Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do I need for a timing belt change on a diesel Corolla 2006

Options
  • 05-10-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have a 2006 2L Diesel Corolla on 117K miles

Its due a timing belt change at 120k Miles but what do I need to change ?

Just the belt and the idle pulley's or should I change the hydraulic tensioner as well ?

Also is the water pump driven off this ? should I change that also ?

thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The water pump is driven off the timing belt so you have to change the water pump as well. Normally the idler pulley and tensioner come as part of the timing belt kit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

With it being 06 are you sure it's a belt? Toyota made the switch to chain in 2006 in the avensis anyways.

With it being 06 are you sure it's a belt? Toyota made the switch to chain in 2006 in the avensis anyways.

I think the chain driven 2.0 engine code is 1AD-FTV which is 125 hp. The Corolla only came with the 1CD-FTV which ranged from 90 to 116 hp if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 welshireland

Just rang the motor factors their 220euro for the water pump gates belt and 2 idle pulleys, the hydraulic tensioner does not come part of the kit its an extra 55euro. would you recommend doing the tensioner as well ?

Mine is a belt I think she is 110 brake horsepower would that sound correct ?

• Advertisement

Just rang the motor factors their 220euro for the water pump gates belt and 2 idle pulleys, the hydraulic tensioner does not come part of the kit its an extra 55euro. would you recommend doing the tensioner as well ?

Checking the repair manual for that car it states:
    Check tensioning roller for leaks and smooth running and replace, if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mine is a belt I think she is 110 brake horsepower would that sound correct ?

116PS (114hp) after 04 I think. Same as 03-06 Avensis 5 speed.

Chain driven only came on the Auris in 07.

Belt would have been due on your car years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

If it is the 1cd-ftv go for the belt AND roller tensioners. Only change the hydraulic tensioner if it leaks when you compress it (SLOWLY!)

Have a look for a red ish seeping liquid from the water pump area. If it is leaking change the pump.

If it has been done at 60k you will probably be ok. The pumps are "long life" pumps.

If you do need the pump changed expect to pay at least another two hours labour. They are an utter pain to do on the 1cd-ftv engine, as you have to remove the fuel pump and fuel pipes to get at the bugger.

I used a gates belt and tensioners for mine, got them on micksgarage for 99 euro during one of their sales. I think if I added the water pump it was about 225.

Ken

It was done at 70,000 miles previous

Hello Ken , thanks for your input, how would I know if it is indeed that serial engine code, would it show on the logbook ?
    thanks

• Advertisement

Is it the 2.0L D4D engine? If so it's a good chance that it is a 1cd-ftv. The top of it should look something like the attached picture

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well the 1nd-tv 89BHP engine finished up in 04 when they did the facelift and brought out the 1.4. They never did the 124hp 6 speed in the old Corolla. It could only be the 1cdftv.

And what Colm said!

Advertisement