Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stuck for news is 'De Leader'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Ugh .. septic tank ... flushed :-D

“Limerick farmer's septic tank case yet to be flushed from court system“

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/291425/limerick-farmer-s-septic-tank-case-yet-to-be-flushed-from-court-system.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Was anyone listening to Aine Fitzgerald, deputy editor of the Leader, on Live 95fm talking about the time she ripped off part of Dolore O'Riordan's wedding dress?

I was fairly aghast at how gleefully she spoke of an experience where she totally violated and intruded on a persons special day. Fair enough she was a child at the time, though even as a child I couldn't imagine holding on to someones wedding dress so hard as to rip off the fabric. You would think in her recollection of the event she would be somewhat apologetic or feel embarrassed for doing something so intrusive, but she was laughing at the whole experience.

I just thought it was very inappropriate when listening to it and reflected very poorly on the depth and sensitivities of The Leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

What do you expect? They barely qualify as journalists and have a big fish small pond mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Limerick Leader showed absolutely no sensitivity to Dolores O'Riordan when she had a breakdown on the flight from the US a few years back. It was actually Aine Fitzgerald who pursued that story relentlessly and who did an 'exclusive' interview with O'Riordan's mother. And now the Leader journalists are falling over themselves to proclaim how adored she was and how sad they are at her tragic demise. They were taking advantage of her back then, when she was at her lowest ebb, and now that she's dead they're still taking advantage of her. **** those pricks.

zulutango wrote:
    The Limerick Leader showed absolutely no sensitivity to Dolores O'Riordan when she had a breakdown on the flight from the US a few years back. It was actually Aine Fitzgerald who pursued that story relentlessly and who did an 'exclusive' interview with O'Riordan's mother. And now the Leader journalists are falling over themselves to proclaim how adored she was and how sad they are at her tragic demise. They were taking advantage of her back then, when she was at her lowest ebb, and now that she's dead they're still taking advantage of her. **** those pricks.

It always surprises me how two-faced people can be in Limerick but not that shocking coming from the Leader unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

zulutango wrote: »

In fairness that air rage attack was a serious crime. Her attitude while flying wasnt the best despite all the warm fuzzy feelings being mentioned from those who had met her.

The headline for the most popular new story currently on The Limerick Leader site is straight out of Waterford Whispers :pac:

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/292023/loud-limerick-crowd-to-accompany-woman-on-winning-streak-appearance.html

Mc Love wrote: »
    In fairness that air rage attack was a serious crime. Her attitude while flying wasnt the best despite all the warm fuzzy feelings being mentioned from those who had met her.

From what I've read it was a psychotic episode of which she had no memory.

She had a well publicised battle with mental illness and while that incident was serious it was hardly reflective of her true personality or character.

Give her a break, she isn't even in the ground yet.

From what I've read it was a psychotic episode of which she had no memory.

She had a well publicised battle with mental illness and while that incident was serious it was hardly reflective of her true personality or character.

Give her a break, she isn't even in the ground yet.

Well said.

It did make me ponder, and I know most of the men (and maybe some of the women) on here will disagree with me for saying this but........ were people in Limerick, namely the LL, a lot less accepting of her behaviour because she was a women? By all accounts Richard Harris had similar bouts of unpredictable actions yet he was deemed a loveable rogue and was never, from what I could see, put under the same scrutiny as Dolores even though his behaviour was a lot more questionable than hers ever was?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kyanite

One thing's for sure: if I ever wanted to achieve instant sainthood, all I have to do is die inside the borders of ireland.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Well said.

It did make me ponder, and I know most of the men (and maybe some of the women) on here will disagree with me for saying this but........ were people in Limerick, namely the LL, a lot less accepting of her behaviour because she was a women? By all accounts Richard Harris had similar bouts of unpredictable actions yet he was deemed a loveable rogue and was never, from what I could see, put under the same scrutiny as Dolores even though his behaviour was a lot more questionable than hers ever was?

Nothing to do with it and everything to do with the changing times.

Harris was seen as a hellraiser in the 60's/70's/80's

You could get away with that then if you were a big star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

"Maria Neville-Foster, daughter of former Fine Gael TD "

Possibly in the heads of the LL, this is newsworthy.

Unless I read it incorrectly, the person in question is female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Still an nonsense story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still an nonsense story.

To be fair to De Leader, which I have never seen, if you simplify a story like this to 'man gets job' then you could do that to most stories in most papers.

"Team wins football match"
    "Man wins lotto"
    "Pub gets award"

Still an nonsense story.

Yeah it's hardly newsworthy but at least its a story about a woman. Heaven forbid if it was another story about a man.

Oh ya so it is! My mistake :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

TBF to the Leader, it's a local paper for local people. And lots of local people like to hear stories like that, even if they are pretty inconsequential.

I have a friend who went fishing and caught a big fish, and posted a picture on his facebook page. A friend of his wife was the wife of a Leader journalist, and she saw the photo on his page, and she then kind of badgered her husband into writing a 'story' about it, and there it was in the newspaper.

That's what local papers do. I don't really expect much different from the Leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A shambles, both. Limerick Life is actually quite decent. Although I think that's only out every week or so?

Is anyone still getting this in the door? Haven't got one here since before Xmas.

• Advertisement

Is anyone still getting this in the door? Haven't got one here since before Xmas.

I haven’t gotten it in the door since then either. Although I did see a fella (not the f*cksakeoclock in the morning Limerick Post fella) putting newspapers in up the road today, so the No Junk Mail sign may be working for Limericks Life at least :-)

I haven’t gotten it in the door since then either. Although I did see a fella (not the f*cksakeoclock in the morning Limerick Post fella) putting newspapers in up the road today, so the No Junk Mail sign may be working for Limericks Life at least :-)

I got the Chronicle today and that usually comes on Wednesday. Maybe Limerick Life isn't coming out any more so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Now for you, it's 'real' news ...

Now for you, it's 'real' news ...

It's because you're using an adblocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

It's because you're using an adblocker

I wasn't talking about the payment/adblocker, I was talking about the wording of it

Pretty sure Limerick Life newspaper is no more. I tweeted them and have had no response, and haven't see it published in January. Sad to see :(

Pretty sure Limerick Life newspaper is no more. I tweeted them and have had no response, and haven't see it published in January. Sad to see :(

That's a pity. It was definitely one of the better papers.

Looks like they are ‘rebranding’ the Wednesday edition from the end of Feb to call it ... “The Leader”. WTF? :-D

https://www.facebook.com/LimerickLeader/posts/1765546486798838

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looks like they are ‘rebranding’ the Wednesday edition from the end of Feb to call it ... “The Leader”. WTF? :-D

https://www.facebook.com/LimerickLeader/posts/1765546486798838

It a free paper apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Why don't they just put it out of its misery ...

Advertisement