Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling racer......Buying different bike

Options
  • 05-10-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I bought a Ridley racing bike a couple of years ago and have barely ridden it for more than an hour or two in total!!! Basically, too fast and I don't like being hunched over the bike......... Friends have recently gotten into riding on canal towpaths, Great Western Greenway, etc and I think it's time to trade-in the racer and get a ....what??? Should I be looking at a mountain bike or some sort of hybrid?

Should I consider looking to trade-in the Ridley or try Done deal? Or is there another option?

Help please............................... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gorteen wrote: »
    ... Or is there another option?

Help please............................... :confused:
    Yes, I'll take it off your hands for a small fee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Yes, I'll take it off your hands for a small fee. :D

Hahaha..........

I'm more interested in your views on what type of new bike I should be looking at............. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

DoneDeal or Adverts.ie
    I like the Specialized Sirrus range, second hand ones are sensible money. Or the Giant equivalent etc. Try before you buy, bring a set of allen keys to get the seat height and angle right before you try it. a small adjustment can make a bike rideable, when it was torture before.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    DoneDeal or Adverts.ie
    I like the Specialized Sirrus range, second hand ones are sensible money. Or the Giant equivalent etc. Try before you buy, bring a set of allen keys to get the seat height and angle right before you try it. a small adjustment can make a bike rideable, when it was torture before.

Are the ones you mention mountain bikes or hybrids?

Hahaha..........

I'm more interested in your views on what type of new bike I should be looking at............. :)
    Sorry, I couldn't resist!

On a serious note, a CX bike with straight bars may be an option.

An MTB may be over the top and heavy for mild off-roading whereas a standard hybrid is really for road use.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

On a serious note, a CX bike with straight bars may be an option.

An MTB may be over the top and heavy for mild off-roading whereas a standard hybrid is really for road use.

I'm not sure whether I need the MTB or the hybrid. Is there such a thing as a light MTB or a robust hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

I'm not sure whether I need the MTB or the hybrid. Is there such a thing as a light MTB or a robust hybrid?

The new fad is a "gravel bike" , one of these with straight bars would be the way to go for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

one of these stick mudguards on it !
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/kaffenback

forgot it has a flat bar option as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Get a decent hardtail mountain bike and change the tyres. The tow paths can be tough enough at times and it's safer to future proof.

In all honesty you don't need a new MTB if that's what you're a doing. And you don't need suspension. An older MTB with some upgrading would be cheaper and do the job fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Are the ones you mention mountain bikes or hybrids?

Hybrids.
    Like this.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/specialized-sirrus-road-bike/13487723

http://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/giant-hybrid-bike/11422258

Usually have road tyres, so something a little wider and grippier on grass would be an idea.

Advertisement