Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How stuck for news is 'De Leader'?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I think that's a tad unfair. It's setting a dangerous precedent by not reporting on an alleged racist incident, and stinks of sticking one's head in the sand.

If they didn't write about it there could be a few complaining on the lack of reporting on the alleged incident!

Nowhere is it it said or implied that it is a problem at UL and I don't think many (if any) people will jump to that conclusion.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you...

But this is Limerick where we need to be extremely careful about what we cover...

I remember a few years ago, when there were a handful of prostitutes plying their trade openly on Catherine St, it was covered by local press...

Pat Kenny's show had a 20 minute piece about whether prostitution should be legalised in Limerick (not the rest of the country) as if it was clearly is full of prostitutes and willing customers....

This is just one of many many many examples....unfortunately, "national" media love these kinds of stories from Limerick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Ordinarily I'd agree with you...

But this is Limerick where we need to be extremely careful about what we cover...

I remember a few years ago, when there were a handful of prostitutes plying their trade openly on Catherine St, it was covered by local press...

Pat Kenny's show had a 20 minute piece about whether prostitution should be legalised in Limerick (not the rest of the country) as if it was clearly is full of prostitutes and willing customers....

This is just one of many many many examples....unfortunately, "national" media love these kinds of stories from Limerick...

I completely disagree that Limerick newspapers should be “careful” on what they report on just because of what the national media will think or say of us. Where does that stop, how do they even decide on what would give us a bad name?

Going back to the story in question, the public have a right to know that this type of thing can happen and reporting on it was the right thing to do. Regardless of what other media outlets say.

I completely disagree that Limerick newspapers should be “careful” on what they report on just because of what the national media will think or say of us. Where does that stop, how do they even decide on what would give us a bad name?

Going back to the story in question, the public have a right to know that this type of thing can happen and reporting on it was the right thing to do. Regardless of what other media outlets say.

Where does it stop? You are aware of the citys long running image problem...you tell me when does it stop...

The story in question is of some muppet, probably drunk...saying something rude/stupid/offensive at another.....which was reported to the students union...
    hardly pulitzer stuff....

When I think about it...I was rejected once by a woman who didn't find me attractive/charming and was quiet descriptive in her reasoning...I should have gone to the press!!!

Where does it stop? You are aware of the citys long running image problem...you tell me when does it stop...

The story in question is of some muppet, probably drunk...saying something rude/stupid/offensive at another.....which was reported to the students union...
    hardly pulitzer stuff....

When I think about it...I was rejected once by a woman who didn't find me attractive/charming and was quiet descriptive in her reasoning...I should have gone to the press!!!

Firstly, no one is saying it’s deserving of a Pulitzer.

Secondly, not reporting on certain incidents just because of what the rest of the country thinks is ridiculous, and not to mention borderline censorship.

Thirdly, I asked you where it would it stop and you weirdly asked me the same question which makes no sense, are you trying to avoid the question? How would, the Leader for example, decide what would look bad for the area, or should they just write about feel good stories and sport? It’s a simple question.

Lastly, I find it pretty appalling that you would equate an incident of racism to you getting turned down by a woman.

Firstly, no one is saying it’s deserving of a Pulitzer.

Secondly, not reporting on certain incidents just because of what the rest of the country thinks is ridiculous, and not to mention borderline censorship.

Thirdly, I asked you where it would it stop and you weirdly asked me the same question which makes no sense, are you trying to avoid the question? How would, the Leader for example, decide what would look bad for the area, or should they just write about feel good stories and sport? It’s a simple question.

Lastly, I find it pretty appalling that you would equate an incident of racism to you getting turned down by a woman.

You should be on twitter...you'd love it...

I was alluding to the fact that this is a complete non story....it was rightfully reported to the students union....it should have not seen the light of day in the local press...I mean it is name calling (that has been suggested....not corroborated) in a drunken environment.....

"National Media" scour local news websites/papers in search of airtime fillers etc...I remember some syringes were pictured in an alleyway in town somewhere...Matt Cooper gave it a segment on his show....

