Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They suffered on the cross but rose again.. Lenny, Rob and Alek's 16/17 cross thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Probably not a whole lot, I think someone tried this a year or two ago, people are starting to think about returning to the road or MTB after the nationals etc...

Run a test race and see how it goes, it's not easy just to put a few sticks and tape around a field and expect to have a well attended race which would also cover your costs..
    The races have to be run in a professional manner, just as the Fixx CX is...

Cheers, definitely not thinking of putting a few sticks in the ground and hoping for attendance. Plan is to set up a course we can run 3 or 4 local league races on before progressing to 1 or 2 permanent open races a year. Just looking to see what the best time of year would be. From feedback we'll most likely look at mid December and possibly the week before the Nationals if calendar is free.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

As a matter of interest which club are you in? Or if you'd rather not say where are ye based

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I happened to be in Mayo over the weekend and it was suggested that I take part in the Ballina CC race in Enniscrone on Sunday. Being used to the quality races provided by Fixx and others, and having glimpsed the "mini-Belgium" that is Northern Ireland, I figured that this would be some kind of Mickey Mouse setup: tracksuit bottoms, mountain bikes and a couple of orange cones in a parking lot.

Boy, was I wrong...

I was a little disappointed when I didn't see a coffee tent setup, although I was able to get my pre-race latte at the local applegreen. Pits? None...but that's ok, I don't have a spare bike, I just like asking "which way to the pits?" because it makes me sound more serious than I actually am.

The course was brilliant given how little support the race got: it was on Castle Field, a really great little spot filled with loads of history. And cow ****e. Lots of cow ****e. The course had been marked out to avoid as much as it as possible. I loved the course: it was wide, it was fast in parts and a slog in others, plenty of mud, off-camber sections and tight turns. You could tell it was made with real care and love for the sport.

A false start lightened the mood among all the racers, which included the seniors and junior riders all starting together. It was completely different to what I was used to but by far my favourite race of the year. None of the bells and whistles of the other races, but everything else was fantastic.

Seriously, I know it's a long way from Dublin, but I'd be encouraging people to support at least one Connacht race next year. Take a day off on the Monday, grab a few mates and have a surf and a night out after the race. Lots of things you can do. Or just drive the 3 hours back home.

Hats off to Ballina CC, their marshals and the local support they received in setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I happened to be in Mayo over the weekend and it was suggested that I take part in the Ballina CC race in Enniscrone on Sunday. Being used to the quality races provided by Fixx and others, and having glimpsed the "mini-Belgium" that is Northern Ireland, I figured that this would be some kind of Mickey Mouse setup: tracksuit bottoms, mountain bikes and a couple of orange cones in a parking lot.

Boy, was I wrong...

I was a little disappointed when I didn't see a coffee tent setup, although I was able to get my pre-race latte at the local applegreen. Pits? None...but that's ok, I don't have a spare bike, I just like asking "which way to the pits?" because it makes me sound more serious than I actually am.

The course was brilliant given how little support the race got: it was on Castle Field, a really great little spot filled with loads of history. And cow ****e. Lots of cow ****e. The course had been marked out to avoid as much as it as possible. I loved the course: it was wide, it was fast in parts and a slog in others, plenty of mud, off-camber sections and tight turns. You could tell it was made with real care and love for the sport.

A false start lightened the mood among all the racers, which included the seniors and junior riders all starting together. It was completely different to what I was used to but by far my favourite race of the year. None of the bells and whistles of the other races, but everything else was fantastic.

Seriously, I know it's a long way from Dublin, but I'd be encouraging people to support at least one Connacht race next year. Take a day off on the Monday, grab a few mates and have a surf and a night out after the race. Lots of things you can do. Or just drive the 3 hours back home.

Hats off to Ballina CC, their marshals and the local support they received in setting it up.

I was there as well... loved it... i died and brought a set of crap tyres with me! lesson learned.
    twas good craic alright. great course and yes, the cow sh*te is a bit different! :D
    shame that other Connacht clubs dont push this a bit more... no one from Galway or Roscommon there from memory.
    short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-chJSoR3IY (need a better connection to upload more!)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Happens to the best of us mate... I've been leaving a few ovens on this season.

https://j.gifs.com/l5OLlM.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

Well that was some race in Greystones by the Fixx guys, very well run and the course was excellent!
    Snotted myself on the gravel section during the warmup so every time I went through it after that I was like Bambi :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

anyone know if there's any CX racing in Connacht this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

25sean wrote: »
    anyone know if there's any CX racing in Connacht this weekend?
    22nov in Clonbur (or the sunday of that weekend)

Good day down in Navan, well done to them.

I had only one thing on my mind as I got changed after the race, that Stew. I went to town on Bread Rolls, must've eaten about four.

An enjoyable bike cleaning session down by the river. It was easy to fill up the bucket. Unlike the Firhouse river, where I was clinging onto a tree fearing becoming the Ginger Moses.

I had a chat with the course designer after the race. Andy Laythe suggested the turns before the climb to the ridge.
    The Leinster Champs don't have a race yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, great race as usual. Guys, if you haven't done any Navan races, you need to get out and support them, really well run! (Although I fear that may be the last this year?)

Anyway, a good week of training for me was completely ruined by the weekend:

Friday work event to jump zone in Sandyford...a trampoline park meant for kids, not middle aged inactive adults.

Then I had a nice drive down to Kilkenny for my brother's stag. Two late nights being woken up in a shared dorm by guys "calling each other out" for UFC fights was a bit much. Didn't sleep well at all.

Sunday morning the bar serving breakfast next to the hostel wasn't open, so I drove straight to Navan. Coffee and 2 biscuits would have to do.

