Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year finding HL Maths hard. Help?

Options
  • 05-10-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey, I'm in 5th year and my subjects are:

Biology (H)
    Chemistry (H)
    Physics (H)
    Geography (H)
    Irish (O)
    English (H)
    Maths (H)

I got stuck with a bad maths teacher, which doesn't help especially this year. He doesn't explain the things thoroughly at all even though (I) and other students ask questions during class or ask about homework we had the last night.

I've always had trouble with maths since I had my confidence in the subject knocked when I was younger in primary school. I don't know how to counter act this horrible memory either. At least I know why I'm having trouble with maths.

Any other subject, for a test, I feel confident and have no bother at all but in a maths test, I feel very insecure and really unconfident, it's like I forget everything and don't know where to start.

I failed the Maths HL mocks, E grade, but got a C in the real thing. *Which isn't that great either, and I'd imagine it was a lowish C if I'm being honest.

I currently receive grinds for maths aswell but I'm now finding those getting harder also. (It's a class, not one on one)

How can I improve my maths skills for the LC? I really, really don't want to drop to pass because I can't afford to do that because of college entries and points. There's certain things I think I get but then once I go and try to do it myself, I'm lost.

Is there anyone who has been or is in my current situation?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think you would benefit from one to one. Cost might be an issue.
    A third level student giving grinds might be a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Less stress more success got me through mine as has tons of examples.
    The best advice I can give it to keep doing exam paper questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

What topics have you covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Since it's a confidence issue I think you should really find a one on one person for grinds. Even just a few sessions might help you get started if there is a cost issue. They might be able to pick up on where you're getting lost when you approach it yourself etc and build up confidence and practice.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Haemoglobin

What topics have you covered?
    Completed: Alegbra I
    now currently on algebra II.

We use the active maths 4 book (book 1 of 2)

We get a test on each chapter after we've completed it.
    I got 68% on my algebra I test, but now near the end of algebra II, I'm finding it gets more and more difficult. Especially the manipulation of formula which we're on right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Have you anyone that can explain things to you when you get stuck - parent, older sibling, friend maybe? If you can keep on top of it and understand each topic as you go along you will be fine. Can you ask the grinds teacher the questions you are not getting answers to in school?

My daughter struggled with maths in primary but as she went through junior cert I helped her understand each topic and she did every question in the exam papers until she knew how to do them and she ended up with a B in higher level. She is now in 6th year and is flying with the maths. I still help her now and again but she probably knows more than me now and can work out most things herself.

The great thing about maths is if you understand each section it gets easy and you can get it right every time but if you don't get that understanding it is a struggle all the way.

I ask my friends sometimes but they're also busy with other studies too, and I don't want to bother them too much about it. Thanks for the suggestions.
    The problem is, the grinds class is not in sync with my maths class in school. But both teachers go very fast.

I was thinking of buying exam papers and practicing them. I really don't want to drop to pass at this time as I can't afford it! Although I feel really stupid in maths class, everyone is reluctant to answer questions our teacher openly asks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

I ask my friends sometimes but they're also busy with other studies too, and I don't want to bother them too much about it. Thanks for the suggestions.
    The problem is, the grinds class is not in sync with my maths class in school. But both teachers go very fast.

I was thinking of buying exam papers and practicing them. I really don't want to drop to pass at this time as I can't afford it! Although I feel really stupid in maths class, everyone is reluctant to answer questions our teacher openly asks!
    If you are doing different topics in grinds than in class then the grinds are probably confusing you. You will get through the course in class so anything outside should build on what you are doing in class at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rooknight3420

I'm a current 6th year, and I'm struggling with HL maths too, but I think I can get at least a H4 if I work hard.
    (To be honest, the only reason why I'm not in OL is because I need HL for my preferred university course)
    I'm at the Institute of Education and my teacher has put me onto the maths grinds over midterm, which I hope will help with my understanding. I've struggled since the JC (E in mocks, B in exam, surprisingly) but I think if you buy the past papers and go through them, you'll be able to recognise similar questions.

I'm a current 6th year, and I'm struggling with HL maths too, but I think I can get at least a H4 if I work hard.
    (To be honest, the only reason why I'm not in OL is because I need HL for my preferred university course)
    I'm at the Institute of Education and my teacher has put me onto the maths grinds over midterm, which I hope will help with my understanding. I've struggled since the JC (E in mocks, B in exam, surprisingly) but I think if you buy the past papers and go through them, you'll be able to recognise similar questions.

Thanks for the advice :) And to be fair, the points for OL maths are ridiculous.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Hi, if you need help with anything feel free to pm me. I did the LC last year and I know it can be tough when you're struggling with something on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya Op students are keen enough to help out with maths questions here (or on the math forum) they won't give you straight answers though, just loadsa hints.

Advertisement