It is not censorship....for gods sake...an editor chooses what stories to publish....in this city....it is prudent to show caution on what stories are published....an unfortunate necessity...the editor of any limerick paper should exert the same caution...if you have a problem with that take it up with our"national" media...we have an image problem...we can't ignore it...

An unproven/uncorroborated "incident of racism" (which purely involved drunken name calling) is about as newsworthy as any drunken argument...

I'd say you are easily appalled....

• Advertisement

You should be on twitter...you'd love it...

I was alluding to the fact that this is a complete non story....it was rightfully reported to the students union....it should have not seen the light of day in the local press...I mean it is name calling (that has been suggested....not corroborated) in a drunken environment.....

"National Media" scour local news websites/papers in search of airtime fillers etc...I remember some syringes were pictured in an alleyway in town somewhere...Matt Cooper gave it a segment on his show....

It is not censorship....for gods sake...an editor chooses what stories to publish....in this city....it is prudent to show caution on what stories are published....an unfortunate necessity...the editor of any limerick paper should exert the same caution...if you have a problem with that take it up with our"national" media...we have an image problem...we can't ignore it...

An unproven/uncorroborated "incident of racism" (which purely involved drunken name calling) is about as newsworthy as any drunken argument...

I'd say you are easily appalled....

I am on Twitter, cheers

Nope, alleged incident of racism in this day and age is not a non-story. You also don’t know if anybody was drunk or if it was a drunken environment. It might have been (it also might not) but you don’t get to decide.

Let them ‘scour’ away, they’ll find something no matter what, I don’t want news NOT to be reported just because you feel the National media will use it against the city.

I said ‘borderline censorship’. Look up the definition you’ll see what you’re suggesting is pretty close.

You seem to be very upset and slightly obsessive about this “image problem”. Not reporting on such events in the city will fix nothing, and also, let me repeat utterly RIDICULOUS.

Again, disappointing that you signed off on your post for the second time making light of racism comparing it to a drunken row this time, and yeah, it’s a little bit appalling.

I am on Twitter, cheers

Nope, alleged incident of racism in this day and age is not a non-story. You also don’t know if anybody was drunk or if it was a drunken environment. It might have been (it also might not) but you don’t get to decide.

Let them ‘scour’ away, they’ll find something no matter what, I don’t want news NOT to be reported just because you feel the National media will use it against the city.

I said ‘borderline censorship’. Look up the definition you’ll see what you’re suggesting is pretty close.

You seem to be very upset and slightly obsessive about this “image problem”. Not reporting on such events in the city will fix nothing, and also, let me repeat utterly RIDICULOUS.

Again, disappointing that you signed off on your post for the second time making light of racism comparing it to a drunken row this time, and yeah, it’s a little bit appalling.

This is an alleged incident....there are journalistic standards that normally apply to these kind of incidents (unlike social media) ...no victim named...no proof...no reports to any authority other than the students union....this is a non story....by any media standards...

Of course this is Ireland, where in my opinion, no media standards exist...a point most people are not aware of....and unfortunately this city needs to more cognisant of this than any other city...

Ya I am quiet opinionated when it comes to this citys image problem...I make no apology for that...I understand I am in the minority....

This story belongs on twitter...where no standards exist and where anything goes...

This is an alleged incident....there are journalistic standards that normally apply to these kind of incidents (unlike social media) ...no victim named...no proof...no reports to any authority other than the students union....this is a non story....by any media standards...

Of course this is Ireland, where in my opinion, no media standards exist...a point most people are not aware of....and unfortunately this city needs to more cognisant of this than any other city...

Ya I am quiet opinionated when it comes to this citys image problem...I make no apology for that...I understand I am in the minority....

This story belongs on twitter...where no standards exist and where anything goes...

The media, regardless of location or medium, in this country reports on alleged crimes all the time. It’s not unique for just the Leader to do this. It’s the nature of the beast. Wilde put it best when he said that we used to have to rack, now we have the press, a slight improvement. This is something we may agree upon.

