Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricting restricted breeds

• 06-10-2016 10:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Mods, hope this is ok! If not, let me know and I'll amend/ delete.

In case anyone isn't aware, Galway City Council is trying to restrict restricted breeds even further under new proposed bye laws, here: http://www.galwaycity.ie/bye-laws/ First link on that page. "g. Persons shall not cause or allow any dangerous dog as defined in the Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulations 1991 or any subsequent amending Regulations or Act, in their charge to enter or remain in a park or open space"

i.e. Not happy with keeping restricted breeds muzzled and on a short lead, they would not be banned from parks and open spaces entirely. There is an obvious flaw in the drafting of the above paragraph, but I'd rather not highlight it in case they fix it. They are obviously targeting restricted breeds given the legislation quoted.

There is also a paragraph that would prevent anyone from having their dog off leash in an open space: "c. No person shall take into or allow to remain in a park or open space any dog unless it is on a leash."

Consultation is open until 4pm today if people could take two minutes to email the council at parks@galwaycity.ie Alternatively, there is a petition against the protest here: https://www.change.org/p/galway-city-council-stop-galway-city-council-from-introducing-new-ridiculous-by-laws?recruiter=2091865
    Even if you only have 30 seconds, please add your name and click.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

I have emailed them earlier this morning. I cannot believe this is possibly going to happen in this day and age! There was me hoping BSL was on the way out :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Maybe there isn't a flaw, maybe they actually mean a dog that has been deemed to be dangerous by a court? They also exist under Irish law. So maybe its not RBs they are referring to? (She says with her fingers crossed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Surely this would go against animal care and welfare, as in, not allowing them to be walked and exercised??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

andreac wrote: »
    Surely this would go against animal care and welfare, as in, not allowing them to be walked and exercised??

They can be walked and exercised, just not in parks and open spaces owned by Galway City Council. So walks along footpaths, roads will still be allowed.

I don't agree with this obviously, but I saw a post on FB yesterday that basically said the dogs couldn't leave their homes, which isn't what the bye law actually says. If things are going to be fought against, then correct information needs to be used I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

muddypaws wrote: »
    Maybe there isn't a flaw, maybe they actually mean a dog that has been deemed to be dangerous by a court? They also exist under Irish law. So maybe its not RBs they are referring to? (She says with her fingers crossed)

That's not the legislation they refer to - that's the 1986 Act. The 1991 legislation they refer to specifically deals with restricted breeds.

I did think that myself first and hoped the whole thing was facebook hysteria. Had to go off and check.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

muddypaws wrote: »
    They can be walked and exercised, just not in parks and open spaces owned by Galway City Council. So walks along footpaths, roads will still be allowed.

I don't agree with this obviously, but I saw a post on FB yesterday that basically said the dogs couldn't leave their homes, which isn't what the bye law actually says. If things are going to be fought against, then correct information needs to be used I think.

It depends how the definition of "open space" is interpreted (definition below). I can see why people would be worried if they lived in a council estate or regularly walked their dogs around walkways in Galway. It depends how much weighting is given to the second half of the sentence "for the provision of facilities for games and recreational activities thereon".

Is walking a recreational activity? If so, is a footpath a "walkway... under the control of Galway City Council for the provision of ... recreational activities"? I think it's poorly drafted and leaves itself open to that interpretation.

“open space” includes all lands, open spaces, gardens, walkways, park furniture, equipment, statuary, monuments, fountains and fittings vested in or under the control of Galway City Council for the provision of facilities for games and recreational activities thereon."

Advertisement