Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cyclists looking for a €1b investment? - note stay on-topic warning, post #160

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Formerly Secretary General of the Department of Finance (2011–2014), Head of Wholesale Bank Supervision, Central Bank of Ireland (2010 – 2011), CEO and Board Member, Zurich Bank…

* Chair of the Hunt Museum in Limerick - www.huntmuseum.com
    * Establishment of Narrative 4 European office - www.narrative4.com
    * Advice in relation to the funding of Dublin's planned new municipal library - www.parnellsquare.ie
    * Member of the Limerick Economic Forum and other urban redevelopment advisory work - http://www.limerick.ie/limerick-2030-economic-and-spatial-plan-limerick
    * Speaker on urban regeneration and balanced regional development
    * Helping SMEs
    Director and Member of Risk Policy Committee, European Investment Bank

etc, etc. Google is your friend. That's from his LinkedIn profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'd disagree, driving should be taught in schools. Educating drivers early on could help avoid developing bad driver habits over time. Driving is of course a life skill, I hope future generations drive electric cars to the outskirts of towns and cities and have public transport available to carry them from there.

I'm all for public transport but it's never going to completely remove the need for private cars.

I agree completely re cooking and general health and wellbeing. Alcohol abuse awareness is a tricky one but it should be on the school syllabus in my opinion.

I was agreeing with this post until the point were you say...
    I hope future generations drive electric cars to the outskirts of towns and cities and have public transport available to carry them from there.

I'm happy to see electric cars but hate the idea of parking up at the edge of a city only to trek in by public transport...how inconvenient is that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The idea is for it to be more convenient.

Inconvenient for you, very convenient for the residents and tourists of those cities and towns ruined by kilometres of private cars slowly and loudly moving through their town and city centres.

There are many any towns around the country where the locals gave out about the increase of traffic and noise but are now by-passed...now the noise is coming from them saying that business has decreased because they have effectively been taken off the map. Now people from these towns flock to cities for work...
    We need space away from private motor cars. Most decent cities have big broad pedestrian areas, hopefully Dublin, Cork, Limerick and our large towns will follow their lead.

I agree that space is needed but not in the way you suggest...banning cars sounds like something Donald Trump would say. I like the idea of more pedestrianised zones but not at the expense of access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Roadhawk wrote: »
    There are many any towns around the country where the locals gave out about the increase of traffic and noise but are now by-passed...now the noise is coming from them saying that business has decreased because they have effectively been taken off the map. Now people from these towns flock to cities for work...

Nothing at all to do with traffic by-passing. Its known as the donut effect and is caused by big retailers (tesco / lidl / aldi etc) putting their stores outside the town. People now have no reason to go to town and leaving a big hole in the centre.

• Advertisement

Nothing at all to do with traffic by-passing. Its known as the donut effect and is caused by big retailers (tesco / lidl / aldi etc) putting their stores outside the town. People now have no reason to go to town and leaving a big hole in the centre.

Mmmaybe. But Moate, for instance, which had a big campaign to be bypassed because it was just one fuming traffic jam, is now an echoing ghost town, as I understand it.

Not sure what Donald Trump has to do with Irish traffic management but I am pretty sure he would be supporting car manufacturers in their opposition to any changes to the private motor car being allowed to drive wherever it wants.

If I had to explain the Trump reference i'd be a little worried.
    These rural towns were bypassed yes and rightly so but they are still chocka block full of cars on their mainstreets. Bypassing towns did nothing to alleviate traffic congestion. Just another reason they are undesirable to invest in town centres.

The only investment is in large shopping centres outside towns.

It doesnt take too long to get through most towns. 10-15mins...not exactly going to cause a melt down. I havent witnessed many of these "chocka blocked" towns you speak of but i dont doubt they exist.

sopping centres are the way to go

This donut effect might be a contributing factor but so is traffic being by-passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It doesnt take too long to get through most towns. 10-15mins...not exactly going to cause a melt down. I havent witnessed many of these "chocka blocked" towns you speak of but i dont doubt they exist.

sopping centres are the way to go
    Drogheda is a good one.
    A single lane through the centre of the town that is inexplicably busy, given that most shops on the street are shut up.

