Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

forgot to register intent to marry

• 05-10-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41 krudmonkey

have been feeling smug the last couple of weeks - have pretty much finalised everything - food, invitations, dresses, suits, music, photographer, videographer etc..

it was only this evening I read a checklist online that mentioned "All couples who wish to marry in the Republic of Ireland are required to serve a minimum of 3 months notice, to a registrar, of their intention to marry."

We spoke to the priest who's marrying us over a year ago, booked the church and I have my letters of freedom... but had no idea about this?! It's 2 months and 3 weeks until our wedding. Tried booking an appointment to see the registrar online but, as it's less than 3 months away, I can't without a special court order!!?

Anyone know what I can do? Will call them tomorrow but, in the meantime any reassurance would be great.. :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

krudmonkey wrote: »
    have been feeling smug the last couple of weeks - have pretty much finalised everything - food, invitations, dresses, suits, music, photographer, videographer etc..

it was only this evening I read a checklist online that mentioned "All couples who wish to marry in the Republic of Ireland are required to serve a minimum of 3 months notice, to a registrar, of their intention to marry."

We spoke to the priest who's marrying us over a year ago, booked the church and I have my letters of freedom... but had no idea about this?! It's 2 months and 3 weeks until our wedding. Tried booking an appointment to see the registrar online but, as it's less than 3 months away, I can't without a special court order!!?

Anyone know what I can do? Will call them tomorrow but, in the meantime any reassurance would be great.. :(

Should be fine once you are together a good while and can prove this and both be from Ireland. If not could be tricky as they will throw the old 'marrying for a visa' at you. good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

You'll be fine :-) unless things have changed in 10 years

We did the same except we didn't notice until a few weeks before.
    We had to go meet a judge in private chambers and state why we failed to do so. We just told him we forgot and he commended us on being honest about it. He said he hears some great stories.

If you have a solicitor ask them to sort it out or any solicitor should be able to arrange.
    Fees wise I can't say what the cost is, it's 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 krudmonkey

we're together 10.5 years and both Irish so fingers crossed :D

hard to not think the worst, but hopefully it'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Oh, and Congratulations :heart:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

its a sign, get out while you can.

:D:D

Just kidding I have no advice but I'm sure you'll be getting reminded about it the rest of your life. good luck and congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/notification_requirements_for_marriage.html
    Court Exemption Order
    In certain special circumstances, for example, in the case of very serious illness, you may be able to get a Court Exemption Order allowing the marriage to proceed without the 3 months notification. You should contact either the Circuit Family Court or the High Court in the area in which either of you lives for details on how to proceed.

This is an informal procedure. You may apply in person (without hiring a solicitor). There is no court charge for an application for a Court Exemption Order. However, if you hire a solicitor to represent you, you will have to pay him/her. The court will require you to show:

that there are good reasons for your application
    that the granting of such an Exemption Order is in the best interests of the parties to the intended marriage.
    If you are granted a Court Exemption Order, you still have to make arrangements to meet the Registrar at least 5 days before you get married in order to make the declaration. This is required before a Marriage Registration Form can be issued.

Links to the courts are in the above URL

thanks for the responses guys ;)

rang the Registrar this morning and yes, we need a Court Exemption.

Rang the Office of Family Law who passed on an email address to which we need to send our details. We'll meet the judge and talk through our situation (free of charge) and hopefully be granted an exemption.

So looks like the wedding can go ahead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Congratulations! Don't worry, it's a breeze to get the exemption when it's a genuine case. We had to get one in less than a week some years ago and the judge was very gracious.

update - have court appointment for tomorrow, will let you guys know how I get on!

when you hear of friends getting engaged please remind them to register their intent to marry ;)

• Advertisement

update - have court appointment for tomorrow, will let you guys know how I get on!

when you hear of friends getting engaged please remind them to register their intent to marry ;)

Fingers crossed!

Friend of mine got nearly caught out by that as well - hadn't a clue til I told her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I wish I had forgotten...........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Is there any limit on how long before the wedding you can register?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Is there any limit on how long before the wedding you can register?

You must have registered 3 months before the wedding date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Rose35 wrote: »
    You must have registered 3 months before the wedding date.
    I mean the other way, is there such a thing as too early to do it? :) I'm not getting married till December next year, like if I was ready to do it now (which I'm not) could I go register now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can do it as early as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

We registered in August for our wedding next July so you can never be too early ☺

Advertisement