Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 Mile Road Race, 27 November, 2016.

Options
  • 05-10-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

We're back for the 5th Stook Road Race. Designed for those who are cross country shy, looking for a post DCM target or find pleasure in pain.

Same deal as ever...

- cowbells
    - rave for the brave
    - flying mile
    - community atmosphere and great apple tartlet things...

If you haven't done it before; this might be your year. It's a fundraiser for our juveniles so feel good comes free.

here's last year's thread with comments post race

Race website and online registration here

Happy to answer any questions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great event. Very happy to support.
    I actually got around to registering this year Simon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Something to add to your website:
    Where the fook is stook?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

dna_leri wrote: »
    Something to add to your website:
    Where the fook is stook?

like this? you only had to ask.
    dc6fxh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    like this? you only had to ask.

Made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Can I break my one mile PB here? Also, what's rave for the brave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

Who is this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wouldn't count. Because its point to point and mostly if not totally down hill. Severely so ;)

Its also in Kilkenny, which is even worse :p

Actually, we could all break your 1 mile PB here, and the Rave for the Brave is the most Father Ted on acid thing you could imagine happening (in an AAI road race).

34htl5d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

This is a fantastic race, highly recommend it. As soon as I finished last year I was planning my return to smash my flying mile :D (officially the most fun you can have 7 miles into a tough 10 miler!!) gutted I can't do it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Yes you can! My on-the-flat 1-mile-race PB is 5.54 and my Stook one is 5.45 -- it really is a flying mile:

http://stook10.ie/results/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

PS, I LOVE this race - accidentally booked a holiday the same weekend this year so can't do it, but will be back in 2017!! Everyone should do it; lovely course, great organisation, flying mile, post race spread, cowbells. It's all great!

Asimonov, we met in Dungarvan for or leg of the Raheny-Shamrock Clontarf-Passgae East relate last month. The village looked so quiet without the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Great race, great website and I feature in the video :)
    Missed it last year cause I was in San Seb and this year I'm doing Run the Line the day before - could still be tempted though....

Thanks for nice feedback Paulie and Firedance.

Helen-Anne, you'll be missed! You're right 364 days of the year, Dungarvan is just a sleepy village. A mid-summer Stook run at night might change that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Super race. Have participated twice and if anything, the race got even better the second time. Sadly I'm unlikely to realize my third trip to Stook this year, but I'm pretty sure it'll once again, tick all the boxes for a great race experience.

I think Blockic is a shill though and should be banned from the site. :)

All is in order for sunday, weather wise its looking good, and t-shirts, raffle prizes and cowbells all on site and ready to go! We're closing race registration tonight at 11:59, we have about 70 places left right now. We haven't sold out in the past, and are unlikely to do so this year. So if you have nothing planned for sunday, why not get yourself to Kilkenny, you won't regret it. Well you will for a while - but you'll forget about that bit.

www.stook10.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hi, I signed up online last night around 12:30 when I saw your post, it allowed it to go through so I am registered okay then? Looking forward to it.

diego_b wrote: »
    Hi, I signed up online last night around 12:30 when I saw your post, it allowed it to go through so I am registered okay then? Looking forward to it.

All good, we just left it open until today. see you tomorrow!

Simon

Nice one thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

As someone whose kids have benefited hugely from the coaching provided by Liam and all the other Gowran coaches/mentors I'll spin down tomorrow to run. Great cause, great club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Great race, really enjoyed it even though I considered dropping out at mile six. Thankfully I kept it together or I would have missed the flying mile, which is nuts! I think I'd struggle to run 5:35 on the track, but managed it after being around 8:00 pace on the way up! Slowest of four 10 milers for me this year, but the tough runs stand to you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Great race. Rave for the Brave was brilliant! Support was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Manone wrote: »
    Great race. Rave for the Brave was brilliant! Support was fantastic.

What was Rave for the Brave? I must of completely missed it.

vinny1313 wrote: »
    What was Rave for the Brave? I must of completely missed it.

That was the music and cheering near the top of the hill!

Great event - up to the usual high standards. Struggled a bit myself due to tiredness I reckon, in the first half in particular. Considered dropping out - the psychology of passing the finish line after the initial 5k loop :) - but battled the mental demons, and chewed the kilometers off 1 by 1 and finished strong.

One more cowbell next year and I can put one on each of the kids necks to keep them in check :D

Thanks all for running stook, really glad to hear you enjoyed it. Our biggest numbers ever between the two distances, and we were definitely impacted by the half in waterford being next weekend. There are some photos up on our facebook page here

Excellent event and really enjoyed it, I managed to run the flying mile 40 seconds faster than my previous best time for a mile. Unfortunately my achilles was not happy about it in the last mile and ended up running easy pace home in a slight hobble.
    Hopefully only another few days and back on the road. Very useful having the massage people there on hand at the end as was able to get it checked.

A trio of cowbells. Bring on next year.

30518022084_9e78318473_z.jpg

Advertisement