Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ormonde Hospital on Barrack Street

Options
  • 05-10-2016 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I moved to Kilkenny a few years ago and my kids just started going to St.John's Junior School on Michael Street. I park the car on Barrack Street and walk down when dropping them off and collecting. Each day I pass an old building which says "Ormonde Hospital" above the door.

Just wondering what the history of this building is. Was it always a hospital? What kind of hospital was it and when did it close down? Seems to be used as offices these days.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

catbear wrote: »

Thanks for sharing. I came across this before posting, but it only really tells me about the building from an architectural perspective. I'm more interested in the history behind the building.

For example

What kind of hospital was it?
    Was it the only hospital in Kilkenny when it was built?
    Why did it close?
    Any interesting anecdotes or stories people know revolving around the building

Sorry, can't help. Years ago I think social workers were based there although I dont know if thats still the case.

However I did read in the census for 1901 and 1910 that were addresses around johns green that held many single occupants. try digging there.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

It's the old auxiliary hospital. In more recent years its been used by st canice's ( mental health services) for a day centre and training centre I'm not sure what it's used for now...
    Scratch that wrong building

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd say over 100 years ago it was a fever/TB hospital. Think some local groups use it now. Always found that building a little creepy myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

road_high wrote: »
    I'd say over 100 years ago it was a fever/TB hospital. Think some local groups use it now. Always found that building a little creepy myself.

It's the Kilkenny county infirmary. Cool building. Fever hospital was down at Wolfe Tone Street near where the CAS comes out at the bend....I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

According to the old OSI maps, the hospital opposite the old swimming pool was the Fever hospital the one on Johns Green was an Infirmary and the one on Barrack Street was an Almhouse, charity run for the destitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

It's the Kilkenny county infirmary. Cool building. Fever hospital was down at Wolfe Tone Street near where the CAS comes out at the bend....I think[/QUOTE
    You are right about the fever hospital but the images you posted are of a different building to the one the OP was enquiring about

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

The Hospital of Our Most Holy Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was established by Walter Butler, 11th Earl of Ormonde. The 10th Earl (Black Tom) had willed that a hospital be built on waste ground near the old Tholsel of Kilkenny. In 1829 the 2nd Marquis of Ormonde moved the Alms House to its present site. The Ormonde House 5 High Street was erected on the site. It is now part of the AIB Bank. Until the mid 20th Century the Master of the Alms House was the Ormonde agent and the Butler family continued an interest in the home. There was accommodation for seven inmates.

green jay wrote: »
    The Hospital of Our Most Holy Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was established by Walter Butler, 11th Earl of Ormonde. The 10th Earl (Black Tom) had willed that a hospital be built on waste ground near the old Tholsel of Kilkenny. In 1829 the 2nd Marquis of Ormonde moved the Alms House to its present site. The Ormonde House 5 High Street was erected on the site. It is now part of the AIB Bank. Until the mid 20th Century the Master of the Alms House was the Ormonde agent and the Butler family continued an interest in the home. There was accommodation for seven inmates.
    Good find Jay, what was the source?

• Advertisement
Advertisement