Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Fysh you've been good on the Switch and Comic recommendations so I'll follow you here too :)

I'm not stalking you I swear ;)

Terrifier is back on Shudder and it's a regular Halloween watch for me. Pretty intense gore-fest but if you fear evil clowns you've got to check it out.

Terrified is also a great must see on Shudder for some legitimate chills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since you mention Shudder, how is that Slasher series I see on netflix? I know season 4 is currently airing on Shudder and was meaning to check out the first season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭passatman86

Watched this years ago, more of a family Halloween movie

Hmm not familiar with it... might check it out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I realise it has been years since I last saw The Thing. Given the time of year I must rectify that and remind myself what a gross, paranoid and miserable time it is 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rtron

Watched Gaia last night, it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

I haven't seen that one, but a pre 'Pirates' Disney ride based movie gives me the shudders... in all the wrong ways..

If you want a family friendly Steve Guttenberg ghost movie then might I suggest the Neil Jordan written and directed 'High Spirits' staring Guttenberg as a Yank that's inherrited a failing Irish Castle hotel where spooky shenanigans ensue. It's actually a lot of fun.

Is it the one that made Steve Guttenberg a star?

There's a rake on Amazon I haven't seen.

So will post here as I get through them.

Unholy - British haunted house story - grand

Escape Room (2017) - Alright

• Advertisement

Cinemassacre are doing a month of "Monster Madness" on their old site, rather than on YouTube (apparently they can do an uncensored version on their site), starting with 28 Days Later... always a great way to whet the appetite for the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting thread.

Imo, probably the greatest horror movie of all time has to be John Carpenters The Thing. Well worth a watch (or re-watch) this Halloween people.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Couple of ones I have watched recently:

Hell House LLC is decent

Mandy is another good one but it could turn some people off as it is a bit slow at the start.

Possessor is well worth a watch.

I re-watched The Innkeepers which is really quite a different horror. Very enjoyable.

Also a rewatch was The Exorcist III. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlockPartee

I will be giving the following a rewatch over the next few weeks:

It Follows

The Ring (2002)

Blair Witch Project

I enjoy watching scary films but there are few I rewatch.

My regular re-watches are:

Autopsy of Jane Doe (which will be on Shudder on 10th Oct incidentally)

The Witch

Night of the Living Dead (Shudder again)

Terrifier (Shudder)

.. and then loads of Hammer movies 😎

Just watched "Red Lights" not strictly a horror but was in the horror section. Has a Big cast and really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭El Duda

Good to see this thread is still alive and well. A few recommendations for this year...

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - Not Available

The Thing from Another World - BBC iPlayer

Return of the Living Dead - Not Available

The Exorcist - Sky on Demand

Lost Boys - Not Available

From Dusk til Dawn - Not Available

REC  - Arrow On Demand

Martyrs - Not Available

Dawn of the Dead  - Prime Video, Shudder

Demons - Shudder

Hellraiser - Shudder

Society - Shudder

Ragman

Night of the Demons - Shudder

Demons 2 - Shudder

Vampires - Not Available

I saw the devil - Not Available

the burning - Arrow on Demand

haute tension - Not Available

The Old Dark House - Shudder

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - BFI Player

Alien - Not Available

Halloween III - Coming to Netflix

The Hunger, - Not Available

The Addiction  - Prime Video

The Wailing - Prime Video

Spoorlos - Not Available

Race With the Devil, - Not Available

Chopping Mall - Shudder

Martyrs - Not Available

Audition - Shudder

Night of the Living Dead - BBC iPlayer, Shudder

Hostel 3 - Netflix

Psycho - Sky on Demand

Halloween (1978) - Coming to Netflix

Halloween (2018) - Not Available

Cold Prey - Shudder

Jaws - Netflix

Poltergeist - Not Available

Suspiria - Prime Video

The Devil's Rejects - Sky on Demand

From Beyond - Not Available

The Burning - Arrow on Demand

Carnival Of Souls - Shudder

Frankenstein (1931)

Not Available

Halloween II (1981)

Coming to Netflix

The Hitcher - Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SimpleDimple

new back to boards, but anyhoo I went on a horror run last year. The two that really stood out were the conjuring and hereditary. Hereditary was probably the best horror I’ve ever seen, so looking forward to getting some more now that the days are getting shorter and nights are getting cooler

Post edited by SimpleDimple on

The Conjuring is surprisingly effective... like Haunting of Hill House was

Same with Sinister with Ethan Hawke ... very re-watchable one that was... great acting by Ethan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What about the horror channel?? 4 films a nite from 9pm. Sometimes it can be a classic eg nuns with big guns!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes Hereditary was great, much better than midsommar. Check out hell house llc also on prime it’s very good and original. Also am a big fan of sinister that others mentioned here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

May or may not rewatch Hocus Pocus. Will decide closer the time.

Do any of you choose to watch different types of horrors on Halloween night that you wouldn't watch leading up to it? Or any preference for what you watch on the night? Prefer slasher over psychological? Tension over Comedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Always watch Halloween and The Fog two Carpenter classics.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Could never watch Sinister again. Frightened the life out of me. There's a scene with a lawnmower (I think), that I'll never get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's a December film.

"First goddamn week of winter..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I have a television box that very legally lets me watch 99% of films.

An icon/boxart of a film caught my attention recently and I decided to watch it not realising that it is banned in most countries and was banned in Uk/Ireland up until around 2005.

The film is called "Cannibal Holocaust"

While it has left me scarred for life, I could not take my eyes off it for one second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If there's one recommendation I'll give for a horror film, it's 'Day of the Dead' (1985). Hands down my favourite horror film (and possibly my favourite film? Certainly one of my desert island movies, for sure). One of the grimmest films I've ever seen and it has some of the most amazing practical effects that have been put to use in a movie, courtesy of effects maestro Tom Savini. It's George Romero's favourite of his movies and I have to agree.

Another that I saw during the year (maybe last year) was 'Possum' (I'm sure it's been mentioned already). An excellent British film that channels those old 1970's/80's low budget pictures that if you're a certain age you might remember. Again, a grim and nasty little film that's very creepily done and well worth sticking on. Starring the great Sean Harris and the equally great Alun Armstrong.

There's a German film called 'Hagazussa' that's worth checking out too. Slow moving, but with a very spooky atmosphere. Another foreign film that I'll sign the praises of, but for different reasons is a French film called 'Martyrs', another grim and very disturbing watch, even if the premise is a bit, um, over the top if you analyse it too much.

Another thing I'd recommend is the TV series 'Black Summer'. I was extremely surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

If ye like atmospheric style horror try the The Boat on Amazon prime. Jim Morrison is stuck on a boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think Black Christmas the original from 1974 pretty ideal for Halloween, it would suit Halloween more than actual Xmas, pretty dark for the time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, you could just watch all Carpenter up til, let's say, Ghosts of Mars and still have yourself a good spooky season of cinema. Even his non horror work like Starman had a mood to them. Memoirs of an Invisible Man would be the big Wtf? in that list but the rest would be fun.

Advertisement