Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Laya Health Insurance for 64 YO Mam

• 06-10-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I found one on Laya that is seemingly 850 for everyone over 25 and will get her around the public waiting lists.
        • Is it worth it? My Mam is 64 and I know healthcare is free for elderly (she already has a medical card for years) but is the free system for the elderly the same one as she's been availing of for years with the medical card? I'm assuming the long queues apply for older people just the same? If so, then it will be worth it.
        • Will the price just be 850 even with her age? Does it go up by a huge % every year as she passes pension age and gets older? Considering she hasn't been paying premiums for long...
        • She has been to the doctor for bone issues in the past (bone thinning, specifically) and got some scans, bone thinning/vitamin tablets. I assume the Laya's 5 year rule will apply to pretty much anything that applies to the bones in her first few years? As its a pretty general symptom and they like to play devils advocate with this stuff :P
        • One more thing.... could they really be covering all these in-patient things (minus the 200 excess) for 850? Their prices seem way cheaper than VHI and the others? I wonder why... Anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
        M

If she has never had health insurance before she will be charged 2% for every year older than 35 more than a standard policy. She will be then paying 58% more so if the premium is €850 she will be paying €1343 a year.

Advertisement