Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on the thread tagging system

Options
  • 05-10-2016 10:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been nearly 4 months since we merged some Food forums, so I think it's time for a bit of feedback. As most of you will be aware, we implemented a tagging system for threads on the basis of user feedback. Some people wanted the option to only browse certain topic-specific threads. However, at times they're a bit redundant, and some people find them ugly. So I've included a poll, and it would be great to get some feedback on how you feel about the tagging system, now that you've had some time to get used to it.

As always, any changes that we make will be based on user feedback, and we won't change anything if the majority don't want it. So speak now, or forever hold your peace ;).

How do you feel about the thread tagging system? 13 votes

Keep it
    0% 0 votes
    Get rid of it
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like the tags, I find that they help when I'm looking for a particular thread. Otherwise I hardly notice them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think they look horrendous, and it puts me off reading the forum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Filtering doesn't appear on the Responsive version of the site (using desktop or mobile), or on the legacy Touch version of the site.
    Only available on legacy desktop site, so until it's fairly pointless as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I generally use the desktop & mobile sites which both display tags & have no issue with them. I'd imagine that they are useful for members only interested in specific topics & are better than the search function.

They're not that pretty, but there's not a lot about vBulletin that's aesthetically pleasing so that point is moot for me.

I vote to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I don't even notice them any more :o Before them I always read threads in baking/snack/cooking & recipes though so it just makes life easier for me as I can see if there's new posts fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm not going to vote as it makes no odds to me. I don't use them, I don't notice them, so it won't make any difference to me whether they stay or go. I read the thread or not based on the subject of it....

I generally use the desktop & mobile sites which both display tags & have no issue with them.

They display alright, but you can't filter on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't particularly notice them if I'm browsing the forum and they don't bother me, but it's handy to know what someone is talking about if the title is vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I don't really like the new arrangement as I find it difficult to make my way around now. Mind you, it's probably just me being a techno-dinosaur, I don't even have a smart phone, for Pete's sake - makes me laugh to watch people swiping the little screen on my phone when I show them my photos! Seriously though, I don't believe in change just for the sake of change but I'll stifle myself if everybody else is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't notice them and it's handy having all the food content in the one place so it's a win-win for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Makes no odds to me. Main thing i notice is the absence of a tag "oh that's an older thread"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Feedback has died off, and it's a pretty even split.

Speaking purely as a user, I don't even notice the tags so they don't bother me in the slightest. They were really ugly when they were black and bold, but I find them subtle now.

Speaking as a moderator, apart from from ugliness, are there any other significant problems with the tags, or ways they impact people negatively?

Faith wrote: »
    Feedback has died off, and it's a pretty even split.

Speaking purely as a user, I don't even notice the tags so they don't bother me in the slightest. They were really ugly when they were black and bold, but I find them subtle now.

Speaking as a moderator, apart from from ugliness, are there any other significant problems with the tags, or ways they impact people negatively?

The tags are fine visually, but any word on when anything other than the desktop legacy site will have the filters visible and available to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The new site is still 'work in progress'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    They were really ugly when they were black and bold, but I find them subtle now.
    +1. It still looks a little odd as they are all indented slightly differently.

You have that tick mark to jump to first unread thread, and then the words in brackets can be different lengths, and there is no spacing between them, like you might tab/indent things on a page.
    Tree wrote: »
    Makes no odds to me. Main thing i notice is the absence of a tag "oh that's an older thread"
    The creme fraiche thread is new and the OP used no tag

so on my screeen I see

✔ [Cooking] Get your Jam on! (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    Can I freeze dishes that have creme fraisce in it
    [General] Escargot shells

There is a tick mark before [Cooking], might come out different on some peoples screen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rubadub wrote: »

That's because it was moved from a different forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rubadub wrote: »
    +1. It still looks a little odd as they are all indented slightly differently.

You have that tick mark to jump to first unread thread, and then the words in brackets can be different lengths, and there is no spacing between them, like you might tab/indent things on a page.

so on my screeen I see

✔ [Cooking] Get your Jam on! (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    Can I freeze dishes that have creme fraisce in it
    [General] Escargot shells

There is a tick mark before [Cooking], might come out different on some peoples screen.

I hadn't noticed that, so I've edited it to add a tag. Something to keep an eye out for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I like the new layout as I see more threads now that when they were all separated out. I rarely clicked into the sub forums I wasn't mainly interested in.

Advertisement