The two retail parks and closeness to the Pavillions have gutted the town centre.
    There are two shopping centres in the town with plenty of empty units

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember many years ago (too long ago to be able to find the article) reading about traders in balbriggan fighting the idea of the town being bypassed, but actually being delighted with the results because people could actually stop in the town and cross the road. i've not been on balbriggan main street in a while, but i suspect there's a lot more going on than just bypassing the towns in their demise.

i've been in plenty of other towns where there's plenty of traffic passing through, and no bypass, and the town being chock full of empty units. oughterard and caherciveen being two examples.

• Advertisement

i remember many years ago (too long ago to be able to find the article) reading about traders in balbriggan fighting the idea of the town being bypassed, but actually being delighted with the results because people could actually stop in the town and cross the road. i've not been on balbriggan main street in a while, but i suspect there's a lot more going on than just bypassing the towns in their demise.

i've been in plenty of other towns where there's plenty of traffic passing through, and no bypass, and the town being chock full of empty units. oughterard and caherciveen being two examples.

Mm. Well, we may be talking about different things, of course; 'Austerity' has led to many, many businesses collapsing in towns all over Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

exactly. it's probably a combination of multiple factors.

The reason (we'll part of it anyway) that town centres have died is that people don't want to live there anymore
    coupled with a very irish desire to live on half an acre of lawn a mile and a half from the nearest town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cython wrote: »
    You may have said that in jest (maybe you were serious, but the smiley suggested otherwise :)), but there is at least one similar construction in Dublin on a more macro scale (i.e. for a bus lane) where that is precisely the intention: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3260421,-6.3584528,3a,75y,288.67h,83.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjY1zu1yEijXaHgMLUET8fw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

So that interpretation may not be as far from the truth as it seems!
    that'd be an interesting one in court, true.
    unlike the bus lane cython links to, there's a pedestrian crossing there, so it clearly wasn't the same intention.

there are certain junctions where you can do that but that one in particular has a (almost faded out) solid white line across the cycle lane as well as the driving lane so I would assume you are required to stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

eeguy wrote: »
    Drogheda is a good one.
    A single lane through the centre of the town that is inexplicably busy, given that most shops on the street are shut up.

The two retail parks and closeness to the Pavillions have gutted the town centre.
    There are two shopping centres in the town with plenty of empty units
    What single lane is this? West St? You could hardly say the same about the bridge of peace and a dual carriageway running alongside the central river.

Drogheda is abnormally car-dependent, even by dismal Irish norms. The nature of the town centre makes it exceptionally hard to drive there, and people will simply drive elsewhere.

The body politic has no interesting in joining the dots, and many people find it easier to move around the "suburbs" on any mode of transport instead of going to the centre. It's a disaster :(

What single lane is this? West St? You could hardly say the same about the bridge of peace and a dual carriageway running alongside the central river.

The dual carriageway has 12 sets of traffic lights in the 3km between the Crosslanes on the north side of the town and Wheaton Hall on the south side of the town, which many people brave to skip the M1 toll.

This is why Drogheda is gridlocked every morning and evening.

It can easily take 30 mins to get from one side to the other and you're not even driving through the centre of the town.

The dual carriageway has 12 sets of traffic lights in the 3km between the Crosslanes on the north side of the town and Wheaton Hall on the south side of the town, which many people brave to skip the M1 toll.

This is why Drogheda is gridlocked every morning and evening.

It can easily take 30 mins to get from one side to the other and you're not even driving through the centre of the town.
    What's the single lane road then? The rest of the R132 either end of the DC?

Also technically there are 5 sets of traffic lights on that DC, not 12...

The main bottlenecks are at the end of the bridge of peace and the turn for St Mary's bridge - always was and will be, no thanks to the toll in the case of the junction at the bridge of peace.

