Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Yaris or Corsa runaround?

• 06-10-2016 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Looking for a decent runaround/second car. Budget is 5K and would like to get something reliable that will last a few years. I have come across a few and would like to get an opinion on what I have seen. I'd rather go for dealer than private.

Local garage has a 2008 1L 5dr yaris with 50k miles. Looks clean enough and has NCT till 2018 and 3 month warranty.

Main dealer has a few yaris' on the forecourt.

1 x 2007 1L yaris for €5995 with 61K miles, NCT 02/2017
    1 x 2007 1.3L yaris for €5000 with 100k miles and NCT 01/2017
    1 X 2009 1L yaris for €6000 with 110k miles also NCT 01/2017

Corsas are hard to come by within budget for an 08+ and although they are a nice car I am not sure on their reliability. Having had Corollas before I know Toyotas are well made.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not a big fan of the second generation Yaris. They were never particularly well built, cheap interior, the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine is not very refined and reliability is nothing special on them. The first generation was a far superior car.

Did you look at the Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre?

For example:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Fiesta/5-DOOR/5332215566715904821/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Within budget, you should find a suzuki swift, reliable, cheap to run/insure, good drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

What about renault clio, seen 2010 for 5500 1.2 petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

batman1 wrote: »
    What about renault clio, seen 2010 for 5500 1.2 petrol
    why not, it should be cheap and reliable as well, I've never been in one myself though, so can't really comment on its other aspects (driving, comfort etc...). Reliability should be ok on this model, make sure every electrics work as they should, I know renault had issues with them in the past (not sure about this particular gen) but in doubt, double check ;)

I'd say get a few insurance quotes for all models cited in this thread, see which one turns out the cheapest, and then test drive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.3 engine in the second gen Yaris transforms it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement