Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 school conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

They made a video of the problems:

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That video could easily have been made about the national school I attended in the 70s! 4 classes per year, 40-45 kids per class, a third of the pupils in crappy prefabs, tiny yard area, place falling apart.The only difference is that for us, yard time had the added challenge of playing football, chasing etc. in a maul of kids - no-one seemed to have considered staggered breaks at that time! At least they were sensible enough to have few restrictions on playing, insurance wasn't something thought about too much (or kids weren't the delicate snowflakes their parents believe them to be these days).

Back then though, I think we probably didn't have the money in the country to house the kids from the boom of the 60s in good school facilites.
    Now though, it seems that no-one wants to upgrade or carry out repairs on existing schools. Presumably that's because there's no glory or no chance for headlines in it - opening new schools seems to be the aim of the bureaucrats these days, probably looks better on their CV! Or maybe I'm just too cynical - probably a result of overcrowding in my school days!
    Either way, this sort of neglect of education is a disgrace on a national scale, and embarrassing for the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jaysus, there are holes in the walls!

That kid is brilliant though, what a little legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That's disgraceful. My sons school got their permanent building this year. The old one was tiny but that's all, physically it was fine. I can't believe they are still waiting in Mochtas and expected to learn and work in a building falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's disgraceful. My sons school got their permanent building this year. The old one was tiny but that's all, physically it was fine. I can't believe they are still waiting in Mochtas and expected to learn and work in a building falling apart.

Isn't that school supposed to move to the new school down the road? Can't remember the name but it's beside the new secondary also!

Edit: Luttrellstown!

There's a fair few new schools being built around D15. Granted, mostly secondary.
    But I can see why the dept wouldn't pay to restore an old site when they would probably build a new one for cheaper and potentially amalgamate two primary schools, and enjoy the reduced running costs.

Still doesn't excuse the current conditions though. I think we need to know the whole story of what the dept. are planning for D15... Could be negotiations going on with religious orders to hand over land (they take decades!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    .. I think we need to know the whole story of what the dept. are planning for D15...

There was a population explosion here in D15, as you know, they were promised a new building if they ran 4 First Year classes going forward.
    That was 10 years ago - Last year they got the go ahead and they were preparing to shut down areas of the old school for demolition when they got word a few weeks ago that the decision was reversed and no rebuild was to happen. Questions were asked why in the Dail it was reversed but I dont think there was an answer given.

Plan is to keep the 1960's building (the Front building) but replace the 1980's building and prefabs - why can they not build buildings like they used to?

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ozmo wrote: »
    There was a population explosion here in D15, as you know, they were promised a new building if they ran 4 First Year classes going forward.
    That was 10 years ago - Last year they got the go ahead and they were preparing to shut down areas of the old school for demolition when they got word a few weeks ago that the decision was reversed and no rebuild was to happen. Questions were asked why in the Dail it was reversed but I dont think there was an answer given.

Plan is to keep the 1960's building (the Front building) but replace the 1980's building and prefabs - why can they not build buildings like they used to?

Is there not 'new' plans for building yet another secondary in D15... You'd save a bit of money by building a primary and secondary in one go rather than refurbish an old primary, no?

I can see why the dept. would be slow to act if they are planning for the next few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Isn't that school supposed to move to the new school down the road? Can't remember the name but it's beside the new secondary also!

Edit: Luttrellstown!
    I think that you are talking about the nearby Scoil Choilm Community National School. It was recently expanded to make it bigger (it got the sports hall during that build). There would not be any space for the children in St Mochta's to move into Scoil Choilm.

Aside: The secondary school on the same site, LCC, is due to be expanded shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Advertisement