The problems at St. Mary's bridge haven't much to do with the bypass though.

I daresay the absent infrastructure for any kind of cycling doesn't help mobility around the town either.

What's the single lane road then? The rest of the R132 either end of the DC?

Also technically there are 5 sets of traffic lights on that DC, not 12...

The main bottlenecks are at the end of the bridge of peace and the turn for St Mary's bridge - always was and will be, no thanks to the toll in the case of the junction at the bridge of peace.

The problems at St. Mary's bridge haven't much to do with the bypass though.

I daresay the absent infrastructure for any kind of cycling doesn't help mobility around the town either.

Drogheda is a choca block town.

Technically you're correct, 5 unsynced traffic lights on just over 1km of a dual carriageway. Unfortunately you're still stuck on single lane roads no matter where you go, so it's use as a DC is redundant since whatever time you made up is lost when you have to funnel back to a single lane

Drogheda is a choca block town.

Technically you're correct, 5 unsynced traffic lights on just over 1km of a dual carriageway. Unfortunately you're still stuck on single lane roads no matter where you go, so it's use as a DC is redundant since whatever time you made up is lost when you have to funnel back to a single lane
    It is, and there's all sorts of reasons why. Toll doesn't help in general, what public transport there is can't function on narrow roads everywhere.

The tragedy is that apart from syncing lights, there's almost nothing that can be done to help traffic directly, without some significant cost. The traffic light situation at St. Mary's bridge already severely compromises pedestrian safety and any national guidelines on the subject. Providing access to the other side of the bridge, or the estate agent at the corner (near where Eddie Rockets is) would make the traffic situation worse again.

But what's there right now is frankly a serious hazard, and the fact the only new bicycle lane in Drogheda on existing roads is on an extremely wide s2 road... Don't get me started :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

People use all sorts of things as excuses... Which towns exactly are you talking about? Can you list 10?

I agree that space is needed but not in the way you suggest...banning cars sounds like something Donald Trump would say. I like the idea of more pedestrianised zones but not at the expense of access to them.

I like the idea of pedestrianised zones / cycle paths / etc but I don't want cars disrupted one bit? And I don't want to see millions spent on cycle lanes because... well... because of the cheek of cyclists to ask for less than the target modal share percentage to spent of the transport budget! The cheek of them!

Would the real Donald Trump please stand up!

I'm happy to see electric cars but hate the idea of parking up at the edge of a city only to trek in by public transport...how inconvenient is that...

It's not my idea, but: Maybe less inconvenient than long-distance commuters taking up a silly amount of space in city centres?

• Advertisement

It's not my idea, but: Maybe less inconvenient than long-distance commuters taking up a silly amount of space in city centres?
    +1 to this. But probably only realistic in the four largest cities. Park and rides are not regarded by everyone as sustainable but in combination with electric vehicles and secure bike parking, can make a very big difference

The Lourdes hospital in Drogheda for instance is a major regional hospital but is in an entirely residential area, with 30s era planning and design. Big employer, but no alternative for people to take a car, or if you're lucky enough, a bus in congested traffic. Cycling around there is a near-death experience at peak times right now

monument wrote: »
    People use all sorts of things as excuses... Which towns exactly are you talking about? Can you list 10?

Being from the country yourself im sure you are well aware of 10 towns that have suffered from being bypassed. RTE recently had a show called Bypassed which outlined effected towns

http://www.thejournal.ie/motorways-m7-bpassed-2860860-Jul2016/
    I like the idea of pedestrianised zones / cycle paths / etc but I don't want cars disrupted one bit? And I don't want to see millions spent on cycle lanes because... well... because of the cheek of cyclists to ask for less than the target modal share percentage to spent of the transport budget! The cheek of them!

Would the real Donald Trump please stand up!

No, the check of them going on slow stroll around the city in protest. Pure attention seeking.

