Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dominant strong side....

• 05-10-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have one side of your body stronger than the other?
    I'm right handed but my left side upper body strength is probably 5-10% stronger.
    I can press 5kg more with my left side when doing single arm presses on machine and 4kg with dumbell.
    I'm a able to preacher curl with dumbbell 1kg heavier. Just to point out I don't train doing heavier weights on left side because I can either.
    All other exercises are even.
    I can notice the difference too in muscle size in chest and bicep.
    Does anyone else have our had the same problem?
    If so how did you sort it?
    Last year I had a problem with my right rotator cuff but I got it sorted so don't think that's it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You might have been underworking your right side due to the rotator cuff? So even if it's sorted now it's still catching up.

Anyway, isn't the solution obvious? Work your right side more until it catches up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Zillah wrote:
    Anyway, isn't the solution obvious? Work your right side more until it catches up.

So extra reps on right side and don't go up on the left until it balances out...
    Iv only really noticed this in last few months since going on a bulk.
    Was just wondering if others had this or am I just a bit of a freak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Years since I have been in the gym but my left quad was at one point over an inch smaller than the right but somewhat stronger on unilateral movements. Would have to dig out logs for specific figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Years since I have been in the gym but my left quad was at one point over an inch smaller than the right but somewhat stronger on unilateral movements. Would have to dig out logs for specific figures.

See my left bicep is about an inch larger than my right.
    It's this a huge amount of is it "normal enough"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I did single arm presses yesterday. I barely scrapped the 5th with my right arm (my dominant arm) but managed an easy 6 reps with my left.

Going forward, work your strong arm first and match those reps with the weak side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You used to carry ur schoolbag on one side all through school/puberty and that has caused an imbalance in core strength, basically you were doing the equivalent of a one sided farmers walk for years and now your all imbalanced, but ur still beautiful to me

Advertisement