Normally I feel better as a race goes on, but I was feeling worse and worse. I kept losing my front wheel too, so after catching it again coming off the drop, I decided to pack it in. Found out that my front wheel had punctured, which explained the catching. I've never been so happy to DNF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Great wee video from the De Ronde van Cork cyclocross race in Tramore Valley Park (Cork) yesterday.
    https://www.facebook.com/DeRondeCross/videos/1402998523139003/

And so after a minor hold-up.... online registration for Bray Wheelers Killruddery GP is now open!

https://fs27.formsite.com/BrayWheelers/form1/index.html

Last CX race in Leinster before the Nationals (I think).. don't miss out!!

more to follow here and on our FB page..

grma

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Great wee video from the De Ronde van Cork cyclocross race in Tramore Valley Park (Cork) yesterday.
    https://www.facebook.com/DeRondeCross/videos/1402998523139003/

DeRonde put on a great event last weekend, great to see the Munster CX league has really taken off.

Next up in Munster is Round 6 of the league, hosted by Upperchurch Drombane Cycling Club, in Tipperary. This race also doubles up as the Munster Champs race.

Entry is open now https://fs27.formsite.com/IUW4HQ/form1/index.html

If last years event is anything to go by, it should be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

What races are on in December? Calendar looks a bit empty?

I remember there was a great series in Punchestown a few years ago, any sign of those races returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

boomdocker wrote: »
    What races are on in December? Calendar looks a bit empty?

I remember there was a great series in Punchestown a few years ago, any sign of those races returning?
    No races announced for lenister in december :(

I ran a few races in Punchestown with a friend and help from many others... great course and venue... potential to beat the band... unfortunately horse events were their priority and CX went by the wayside...

Fantastic fun in Russborough today by WORC in the Fixx Series. They made a tough course.
    The start was one for keeping your mouth closed on. Lots of mud reaching escape velocity and pinging off the helmets.

The WORC team did a great job on the whole series, looking forward to next year.
    Clonbur next week in Connaught.

I spent 3:08 above 183 heart rate, with a max of 192.
    For reference, my highest ever recorded was 195bpm, when I seen my friend nearly go over the edge on a hairpin. Second highest was 194bpm, when I nearly went over the next hairpin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Euppy wrote: »
    I'd say you'd get a great turn out for a race the week before nationals. Nothing in the calendar atm and people will want to get rid of their ring rust since the last race on the calendar anywhere seems to be 3 December

I think this is a premium date. Surprised it's free. If the location is somewhere central, you'd get the northern and southern folk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

slow wrote: »
    I think this is a premium date. Surprised it's free. If the location is somewhere central, you'd get the northern and southern folk as well.

Somebody told me that the Kinning Cycles race up North originally scheduled for the 21st January has been moved to the 7th.

ATTENTION ALL CROSSERS!!!

KILLRUDDERY CX 26TH NOVEMBER!!

WILL NOW BE RUN AS THE LEINSTER CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

PROGRAMME:
    10-11: UNDERAGE
    1100: LADIES, JUNIOR, U14, U16
    1200: SENIOR B, M60, JUNIOR U14, U16
    1330: SENIOR A, M40, M50, JUNIORS

• Advertisement

SIGN ON IS OPEN ON THE BRAY WHEELERS WEBSITE

https://fs27.formsite.com/BrayWheelers/form1/index.html

CHECK THERE FOR UPDATES!!

LAST RACE BEFORE NATIONALS!!!

DON'T GET LEFT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***UPDATE ON RACE SCHEDULE***

Leinster CX Championships 2017, Killruddery, Bray

Race Timetable
    1030: M40, M50, M60, U14 & U16 Male: 45 mins race length, youth tbc on day
    1130: Ladies, Jnr Ladies, U14 & U16 Female: 45 mins race length, youth tbc on day
    1230: Senior B: 45 mins race length
    1330: Senior A, Jnr Male, U23 Male: 60 mins race length

Kids racing on separate course
    10: U6 & U8
    1030: U10 & U12

The changes to the race times are due to the event being ‘upgraded’ to the Leinster Cyclocross Championships, and so to facilitate all categories with their ‘stand-alone’ races as best as we can. This is the general schedule at both Provincial and National Championship events.

We apologize for the late notice and hope we are not putting anybody out.

Gridding will be based on the last round of the Fixx Series in Russborough House last weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you on the day.

Some queries on the race course, whether the 'mud-swamp' or 'slippery dip' from previous years are on it again....

THEY ARE NOT!

There has been a track built through the area where the swamp was and the dip has been taken out of the race altogether...

Also, there has been a lot of rainfall on the course over the last day or two. The surface is wet and slippery but it is expected to dry up over the next few days. I think it will be a muddy race, but the kind of mud that makes you and your bike dirty, NOT the kind that clogs up your drive train... if that makes any sense...

Course will be open for practice on the Saturday before raceday from 12-2

Any queries let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP.

grma

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just brought a second hand cross bike (if the wife asks anyone, it's a "commuter"), to do some gravel spins and also with a view to trying cross next autumn. Planning on joining a club, and dipping my toe into club racing as well. I know a limited comp licence covers the club racing, but just to confirm what i read into the cyclingireland website, limited competition will also cover me for off road, including open cross races?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yes a limited comp licence is fine for cross.

slow wrote: »

Anyone got news on a cx race prior to the nationals?

TA.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jlynch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rode a really tough and fun Cross race yesterday in Drewstown house in Kells. Well run and a challenging course with lots of technical sections. Feckin cold though..

we should've gone to Belgium with Dave Conroy!

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Rode a really tough and fun Cross race yesterday in Drewstown house in Kells. Well run and a challenging course with lots of technical sections. Feckin cold though..

Was that a secret acid house race?

Advertisement