"Target" model share...as in proactive spending to hopefully achieve this target? dont think so. Investment should be allocated on the current percentage of model share and be adjusted annually if needed.

"If we build it they will come"... or they might not.

What distance would you catagorised as "long distance"? I dont doubt for a second that if you live within a certain radius of the city centre then cycling or public transport are a sensible mode of transport but what about those who live outside this radius? they may not have public transport as an option. They may not be able to cycle? where is the consideration?

Cycle lanes bring trade to local businesses, cars bring trade out of town, as a general rule of thumb.

Being from the country yourself im sure you are well aware of 10 towns that have suffered from being bypassed. RTE recently had a show called Bypassed which outlined effected towns

http://www.thejournal.ie/motorways-m7-bpassed-2860860-Jul2016/

No, I'm not aware of 10 towns where bypasses caused towns to die or where a bypass caused the residents to flood to cities to get work. So, the question stands:

Do you know 10 towns where bypasses caused towns to die or where a bypass caused the residents to flood to cities to get work?

The RTE programme had positive and negative stories and one of the most featured negative stories was daftness. A chipper is not representative of a town or village to start with but our tastes in food and junk food have widen and there was no mention of other factors (such as: that there is now around four other fast food places which will deliver to the chipper's area and the featured chipper isn't on one of the most popular food delivery sites).

No, the check of them going on slow stroll around the city in protest. Pure attention seeking.

Do you have proof that they were going slow? I'm near sure the council's live traffic reporting or the AA said it caused no delays.
    "Target" model share...as in proactive spending to hopefully achieve this target? dont think so. Investment should be allocated on the current percentage of model share and be adjusted annually if needed.

And how would you justify spending more on private traffic when the policy is to reduce private traffic?
    "If we build it they will come"... or they might not.

Data from Blackrock and along the Grand Canal route is a good indication that even half-decent quality cycle routes attracts more people, and that's backed by international research showing similar results. Some of the best international research shows having high quality networks will given an even stronger boost.

What distance would you catagorised as "long distance"? I dont doubt for a second that if you live within a certain radius of the city centre then cycling or public transport are a sensible mode of transport but what about those who live outside this radius? they may not have public transport as an option. They may not be able to cycle? where is the consideration?

The other poster was suggesting park and ride as a way of considering people who live outside the reach of public transport and you're asking where's the consideration?

No, I'm not aware of 10 towns where bypasses caused towns to die or where a bypass caused the residents to flood to cities to get work. So, the question stands:

Do you know 10 towns where bypasses caused towns to die or where a bypass caused the residents to flood to cities to get work?

The RTE programme had positive and negative stories and one of the most featured negative stories was daftness. A chipper is not representative of a town or village to start with but our tastes in food and junk food have widen and there was no mention of other factors (such as: that there is now around four other fast food places which will deliver to the chipper's area and the featured chipper isn't on one of the most popular food delivery sites).

Ill have to do a bit of research to be sure on this one. I can see that you are holding me to a direct link to a bypass causing people to move to a city for work.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-ballagh-bypass-safer-but-a-drain-on-a-once-thriving-town-1.1877040

The program featured many more businesses than just a chipper.

Do you have proof that they were going slow? I'm near sure the council's live traffic reporting or the AA said it caused no delays.

Well it was reported they the participants "weaved slowly" and judging by the picture accompanying the article they were hardly going fast.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-cycle-protest-3008167-Oct2016/

And how would you justify spending more on private traffic when the policy is to reduce private traffic?

Well i presume the main reasons why private traffic is to be reduced is both congestion and emissions. Perhaps promote electric cars with grants or schemes...build more carparks...add another lane to both sides of the Quays...make Dublin more freeflow???

havent really thought about it before.
    Data from Blackrock and along the Grand Canal route is a good indication that even half-decent quality cycle routes attracts more people, and that's backed by international research showing similar results. Some of the best international research shows having high quality networks will given an even stronger boost.

