Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is aldi 75% chocolate more expensive than 85 % ?

Options
  • 06-10-2016 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Is it because it contains ground vanilla ?

Is it because it contains Dominican republic cocoa, which is high quality ?

75 % moser roth dark chocolate costs 1.79 85 % costs 1.25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Maybe its more popular and as such are profiting from this.

We are weak with chilli I constantly hear people say "oh not too spicy", and I'm sure were probably weak when it comes to the bitterness of cocoa.

I'd say it costs a similar amount to make nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wish I could find the 85% in ALdi - more often than not it is out of stock :(

Like the poster above I reckon it is down to supply and demand or maybe price matching v a certain product etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wish I could find the 85% in ALdi - more often than not it is out of stock :(

Like the poster above I reckon it is down to supply and demand or maybe price matching v a certain product etc.

I got the 85% for the first time in ages the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think the 75% cocoa solids bar is more expensive because it's made with cocoa solids from a single source (in this case Dominican Republic), whereas the 85% cocoa solids bar is from a mix of sources.

Aldi also have 35% and 62% cocoa solids bars which are sourced from Ghana and Peru respectively. They are the same price as the 75% cocoa solids bar.

I think there is also a 70% cocoa solids bar that is in the same price bracket as the 85% bar as it's from a mixture of sources.

It's the same if you are buying honey. A jar of honey containing a blend of EU/non-EU honey is always cheaper than one from a single source.

Advertisement