Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Series 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

CK is perfect for the NC's, happy about that. Looking forward to doing Derry for the first time. In fact, looking forward to the whole season!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

https://www.triathlonireland.com/News/2016/2017-Super-Series-National-Series-and-National-Champs.html

Only 16 National Series.
    5 Super Series.

CK and City of Derry National Champs.

Seems like a lot less in 2017 than normal am I right?

Not sure if I like that or not could be good to even out numbers and avoid people picking based on low numbers for high points

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Seems like a lot less in 2017 than normal am I right?

Not sure if I like that or not could be good to even out numbers and avoid people picking based on low numbers for high points

Ya way down from like 26 I think!

Would rathered do killee as national champs! The field will be more competitive down there no matter where gets national series. The no hiding places competitiveness about the race is great in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    CK is perfect for the NC's, happy about that. Looking forward to doing Derry for the first time. In fact, looking forward to the whole season!

I'm a fan of the race, and location is ideal, but course perhaps not so much for NC.
    Also no nearby town/Base to have an afterwards festivities but with central location most be driving home regardless anyway.

Short bike, flat, and is it one lap or two? Think it's two and so traffic issues may ensue. Little better for spectating/tracking bike in that instance however so that's a pro.
    Short run, mainly flat.

Maybe it's just as we're spoiled with Kilkee and Lost Sheep whereby NC's have been very hard courses and tough tests for all.

Leads to potentially more drafting concerns and the like as won't be much time difference you'd imagine between top competitors.

But that's TI's problem to resolve hopefully!

Fazz wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the race, and location is ideal, but course perhaps not so much for NC.
    Also no nearby town/Base to have an afterwards festivities but with central location most be driving home regardless anyway.

Short bike, flat, and is it one lap or two? Think it's two and so traffic issues may ensue. Little better for spectating/tracking bike in that instance however so that's a pro.
    Short run, mainly flat.

Maybe it's just as we're spoiled with Kilkee and Lost Sheep whereby NC's have been very hard courses and tough tests for all.

Leads to potentially more drafting concerns and the like as won't be much time difference you'd imagine between top competitors.

But that's TI's problem to resolve hopefully!

Are you talking about CK?

No laps and not as flat as everyone makes out. Road on the run has a huge camber which makes running tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Not much local for the South East. Only one is Carlow for the 795 race. Other than that it's mostly long-haul by the looks of it. Not that I'm likely to contend for NS anyway but it's just an observation.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Short run, mainly flat.
    This was my first year doing it, but the bike was single lap and over 40km on my Garmin, and the run was showing as all of 5m short (margin of error stuff)! Bike was also more rolling than I was lead to believe, after being told it was "flat".

This year was my first year, and for next year my initial target was to improve my position in the National Series just to see how I could do (I'm a long long way off being competitive, so it was seeing what I could do with more focus). But the reduced number of races and where they're on just won't make that realistic for me next year the way they've fallen. I'll probably still aim to complete the series, but I think I'll be doing a bit of goal reassessment. So I'm a bit disappointed with the release tbh - I can see how it makes it fairer for those competing for the overall, but lots of us have other commitments. Completing the National Series was a big thing for me!

I do notice that a few of the dates have moved around compared to this year - Jailbreak much earlier, Moby Dick later, Lost Sheep later. Are they all still subject to change, or is that it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no two lap race should be the NC, so good that CK doesn't appear to be two (or is it?)

Kilkee is a great NC, but it can't have it every year, it'll sell out in a few minutes anyway, will still have the top folks there, and to be honest is a smilar race if it is NC or not. something similar for lost sheep

if anything, having the NC at CK makes sense given it's in august, that bit later into the season giving people a chance to build more to it.

two observations:
    no NS sprint/oly races in munster/south west after June. again.
    Lost Sheep is late next year, mid september. the bike rack is going to be even darker than usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Ck has been 1 lap for the last few years, usually slightly long too around just over 41 km but it is fast, with the majority of the climbing done in the first 15km and the years I've done it tends to have a tailwind on some of the sections. Run is 1 lap as well and wasn't short either the years I've done it. Good course and glad it got the NC race.

Think it's right that TI made less races NS, this means the top lads might have to race each other. Too easy last year for people to never race against each other and pick races based on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

FYI - CK went to a 1 lap course two years ago to alleviate drafting and congestion and remove any crossover between bikes and runners. It has worked very well so far. This year we also removed the trail section from the run course to accommodate the para-triathletes. The run is now entirely road based with two out and back sections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I'm disappointed to see a river swim for the Aquathlon Champs, too easy to become a downstream floatfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Interesting to see Aquabike has become a national championship race. Wonder will it bring a competitive field to the race in search of a national medal?

Interesting to see Aquabike has become a national championship race. Wonder will it bring a competitive field to the race in search of a national medal?

The Skerries aquabike race was fairly competitive at the pointy end of things. Was good to see. Hopefully a bigger field will be brought to it with a national championship.

joey100 wrote: »
    Ck has been 1 lap for the last few years, usually slightly long too around just over 41 km but it is fast, with the majority of the climbing done in the first 15km and the years I've done it tends to have a tailwind on some of the sections. Run is 1 lap as well and wasn't short either the years I've done it. Good course and glad it got the NC race.

Think it's right that TI made less races NS, this means the top lads might have to race each other. Too easy last year for people to never race against each other and pick races based on points.

I stand corrected on the bike course so - it was 2 laps and 38km the year I did it. And run was a touch over 9km so well short.

I see now courses have changed and talk of elevation and all Joey!
    Not sure there were many hills down there but either way it is a great race so no complaints.

Agree on the less races for NS also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

It used to be two laps and 44km so I'm not sure when you were there!!

BTH wrote: »
    It used to be two laps and 44km so I'm not sure when you were there!!

You sure?

My garmin didn't work back then. Granted it was 2011 though... tops 42km judging by my time though if not less surely.

Anyway, think everyone loves the race so let's all agree on that bit at least :-)

Normally superb prizes too from what I remember and since. Fair play to them.

Should be a great NC so and sounds like course has altered since my time so all good.

You sure?

My garmin didn't work back then. Granted it was 2011 though... tops 42km judging by my time though if not less surely.

Anyway, think everyone loves the race so let's all agree on that bit at least :-)

Normally superb prizes too from what I remember and since. Fair play to them.

Should be a great NC so and sounds like course has altered since my time so all good.

It been a while, but I knew it wasn't short anyway.

Great race and I'll be back someday. been there four times and finished three (busted pedal last year)

Edit: old course was better, got to go over the rolling hills twice, second half of new course us dead flat.

jeff symonds did 30km at kona with one leg after a busted crank. time to htfu?

:)

mossym wrote: »
    jeff symonds did 30km at kona with one leg after a busted crank. time to htfu?

:)

Yeah,but he was 30km from transition. I was 100m.

BTH wrote: »
    Yeah,but he was 30km from transition. I was 100m.

True. Bet he didn't buy a new bike cause of a broken pedal either

• Advertisement
Advertisement