Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative careers from accountancy

• 05-10-2016 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, first post here. Don't know where to turn to, kind of at rock bottom, might as well try here as nobody in the 'real world' has any suggestions.

Essentially I'm looking for any ideas from or experiences of people who have used an accountancy qualification to get into another area of work. I'm ACA (FCA now), in my mid 40s and have been out of work for over 3 years (trained in practice, worked mostly in industry after that). It's not that I hate accounting or anything, it's grand, but there just seems to be nothing for anyone with my experience in my location and even if there is something I have experience for I will not be considered because of length of time out of work and to lesser extent because of age. Sent so many direct applications to companies that they either ignore me now or send a a PFO in record time (got one within an hour last week) and agencies are cockroaches who will dump you quickly if you don't earn them commission quickly (always "in a meeting" or "on another call" now). I'm Munster based so the only options with any work are Cork and, to a lesser extent, Limerick and Waterford. I lived in Dublin for a number of years and and am reluctant, to say the least, to ever go back there and cannot anyway because of personal commitments. No 'helpful' suggestions about migrating to Dublin or going abroad, please.

So basically, I'm wondering what other people have done with accountancy qualifications. My accountancy qualification, to all intents and purposes, is now redundant and useless to me to work as an actual accountant in any area of accountancy. Does anyone know of people who used an accountancy qualification to move into another area or develop an alternative career?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

DFG21 wrote: »
    Hi all, first post here. Don't know where to turn to, kind of at rock bottom, might as well try here as nobody in the 'real world' has any suggestions.

Essentially I'm looking for any ideas from or experiences of people who have used an accountancy qualification to get into another area of work. I'm ACA (FCA now), in my mid 40s and have been out of work for over 3 years (trained in practice, worked mostly in industry after that). It's not that I hate accounting or anything, it's grand, but there just seems to be nothing for anyone with my experience in my location and even if there is something I have experience for I will not be considered because of length of time out of work and to lesser extent because of age. Sent so many direct applications to companies that they either ignore me now or send a a PFO in record time (got one within an hour last week) and agencies are cockroaches who will dump you quickly if you don't earn them commission quickly (always "in a meeting" or "on another call" now). I'm Munster based so the only options with any work are Cork and, to a lesser extent, Limerick and Waterford. I lived in Dublin for a number of years and and am reluctant, to say the least, to ever go back there and cannot anyway because of personal commitments. No 'helpful' suggestions about migrating to Dublin or going abroad, please.

So basically, I'm wondering what other people have done with accountancy qualifications. My accountancy qualification, to all intents and purposes, is now redundant and useless to me to work as an actual accountant in any area of accountancy. Does anyone know of people who used an accountancy qualification to move into another area or develop an alternative career?

I have often thought about this myself, though not in the same situation, currently in practice, FCCA. Returned to do the AITI tax exams last year to take me in a different direction.

You say that your qualification is effectively redundant, however I disagree, you still remain educated, and have a proven track record, with experience.

Accountants tend to interact with multiple businesses very regularly. Your self I'm sure have interacted with many before.

Consider setting up a business, give it 6-12 months. Speak to your local enterprise office for funding, social welfare for back to work?

Can you retrain, local colleges with short term courses, or even online like udemy and khan academy.

Sometimes a kick in the ass is also needed. Your off three years, and are just in a comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DFG21

Not exactly the kind of info (in fact none of the info) I was looking for but I suppose it's the kind of condescending bilge I'd expect to hear from the types who play that stupid ****e game alright. Try living in that "comfort zone" for a while, pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Not exactly the kind of info (in fact none of the info) I was looking for but I suppose it's the kind of condescending bilge I'd expect to hear from the types who play that stupid ****e game alright. Try living in that "comfort zone" for a while, pal.

Good luck getting any help with that attitude. The poster was just trying to help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

MOD Note: Completely unwarranted response to someone who was geinuely trying to help. Please watch your tone or I'll be forced to lock your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DFG21

He was in his hoop trying to help. Asked for info on what others did, got generic irrelevant waffle ( "start a business" - with what? , "do some useless online courses" - yeah) from some spoofer who started by telling me how wonderful he is and ended by insulting me.

Lock the thing. It was a mistake in ever opening it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

He was in his hoop trying to help. Asked for info on what others did, got generic irrelevant waffle ( "start a business" - with what? , "do some useless online courses" - yeah) from some spoofer who started by telling me how wonderful he is and ended by insulting me.

Lock the thing. It was a mistake in ever opening it.

He by no means set out to insult you. You're entitled to your opinion but I think he offered you some sound advice and his tone was very upbeat and polite which you did not reciprocate.

Thread will now be locked as per your wishes. All the best in your future endeavours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement