Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MultiRoom home media solution

• 06-10-2016 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭

I'm asking this on behalf of my brother who is currently moving into a house and wants to ditch sky boxes etc and just have a media centre that can be accessed from different rooms of the house to watch different things on.

He will have a main media/cinema room and then a few other tvs around the house and wants to be able to watch eg a film in the main room while the kids watch netflix/youtube in their rooms. He has cat 5 (possibly cat 6, he is not sure which) running through the rooms.

Could this be achieved with a single PC or single media box, that can be controlled separately on each tv? Or would there need to be separate devices for each tv that stream from the media box/pc over wifi?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

Tell him to get a few chromecasts.

I use plex,
    have a PC hidden away acting as a server.
    I use splashtop (remote acess from anywhere) to access it to get my media etc.

At each TV i have a raspberry pi running Rasplex. (or a modded NowTV box )
    Works extremely well on wifi and lan.

I also share the server via plex with some family members they run the plex app on their Sony smart TVs.
    My dad acesses my plex server on his ipad and casts it to his TV using chrome cast.

The beauty of this set up is you can stop watching something at one TV and pick up at another straight away.
    There is also an account system like Netflix so you know where you were in a series etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Skykes wrote: »
    Tell him to get a few chromecasts.

You can have multiple chromecasts connected to the same PC, showing different things at the same time? This would require phones/tablets to control each chromecast, wouldn't it?
    I use plex,
    have a PC hidden away acting as a server.
    I use splashtop (remote acess from anywhere) to access it to get my media etc.

At each TV i have a raspberry pi running Rasplex. (or a modded NowTV box )
    Works extremely well on wifi and lan.

I also share the server via plex with some family members they run the plex app on their Sony smart TVs.
    My dad acesses my plex server on his ipad and casts it to his TV using chrome cast.

The beauty of this set up is you can stop watching something at one TV and pick up at another straight away.
    There is also an account system like Netflix so you know where you were in a series etc etc

So plex on a pc, and rasplex or equivalent at each tv. Splashtop is for sharing your media between main plex and rasplex's? Can you watch netlfix with plex?

So plex on a pc, and rasplex or equivalent at each tv. Splashtop is for sharing your media between main plex and rasplex's? Can you watch netlfix with plex?

No,
    Splashtop is just for gaining remote access to the server pc.Its hidden away with no monitor etc etc
    I log into that from work/laptop and sort out my media.

So that is the Plex server.
    then you can run the Plex client/app on anything really.(tabs,android,ios ,xbox,ps4,smart tv,windows)

You can use plex for free on your own network (remote access to your media is 5e a month or 150e lifetime).That allows my family to see my stuff.

Splashtop is also free or 12e a year for remote access.

My server pc is a crappy old dell optimax core 2 duo,8gigs ram.

No to Netflix,
    All my media is download to the server.

Advertisement