Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkov destroys Contador

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

he will be missed... Oleg that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

thekooman wrote: »
    he will be missed... Oleg that is :)

oleg was a bit of craic in a stodgy peleton led by sky. some of the stuff he said about the race organisations and money was probably true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I like Contador as a cyclist but have often read before he's a bit of a dry shīte away from the game and hard to get on with. I don't think Tinkoffs remarks will do him any harm, he already has his contract so I'm sure he won't be too worried by it, it might even spur him into being a bit more personable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I think Contador is probably very dry and overly focused even probably obsessed with what he does ... Many top sports giants are like this ...

Surely its not a major problem for an owner ?

I guess Contador's major sin is he didn't win the Tour. If he had won the Tour Tinkov would hvae been over the top in his praise

As for people not being comfortable around Contador ..I always got that feeling with Roche diaries ...I guess the riders are in awe of Contador and also feel maybe judged in what they are doing plus his personality maybe very awkward in social interactions so they donlt know what to do around him ...but on the otherhand he engenders strong loyalty with some riders not just Spanish ones like Rogers, Tossatto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Also I donlt think Contador is too old yet

He can still win a GT in my book ....no one knows how Froome or Quintana will turn up next year or what mishaps there are a long the way

I think Contador still has a chance but everyone is so quick to write him off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Why the love for a drug cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wiggins? Froome?... oh no, Contador.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I think I speak for everyone when I say Oleg is a complete eejit. Tremendous leadership skills being demonstrated by him. In the end, it doesn't matter, they're both away from each other. Would enjoy Alberto winning a Grand Tour next year, and giving Oleg the finger as he crosses the last line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'd say Contador getting slagged off by Tinkov cos of having no interest in being his bosom buddy is a big positive. What a crass classless man Tinkov signs off as.

The public doesn't need to know everything about how you feel, though the modern know-all, no-depth culture might imagine this the greatest of heresies. Contador by contrast has been pleasant & complimentary in his comments on Tinkov. A whole lot more class imo.

And I remember Tinkov saying how the Giro was his favourite race. Now in terms of Grand Tours all he mentions is Contador crashing in the Tour, no mention of how great it was Contador winning the Giro pretty much without a team, literally not a single teammate generally once the roads went up - bucketloads of character to do that, alone in the mountains every time against an army of Astana. Or Contador beating Froome in the Vuelta after the Tour they both crashed out in the Tour. No, doesn't warrant a mention. Contador not drinking though stands out for Tinkov as something important - Contador now bowing to the will of Tinkoff's fragile & huge ego, so the resentment is buried, festers & of course finally gets let loose now.
    As far as noone likes Contador, I'd say given who this is coming from, at a guess this could well amount to Tinkov slagging off Contador & noone Tinkov is paying contradicting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

pelevin wrote: »
    I'd say Contador getting slagged off by Tinkov cos of having no interest in being his bosom buddy is a big positive. What a crass classless man Tinkov signs off as.

The public doesn't need to know everything about how you feel, though the modern know-all, no-depth culture might imagine this the greatest of heresies. Contador by contrast has been pleasant & complimentary in his comments on Tinkov. A whole lot more class imo.

And I remember Tinkov saying how the Giro was his favourite race. Now in terms of Grand Tours all he mentions is Contador crashing in the Tour, no mention of how great it was Contador winning the Giro pretty much without a team, literally not a single teammate generally once the roads went up - bucketloads of character to do that, alone in the mountains every time against an army of Astana. Or Contador beating Froome in the Vuelta after the Tour they both crashed out in the Tour. No, doesn't warrant a mention. Contador not drinking though stands out for Tinkov as something important. As far as noone likes Contador. I'd say given who this is coming from, at a guess this could well amount to Tinkov slagging off Contador & noone Tinkov is paying contradicting him.
    Agree with all that. Alberto not playing Tinkov's game, so Oleg has a petty, childish moan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Just read it, no doubt in my mind who the tool is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Tinkov's an awful piece of work. He's had some shocking racist, homophobic and anti-semitic outbursts over the years in public, can only imagine what he's like in private.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Wiggins? Froome?... oh no, Contador.

Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught.

Contador is a drug cheat and should never be held in high regard.

Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught.

Contador is a drug cheat and should never be held in high regard.

"Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught." I thought he was caught lying very strongly about No Needles - and taking powerful corticosteroids, & Dave Brailsford caught being a blatant hypocrite, & then talking garbage that he had no idea this substance had a history of ped abuse. No idea why it was banned I suppose & just couldn't be arsed finding out. I'm sure all that was in the news lately. Your high moral stance seems to waver very quickly.

"Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught." I thought he was caught lying very strongly about No Needles - and taking powerful corticosteroids, & Dave Brailsford caught being a blatant hypocrite, & then talking garbage that he had no idea it was taken essentially as a ped. I'm sure that was in the news lately. Your high moral stance seems to waver very quickly.

I don't like Wiggins so dont get me wrong. But if you can give me proof that he failed a drug test then fair enough.

Yes i know he was caught out over the TUE and it did improve his performance no doubt, but it was within the stupid rules.

I don't like Wiggins so dont get me wrong. But if you can give me proof that he failed a drug test then fair enough.

Yes i know he was caught out over the TUE and it did improve his performance no doubt, but it was within the stupid rules.

As J Vaughters has pointed out, if the TUE was obtained dishonestly then, no, that's not in the rules. It's cheating even in a legal sense rather than just an ethical one. The chances of it being punished as a legal infraction are presumably remote but the reality of what happened seems the same either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Ah jaysus lads give it a rest. This thread is about Oleg and Bertie. No need to be bringing Sky into it .

As J Vaughters has pointed out, if the TUE was obtained dishonestly then, no, that's not in the rules. It's cheating even in a legal sense rather than just an ethical one. The chances of it being punished as a legal infraction are presumably remote but the reality of what happened seems the same either way.

Look lets keep it simple.

Did he fail a drug test or do anything illegal that WADA punished him for?

Its a simple YES or NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Asking here because the right people will be reading, sorry to dethread for a moment -
    Still laughing my head off at Tim Krabbé's The Rider. Does anyone know if it's based on a specific race?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Agree with all that. Alberto not playing Tinkov's game, so Oleg has a petty, childish moan.
    Except he did, by trying the Giro - Tour double. Who know's how he might have gone in 2015 focussed on the Tour? That didn't work out, and now the odious man is trying to blame Bert.
    I refer you to stage 15 of this years Vuelta. That's why.

• Advertisement

Look lets keep it simple.

Did he fail a drug test or do anything illegal that WADA punished him for?

Its a simple YES or NO.

Lets keep it simple cos our brains are very small.

Lets keep it simple cos our brains are very small.

No because its against the forum charter

If we're getting into technicalities, WADA did accept that Contador had ingested the drug through contamination; hence he didn't get the full ban.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If we're getting into technicalities, WADA did accept that Contador had ingested the drug through contamination; hence he didn't get the full ban.

So it's a score draw!

So he got his tour win back and is now not down as a drug cheat with wada and didnt serve a ban?

So he got his tour win back and is now not down as a drug cheat with wada and didnt serve a ban?
    Strict liability so doesn't get results back. However, as I said, WADA accepted the contamination, so they haven't him down as a "drug cheat".

Strict liability so doesn't get results back. However, as I said, WADA accepted the contamination, so they haven't him down as a "drug cheat".

I can see anywhere where it says Contador didnt serve a ban and is a clean athlete.
    WADA said he was a drug cheat and on their list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

He's a proven cheater. A thief of others success, drug cheats only add further insult and damage to the sport we love.
    Zero media attention and public accolade is what him and his kind deserve.

Dopes.

This is the environment Contador & practically every successful cyclist of that era entered. Unless one gets some pleasure in damning them all from the height of one's own righteousness, I think it bizarre to have a supposed interest in pro-cycling without accepting this reality was the way things were, and hoping they are cycling clean now. Otherwise as said unless one enjoys feeling self-righteously angry, why have an interest in pro-cycling? It would lead to virtually an unbroken thread of those emotions. Personally I stopped watching cycling for years when I was convinced twas filthy, & have gotten into it again in the last 3 or 4 years. What I care about is whether they're cycling clean now. If I again become convinced the top guys are dirty I'll give up on watching it. I think it's unfair to shove this "proven cheat" stuff about that dirty era down people's throats insisting they derive no pleasure but be angry & bitter instead, & hold on tight to this bitterness. Well I don't really enjoy anger & condemnation. I'd much rather just give up on having an interest in it if that's how I'm supposed to feel. Plenty other things to do with one's time.

• Advertisement

I can see anywhere where it says Contador didnt serve a ban and is a clean athlete. WADA said he was a drug cheat and on their list
    Who said he wasn't sanctioned? He was done on strict liability based on he couldn't prove meat as a source - CAS actually suggested contaminated supplement (rather than blood bags) was most likely.

I'm not saying he his or isn't a drug cheat. I wouldn't stand over anyone in pro cycling, but I certainly wouldn't be sticking the boot into contador while excusing the tramadoled up TUE skybots!

Advertisement