I think the Limerick image issue is exaggerated, Does it exist? I think to some degree, but sometimes I feel we can get a bit too defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

On a day of serious political happenings, the Leader steps up as usual with some hard-hitting analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Vanquished wrote: »

Top notch fact checking believing that nun was a visitor to the city. She taught in a primary school here for decades!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/286083/a-mighty-chance-limerick-hurling-legend-weighs-up-general-election-run.html

Can anyone tell me why an individual with no history of political activism, policy engagement or community engagement beyond pucking a ball with a sliotar has 'a mighty chance' of being elected as a political representative?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

panda100 wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/286083/a-mighty-chance-limerick-hurling-legend-weighs-up-general-election-run.html

Can anyone tell me why an individual with no history of political activism, policy engagement or community engagement beyond pucking a ball with a sliotar has 'a mighty chance' of being elected as a political representative?

A known face as the parties would so.His brother in law the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's Irish politics. People getting elected because they're famous, or related to someone who used to be TD is unfortunately pretty normal and an indictment on the electorate in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

When is a good time to have that history? Better late than never? You don't know what he is doing in his private life either. If he gets voted in, well, it's up to him to do a good job then isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's Irish politics. People getting elected because they're famous, or related to someone who used to be TD is unfortunately pretty normal and an indictment on the electorate in this country.

Same as everywhere else. Make sure you're sitting down if you happen to check who the US president is.

Also worth noting that the Irish electorate are being indicted in this case about Ciaran Carey who has never been elected by them to anything. Several relatively high profile GAA players have tried this in various places in the last number of years with fairly limited success anyway.

and an indictment on the electorate in this country.

But also our local media who promote and advertise a candidate whom, as far as I can see, has done nothing of political note to warrant front page coverage of a possible election run.

Breaking News: Leader trying to pass off ads as articles now.

“There's an easier way to play the Lotto: Get your tickets online and save hassle”

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/288437/there-s-an-easier-way-to-play-the-lotto-get-your-tickets-online-and-save-hassle.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

They must have someone stationed in Henry Street. Every single day on their Facebook is every little crime. They reported a stolen phone on the street recently like it was the heist of the century.

Journalism it is not. Doing more to harm Limericks image than the national media imo.

I've noticed that the journal.ie have picked up a few of the Leader's petty crime stories too and are only too happy to run with them

It's interesting that far more serious incidents that occurred recently in Cork, as reported by the Examiner and Evening Echo did not feature on the journal.ie

• Advertisement

I've noticed that the journal.ie have picked up a few of the Leader's petty crime stories too and are only too happy to run with them

It's interesting that far more serious incidents that occurred recently in Cork, as reported by the Examiner and Evening Echo did not feature on the journal.ie

It's as ToeToe says the news The Leader chooses to report really does a disservice to Limerick. The national media are more than happy to run these stories but are being facilitated by the Leader reporting this nonsense in the first place. Piece about it here : https://limerickunderground.org/2017/12/21/stop-the-press/

I can’t think of the guys name but there’s a freelancer that sells articles to a few places. Could be The Leader and Journal buying the same story rather than the Journal getting it off The Leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's as ToeToe says the news The Leader chooses to report really does a disservice to Limerick. The national media are more than happy to run these stories but are being facilitated by the Leader reporting this nonsense in the first place. Piece about it here : https://limerickunderground.org/2017/12/21/stop-the-press/

In your link is contained two powerful pieces of writing, many thanks. I really enjoyed them.

De Leader starting the year as it means to go on!

https://twitter.com/AlanEnglish9/status/948838113216008192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Christ on a bicycle.

Just when you think they can't outdo themselves.

What happens if you eat nothing but Taytos for a solid week? Turn to page 10 where we investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's the headline story. For **** sake.

Just flicking through Today's Leader and on seeing this page I presumed it was a paid for advertisement by the Redemptorist or some religious feature ,but alas no, it is actually 'News'.

20180104_202032_zpsknmvvvtc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

It's not a real newspaper and neither is the post.

They are an embarrassment to the city. Both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

It's not a real newspaper and neither is the post.

They are an embarrassment to the city. Both of them.

A shambles, both. Limerick Life is actually quite decent. Although I think that's only out every week or so?

• Advertisement

A shambles, both. Limerick Life is actually quite decent. Although I think that's only out every week or so?

I think its out fortnightly. Yes, its actually quite decent. They have good analysis and commentators. Best media publication in Limerick by a country mile.

Advertisement