Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500 clamps illegally removed by motorists in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You're a bit of a numpty if you remove a corporation or corporation sponsored operators clamp. I note the article doesn't seem to break it down, I'm presuming those are all Dublin Co. Co. numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What law did any of those people break, to have a clamp attached to their wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What law did any of those people break, to have a clamp attached to their wheel?

Parking laws
    The Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 - 2013 provide for the general regulation and control of traffic, pedestrians and parking. The Road Traffic Act, 1994 gives local authorities the power to make bye-laws governing the type of paid parking controls in their areas - e.g. disc parking, pay and display parking, etc. Under the Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations, 1997 - 2013 local authorities are responsible for authorising regulatory traffic signs and designating areas where parking is restricted or prohibited. Clamping of vehicles is authorised by the Road Traffic (Immobilisation Of Vehicles) Regulations, 1998 and in extreme cases, the Road Traffic (Removal, Storage and Disposal of Vehicles) Regulations 1983 - 1998 gives power to local authorities to tow away vehicles that have been illegally parked and are causing serious congestion. Section 11 of the Road Traffic Act 2002 provided for the current system of fixed-charge traffic and parking offences, replacing the previous system of 'on the spot' fine offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Illegal parking or causing an obstruction, though they lift the vehicle if it's causing an obstruction and clamp it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What's this system, is it even legal? What if someone buys a car/van and they it gets towed away for the previous owner removing a clamp.

Suppose a complaint to the data commission might be in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

TallGlass wrote: »
    What's this system, is it even legal? What if someone buys a car/van and they it gets towed away for the previous owner removing a clamp.

Suppose a complaint to the data commission might be in order.

only get towed if u are parked illegally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

robtri wrote: »
    only get towed if u are parked illegally...
    You get impounded if you buy a car and it previously had its clamp removed
    If it's a clamping zone how is this fair or legal
    Also what do they consider illegally removing the clamp
    If I cut it off with a battery grinder I understand that that could be illegal but if I pop the ball joint does that count ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

what is interesting is that they obviously aren't pursuing these 500 people and I can only wonder why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

what is interesting is that they obviously aren't pursuing these 500 people and I can only wonder why.

I'd imagine that clamping contravened their culture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So basically from the story if your not caught cutting it off your grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Heard on the news on today fm someone in Dublin was fined €1,250 in court for removing a clamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

guil wrote: »
    Heard on the news on today fm someone in Dublin was fined €1,250 in court for removing a clamp.

linked article says the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

So basically from the story if your not caught cutting it off your grand.

Yes, so long as you don't park illegally ever again using that same car :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tigger wrote: »
    You get impounded if you buy a car and it previously had its clamp removed
    If it's a clamping zone how is this fair or legal
    Also what do they consider illegally removing the clamp
    If I cut it off with a battery grinder I understand that that could be illegal but if I pop the ball joint does that count ?

If you can prove, by showing the date of purchase on the VLC, that you weren't the owner when the clamp was removed then they'll release the car for free, similar to proving that you have insurance if lifted by the Guards. It's obviously not ideal but it doesn't affect that many people as I've never heard of it.

Anyone other than an authorised agent of DCC removing the clamp is considered illegality removing it.

Advertisement