Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon frame OR Ultegra Groupset

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

godtabh wrote: »
    PS. Always go for the best frame you can afford. Parts can easily be upgraded after.

True words.
    Given your budget this:
    http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2016-super-6-evo-tiagra-mens-road-bike-black-bycdm6evostbbq.html

And currently is on Adverts Ultegra groupset for 350e will give you brand new frameset with lifetime warranty and ultegra groupset for about twelve hundred and you will sell Tiagra which should give you 1k for full bike.
    Its really good price no questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

11/28 with compact front chainset (50/34) is more than suitable for 99% of hills/climbs in Ireland.

That's what I'd have thought.
    11 is just the teeth on the smallest cog, up to 28 on the biggest yes?
    So I've 12 on my smallest cog currently, that'd be a little better than 11 (more teeth for the slower speeds?) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

terrydel wrote: »
    Why is 11/28 not suitable for hill climbing? Ive 12/28 and its fine.
    Gear ratios fecking baffle me!

Find a bigger hill! Nah 28 will be fine for a lot of hills, but 32 gives you the ability to not rely on your muscles and instead use your cardio to spin up that hill. Steep hills are always a tradeoff between your cardio and your lactic build up. You can always catch a breath if required, but lactic build-up is game over.
    I've used the 32 on the way up to Johnny Foxes, but I guess it depends on the cyclist.

Find a bigger hill! Nah 28 will be fine for a lot of hills, but 32 gives you the ability to not rely on your muscles and instead use your cardio to spin up that hill. Steep hills are always a tradeoff between your cardio and your lactic build up. You can always catch a breath if required, but lactic build-up is game over.
    I've used the 32 on the way up to Johnny Foxes, but I guess it depends on the cyclist.

Interesting.
    I'm pretty light (<68kg right now, gave up sugar this week and lost nearly 2kg already!) and as stated I've a 12/28 with a compact 50/34 crank.
    I'm much more a spinner than a power climber, and happy to stay that way. I'd much rather work my cardio in the future, so should I be looking at a compact with a 32 on the back next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

terrydel wrote: »
    That's what I'd have thought.
    11 is just the teeth on the smallest cog, up to 28 on the biggest yes?
    So I've 12 on my smallest cog currently, that'd be a little better than 11 (more teeth for the slower speeds?) ?

Yeah, 11 is going to allow for more speed than 12, while being harder to push. 32 is the other extreme, very easy tp push on a really steep hill (depending on your fitness). I'm sure some guys on here could easily climb anything on a 28, but me myself I have to allow for lactic build up and cardio, my age meaning I have less of both ^ ^.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 11 is going to allow for more speed than 12, while being harder to push. 32 is the other extreme, very easy tp push on a really steep hill (depending on your fitness). I'm sure some guys on here could easily climb anything on a 28, but me myself I have to allow for lactic build up and cardio, my age meaning I have less of both ^ ^.

Thanks for the advice!
    I've not failed to get up any hill yet on a 28, so will bear this in mind when I get round to upgrading! I don't suffer much with lactic that I can tell, I never really cramp up at all. I've plenty of other problems mind you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Canyon can be got on BTW I believe as they registered for Irish VAT etc just fo rthat purpose https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/2016/endurace-cf-7-0-sl.html

Guy in my work got a canyon on bike scheme. Bit of hassle getting canyon to invoice vat separately but he managed it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Guy in my work got a canyon on bike scheme. Bit of hassle getting canyon to invoice vat separately but he managed it

Why would they invoice the VAT separately it's all clearly detailed on the invoice. I had zero issues when ordering from them.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why would they invoice the VAT separately it's all clearly detailed on the invoice. I had zero issues when ordering from them.

Sorry, I'm vague on exact dealings. But I do know that what he needed was outside the standard online process and he was been jumped around between the UK and German offices before getting it sorted.

I can get exact details tomorrow if anybody is interested

That's an great bloody bike right there! But it really depends on what you want to do with it 11 - 28 mightn't suit if you're into hill climbing.

34-28 is as suitable for climbing as you will commonly get on a double ring road bike. Most guys racing have a lowest gear of 39-25 or sometimes even 39-23

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm vague on exact dealings. But I do know that what he needed was outside the standard online process and he was been jumped around between the UK and German offices before getting it sorted.

I can get exact details tomorrow if anybody is interested

No need just seems an odd request of them.

I found their customer service very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

11/28 with compact front chainset (50/34) is more than suitable for 99% of hills/climbs in Ireland.

Agreed. I've a problem with one of my legs that results in it being about 50% as powerful as the other and I can still climb most hills in a 34x28.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Agreed. I've a problem with one of my legs that results in it being about 50% as powerful as the other and I can still climb most hills in a 34x28.

I would have agreed till I drove up tickincor/powers the pot climb today :eek::eek::eek::eek:

How Barry Meehan managed to Everest on that I'll never know. The ramps are ridiculous let alone the entire climb itself.

Serious Kudos to him.

Advertisement