Well then if there is a heavy investment into infrastructure there should be no objection to compulsory usage for all cyclists?

The other poster was suggesting park and ride as a way of considering people who live outside the reach of public transport and you're asking where's the consideration?

Toucher :)

But you know how bad the public transport in Dublin is...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Well then if there is a heavy investment into infrastructure there should be no objection to compulsory usage for all cyclists?
    Considering how much of my taxes are spent on motorways, I'm still waiting on compulsory usage legislation for them. Oh wait, people are charged to use them, because they are designed to get you somewhere directly, quickly, and safely, and do that so well that people will still use them despite the toll.

I'm looking forward to the same standard of cycling infrastructure.

Yes. In order to improve it, we need better infrastructure, and less roadspace dedicated to private motor traffic. But you're resisting that... see the catch 22?

Ill have to do a bit of research to be sure on this one. I can see that you are holding me to a direct link to a bypass causing people to move to a city for work.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-ballagh-bypass-safer-but-a-drain-on-a-once-thriving-town-1.1877040

Yeah, sure, another main shop it featured was an old-style hardware store which are dying because of the prevailing move towards larger hardware stores, often backed by their chains across regions or countries.

Bypass or no bypass, and motorway or no motorway, just a short drive down the road in Nenagh, there's a Woodie's DIY, a Homevalue Hardware, Chadwicks Builders Providers, a plumbing supply store and a few other large hardware related shops. Moneygall to Nenagh by motorway takes just 18mins but that's only 2mins faster than the regional road there before it.

Small independent shops like corner stores have died off because of overwhelming price and range competition from larger retailers. This effect was amplified in rural areas because of widespread access to cars and happens where there is no bypass or motorway.

But this is amazing -- you are normally pro-infrastructure for cars but you are arguing against one of the major benefits of motorways (freeing towns and villages of major flows of through traffic) just because it suits your arguments against freeing city centres of major flows of through traffic.

Well it was reported they the participants "weaved slowly" and judging by the picture accompanying the article they were hardly going fast.

You think traffic moves fast around Kildare Street and Leeson Street at rush hour? They started in a location which is not a main route and a very large space and they went to a similar location and ended in a third locations which isn't a main route.

Well i presume the main reasons why private traffic is to be reduced is both congestion and emissions. Perhaps promote electric cars with grants or schemes...build more carparks...add another lane to both sides of the Quays...make Dublin more freeflow???

How can anybody take your posts seriously? Add another lane to both sides of the quays? What, by bulldozing the historic bridges and filling in or covering over part of the river or maybe by knocking down historic building and apartment buildings which combined are home to more people than some towns?

Anytime your point goes badly you can't just accept it and move on? Because that has nothing to do with the point you were replying to. The fact is you're arguing against heavy investment while at the same time putting pre-conditions onto heavy investment.

No, not "Toucher" -- I'm replying in a very matter of fact way to posts which do not make sense and overall strains of arguments which do not make sense or end up arguing against your own points.

And no, your off-the-cuff remark is wrong -- public transport is pretty decent when it has an decent level of priority and frequency (ie Luas, Dart, and a number of high-frequency bus routes... that's how park and ride would be served -- with a high-frequency and priority bus/tram/train.

Your posts are idiotic. Does this fall within the "attack the posts not the poster" rule?

For a proper park and ride to work it needs a very frequent (2 - 5 mins) service.
    The last thing anyone wants is to be sitting in the rain and cold waiting for a shuttle bus.

I'm sure autonomy will provide a cheap fleet of small shuttle busses in the next decade.

I'd also be in favour of a congestion charge in Dublin, maybe start between the canals. Give plenty of exemptions if you want for taxis, locals and maybe a cheap online pre-pay system. I'd have no problem with people infrequently driving to Dublin, but the issue is the rush hour commuter traffic which blocks up the city.

• Advertisement

The last thing anyone wants is to be sitting in the rain and cold waiting for a shuttle bus.

Maybe sit in your car??

Advertisement