Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cost to paint interior of new build?

• 05-10-2016 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey,

Can someone give me a ball park figure for this. If a painter can give his opinion or anyone who recently paid a painter to do their new house please let me know.

My house is being plastered at the moment. I'll be looking for a painter to paint the inside next month but I don't know what price I should expect to be charged.

The house is 2,100 sq.ft in size. I need the ceilings and walls done, labour only. I want 3 coats on them. There'll be 3 colours overall, white on ceilings, and 2 colours throughout on walls.

I'd prefer the 3rd and final wall coat to go on after the 2nd fixing is done because the workmen will damage walls.

I don't need any timber done as it's all coming pre painted.

I have one vaulted ceiling so that would take longer than a normal ceiling.

My budget for the labour is 2,500 euro and about 700 for paint, would that be enough?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

3 coats may not be enough. I had between 4 and 5 depending on colour. Two white under coats (sprayed) and 2-3 finish coats.

Cost around 4.5k including materials and timber work .Same said house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

Hogan24 wrote: »
    Hey,

Can someone give me a ball park figure for this. If a painter can give his opinion or anyone who recently paid a painter to do their new house please let me know.

My house is being plastered at the moment. I'll be looking for a painter to paint the inside next month but I don't know what price I should expect to be charged.

The house is 2,100 sq.ft in size. I need the ceilings and walls done, labour only. I want 3 coats on them. There'll be 3 colours overall, white on ceilings, and 2 colours throughout on walls.

I'd prefer the 3rd and final wall coat to go on after the 2nd fixing is done because the workmen will damage walls.

I don't need any timber done as it's all coming pre painted.

I have one vaulted ceiling so that would take longer than a normal ceiling.

My budget for the labour is 2,500 euro and about 700 for paint, would that be enough?

Thanks.

You're fairly spot on with your prices. It'll be at least 2,500euro for the labour, maybe more, each painter will vary, don't always go with the cheapest unless you're happy with the painter, and as for paint that will fluctuate with the quality of paint.

With a new build I always advise people to use quality paint, especially for the top coats, maybe Colourtrend, so you'd spend about 700 on paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

893bet wrote: »
    3 coats may not be enough. I had between 4 and 5 depending on colour. Two white under coats (sprayed) and 2-3 finish coats.

Cost around 4.5k including materials and timber work .Same said house.

Hi

Completely off topic, but how come it took 4 or 5 coats? New plaster should take no more than 3 coats, 1 white as a base, and 2 top coats. What brand paint did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hogan24

Oh that's quite a lot of coats, hopefully I wont need that many.

Were you happy with your price?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hogan24

PANDDDKP wrote: »
    You're fairly spot on with your prices. It'll be at least 2,500euro for the labour, maybe more, each painter will vary, don't always go with the cheapest unless you're happy with the painter, and as for paint that will fluctuate with the quality of paint.

With a new build I always advise people to use quality paint, especially for the top coats, maybe Colourtrend, so you'd spend about 700 on paint.

Thanks for reply. If I can get it at that price I'll be happy enough.
    I won't go for the cheapest unless I'm happy with the painter.
    The way I see it with any tradesman is I have to like the guy, not just his price, so I'll be judging the painter on his price, knowledge and his overall personality, I don't want a chancer just because he's cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭893bet

PANDDDKP wrote: »
    Hi

Completely off topic, but how come it took 4 or 5 coats? New plaster should take no more than 3 coats, 1 white as a base, and 2 top coats. What brand paint did you use?

Sprayed 2 coats to walls in white and 3 to ceilings.

Then applied 2 coats to walls. Some walls needed 3 coats to get full coverage depending on (Painter didn't ask for extra money to apply the third coat to the applicable rooms, just had to get some additional paint, he just was t happy with the coverage with two finish coats).

Used crown for the White undercoat and dulux for finish coat.

My price included painting of all timber work also.

Advertisement