Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon frame OR Ultegra Groupset

Options
  • 05-10-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Upgrading the bike in the next month or so Would love to go with Carbon frame AND Ultegra Groupset BUT no simple economicsteps means the Budget just won't stretch to having both. Budget is 1800. Was I better go with the higher spec frame and a lower spec groupset or vice versa?

Then there's upgrading the wheels.........

Decesions, decesions...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You should be able to get carbon and ultegra for that price. Where have you been looking?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ribble-r872-special-edition-shimano-ultegra-6800/#pid=32816

Great bike. I've had it in 105 and Ultegra spec

If you are going ALU and Ultegra.

It's hard to beat a CAAD12
    https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/cannondale-caad12-ultegra-3-2016-road-bike-EV239393

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

PS. Always go for the best frame you can afford. Parts can easily be upgraded after.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spudbike

Going to use BTW scheme to part fund (thats probably going to kick off a whole other discussion) but don't think I can buy from Online or the UK on that scheme withat my employer. However that Ribble bike looks good and with sterling the way it is its an option.

Have looked at and read good reviews of CAAD12. Currently have Aluminium frame but I believe the new aluminium in the CAAD12 is much lighter

godtabh wrote: »
    PS. Always go for the best frame you can afford. Parts can easily be upgraded after.

Hadn't thought of it that way. It's good advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Is there really that much difference between ultegra and 105 these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Planet-x Ireland are selling the pro carbon ultegra 6800 for a shade under €1600 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Canyon can be got on BTW I believe as they registered for Irish VAT etc just fo rthat purpose https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-7-0-sl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is there really that much difference between ultegra and 105 these days anyway?

No, less than 300g weight and very very little else in terms of ease of use or slickness.

Like said above go for the best frame you. An get within your budget. Even new 4700 Tiagra is a good groupset these days and for the everyday regular user, it would be more than suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No, less than 300g weight and very very little else in terms of ease of use or slickness.

Is our really as much as that? That's a lot!

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »

Says the fat bloke :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

spudbike wrote: »
    Upgrading the bike in the next month or so Would love to go with Carbon frame AND Ultegra Groupset BUT no simple economicsteps means the Budget just won't stretch to having both. Budget is 1800. Was I better go with the higher spec frame and a lower spec groupset or vice versa?

Then there's upgrading the wheels.........

Decesions, decesions...

Both. Get both:

http://planetxireland.com/products-page/sl-pro-carbon/new-planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Canyon can be got on BTW I believe as they registered for Irish VAT etc just fo rthat purpose https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-7-0-sl.html

Is this true; so do u oder d bike and get invoice and give to employer and u get bike after payment. I just don't see that option on there Web site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Is this true; so do u oder d bike and get invoice and give to employer and u get bike after payment. I just don't see that option on there Web site

Yes they you can buy from them through the Irish cycle to work scheme however you can't use a middle man company. Payment is done through electronic transfer so best to check with your company if they can do this.

You order your bike and give the invoice to your accounts dept. As soon as the bike is ready and funds have cleared you're good to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Brian? wrote: »
    Both. Get both
    carbon groupset and ultegra frame?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Canyon can be got on BTW I believe as they registered for Irish VAT
    can depend on the policies of the OP's employer. in this case he mentioned that he can't buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

can depend on the policies of the OP's employer. in this case he mentioned that he can't buy online.

I suspected that could be an assumption on his behalf and is worth asking his employer

I don't like the look of the frame tbh, it looks like it'd flex a bit, too narrow where it counts.

If you aren't going through a payment middleman you can get a nice discount from the bricks&mortar shops at least 10% on the asking. That gives you almost 2K which will open up your options a bit more.

Its a shame you missed the Giant sales really, some nice bikes at nice prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Bricks an mortar for me. Although there is undoubtedly great value online, you can't haggle. Shops will be keen to shift on 2016 models and may even be stuck with and odd 2015. Back a few years ago I bought a Felt F4 with full ultegra at €1650. It had retailed at €2700 the previous year. Lovely bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Delboy007 wrote: »

Yes they you can buy from them through the Irish cycle to work scheme however you can't use a middle man company. Payment is done through electronic transfer so best to check with your company if they can do this.

You order your bike and give the invoice to your accounts dept. As soon as the bike is ready and funds have cleared you're good to go.

Ah thanks you have just mad my year, i will check with my work, as i what a canyon but thought i could never get the 2,500 together for the bike i what, now maybe this could stop been a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Giant store are selling off their 2016 models. TCR Advanced 1 is inside your budget, carbon and ultegra.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.1/25077/90674/

Right then - it looks like defo go for the Carbon Frame and then shop round/haggle for Ultegra. Good to know that it is doable on the Budget though.

lissard wrote: »
    Giant store are selling off their 2016 models. TCR Advanced 1 is inside your budget, carbon and ultegra.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.1/25077/90674/

That's an great bloody bike right there! But it really depends on what you want to do with it 11 - 28 mightn't suit if you're into hill climbing.

If its hills you're after:

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/defy.advanced.1/25073/90684/

Actually it looks like they put the short cage derailler on that, so maybe not so good for hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

Both for a grand? (Second hand but still )

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/boardman-slr-9-8-frame-groupset/13564743

Then 800 to but some lovely wheels. .!!

fat bloke wrote: »

I had both groupsets bought and weighed both. I think it was 280g difference to be specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That's an great bloody bike right there! But it really depends on what you want to do with it 11 - 28 mightn't suit if you're into hill climbing.

Why is 11/28 not suitable for hill climbing? Ive 12/28 and its fine.
    Gear ratios fecking baffle me!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

spudbike wrote: »
    Going to use BTW scheme to part fund (thats probably going to kick off a whole other discussion) but don't think I can buy from Online or the UK on that scheme withat my employer. However that Ribble bike looks good and with sterling the way it is its an option.

Have looked at and read good reviews of CAAD12. Currently have Aluminium frame but I believe the new aluminium in the CAAD12 is much lighter

You would be surprised how smooth alu can be especially if you compare high end alu from respectable brand against low end carbon frameset. In this particular model i would easily take caad12 frameset against any carbon frameset priced in less than 2k.
    Another one owned by me is Canyon AL SLX frameset.

Aluminium frames makes long step during last few years.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Why is 11/28 not suitable for hill climbing? Ive 12/28 and its fine.
    Gear ratios fecking baffle me!

11/28 with compact front chainset (50/34) is more than suitable for 99% of hills/climbs in Ireland.

Advertisement