Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house not registered with RTB

Options
  • 05-10-2016 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that the place I'm renting isn't registered with the RTB. I'm just wondering what that entails for both myself as a tenant as well as for the landlord/estate agent. Thanks

Comments

It means that if ever you have an issue with the landlord that needs to go to arbitration, you will have the upper hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

OP let sleeping dog lie. Maintaining the animal related theme there's a very wise Donkey in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Seconded. And make sure, insofar as possible, to keep all dealings to electronic transfers and emails.

Paper trail, baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Okay, thanks, so just leave as is, and it won't hurt if there's an issue down the line? Why wouldn't the landlord register, then? Or might it be because the estate agent messed up? The estate agent doesn't seem to really be on the ball at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Achasanai wrote: »
    Okay, thanks, so just leave as is, and it won't hurt if there's an issue down the line? Why wouldn't the landlord register, then? Or might it be because the estate agent messed up? The estate agent doesn't seem to really be on the ball at all.

It won't affect you at all, except in a positive way as outlined above. There is also a lead time involved in these things.

The LL wouldn't register for a whole host of reasons from simple disorganisation to dodging tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its far more likely to be disorganisation than anything else these days- if a property is not registered- the landlord cannot claim the appropriate percentage of mortgage interest as an allowable cost if/when they are doing their tax return..........

Also- and just to keep in mind- the register the RTB have on their website- is appalling. There are properties that were registered years ago- not on it- and if you do register- it can take up to 6 months before it ever shows up on the list.

All-in-all- it doesn't affect you as a tenant- it could however have consequences for the landlord if they are indeed non-compliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yeah, I would leave sleeping dogs lie also.

Advertisement