day?

I have mine closed as it is better environment for the projector. Tbf, I don't want people observing my living room when I am resting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Christ I only asked if there is a problem who should I contact! I've never actually lived beside renters before believe it or not so not sure what one does if noise does become an issue! That's all

But you already said the previous occupants were renting! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

My neighbour has just rented out next door, firstly he got rid of previous tenants
    I've never actually lived beside renters before believe it or not

OP you are being ridiculous. Leave them be. If a problem comes up then speak to the landlord at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yes guys you're being a bit harsh on the OP here. I'd be worried too if a gang of lads moved in next door to me too.

However, you can never judge, they may work shift work and that's why the curtains are closed and if they do then they are most likely hard working lads who may be noisy once a week or so.

Don't worry too much until something does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Yeah hopefully it will be fine, I'm not going to do anything unless they cause problems, there was a bit of noise last night but they are only in a few days so I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now. Just the nature of lads being lads you worry will they be very loud! Thanks

When I had problems in the past with drug dealing, and cars pulling up at all hours, I contacted the owner.
    I have his number, and he knows I wont ring unless there is a problem.
    I doubt landlord, will check how many is there, once he gets his rent.
    If you find they are really loud, and keeping the kids awake, maybe knock
    on and say it, most lads will be ok. heres hoping
    I know how you feel though, houses either side of me rented for years.
    So far so good.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Have you tried introducing yourself? Welcoming them to the area etc, finding out a bit about them?

Come on, who does this? Are we living in a movie about American suburbia?

If someone comes to your house in this manner I'd just be thinking they're only being nosey and trying to pump information out of out about who you are, where' you're from and what you're about. People ought to mind their own business.

An OP if you are noticing that their curtains are closed then you have been nosey trying to discreetly look in their windows. As such, I don't blame them for closing the curtains if this is what they've to deal with.

Tl;dr Mind your own business op.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If there is a problem - and its a big if considering they have just moved in - have a word with them. If the problem persists then the landlord. But the reality is you are expecting to have a problem when you may not have any issue at all.
    It seems that you liked the previous tenants and are bit put out by the fact he has re-rented. By all means the previous tenants may have a case with the fact the landlord changing his tune. But that is between the landlord and the previous tenant - not you.

Seve OB wrote: »
    But you already said the previous occupants were renting! :confused:

We bought house and moved in, we only crossed over with previous tenants for a brief time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

OP, I understand your situation, I think most people (be it based on personal experience or not) expect the worst case scenario. I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about them until there is an actual problem, no point stressing yourself out needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is that you, Hyacinth?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

OP, I understand your situation, I think most people (be it based on personal experience or not) expect the worst case scenario. I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about them until there is an actual problem, no point stressing yourself out needlessly.

Based on what the OP has said, why would most people expect the worst case scenario? The OP hasn't said they have done anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

'Renters'...are you aware that renters are just people that don't happen to have a mortgage yet?

Would you be so worried if a group of friends had all chipped in to buy a house together and were living next door with the curtains closed?
    Or would they be superior because they have a mortgage, so therefore will clearly conduct themselves in a far more civilised manner...

Jesus OP get a grip, if they do start making noise then take it up with the LL or agency dealing with same. But surely until something actually does happen, you've better things to be doing with your time than making up scenarios that may or not happen

• Advertisement

Guys, there really is not need for the abuse been thrown at the OP over this post. She simply has a concern.

Do none of you worry about who has moved in next door to you? Especially if you have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

pilly wrote: »
    Guys, there really is not need for the abuse been thrown at the OP over this post. She simply has a concern.

Do none of you worry about who has moved in next door to you? Especially if you have children.

Of course, if they're actually doing something wrong!
    But these people are not...the OP just sounds like she is judging as they are renting which makes her sound like a snob.

Thank you, an actual reasonable post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

It's a bit dramatic to be considering who to complain to, fear for your kids, etc etc before anything actually happens.

give them the benefit of the doubt. Until something happens, then it's a non issue.

Speculating and thinking as you do at the moment will only set your mind to believing they are guilty of something that hasn't happened yet or will probably never happen.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Of course, if they're actually doing something wrong!
    But these people are not...the OP just sounds like she is judging as they are renting which makes her sound like a snob.

I don't agree it makes her sound like a snob.

The only reason she mentions that is because she didn't know whether to contact the landlord or the agent if there was a problem.

Anyway, OP, there is no need for you to take personal abuse for simply looking for a piece of advice. My tuppence worth if it helps is that if there is a problem, speak to the lads first, just "can you keep the noise down late at night" or whatever. After that if they keep it up you can contact either the landlord or the agent, they're both responsible for making sure that the tenants don't cause a nuisance to neighbours.

Yeah, think of the children's :p

I don't agree it makes her sound like a snob.

The only reason she mentions that is because she didn't know whether to contact the landlord or the agent if there was a problem.

Anyway, OP, there is no need for you to take personal abuse for simply looking for a piece of advice. My tuppence worth if it helps is that if there is a problem, speak to the lads first, just "can you keep the noise down late at night" or whatever. After that if they keep it up you can contact either the landlord or the agent, they're both responsible for making sure that the tenants don't cause a nuisance to neighbours.

Thank you, you are bang on I only mentioned about renters because I didn't know who I should contact if I need to and that really was the only information I needed.

Would the OP have opened this tread if it was 3 ladettes who had moved in next door?

BobPresto wrote: »
    Would the OP have opened this tread if it was 3 ladettes who had moved in next door?

They probably would be worse!

Seriously though are you just trying to stir?!

• Advertisement

They probably would be worse!

Seriously though are you just trying to stir?!

This was well stirred be I got here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement