Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Footballing Moments

• 06-10-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I'm feeling nostalgic today. Just thinking back on some of the most memorable moments in football...

November 19th, 2005 - Ronaldinho's brace at the Bernabeu.
    Jaw dropping performance in the biggest club game in the world. The drop of the shoulder for the first goal that took the Madrid defender out of the game was magic. Madrid fans applauding him off the pitch says it all on how special that day was in football history.

April 21st, 1999 - Roy Keane in Turin.
    United are 2-0 down after about 10mins to a world class Juve team. Keane grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and delivered a stunning captains performance to turn it around and win the tie.

April 23rd, 2003 - Ronaldo's hat-trick at Old Trafford.
    The Phenomenon was phenomenal on that night. A stunning hat-trick that was topped of by home fans giving him a standing ovation. Unreal.

Anyone else got any??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

The only special moment that really matters.

Euro 88 - England 0 - Ireland 1. In goes Aldridge and Houghton!! it's one nil!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Totally unbiased of course... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sWuYlDyW4

Clip starts in the 87th minute with Vitosha Sofia (now Levski Sofia) scoring the 1-3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

1. Alan McLoughlin's goal vs the North for the WC94 qualifiers. It was the first "big" international moment I had see (was 8/9 at the time) and I can still recall the nerves, the hostile atmosphere and how much my Dad and I hated the NI coach for his antics before and during the game. We went mental when he scored.

2. Ray Houghton vs Italy. I can't recall much of the game after the goal, I was so nervous I think I blocked most of it out. I do recall the heart stopping moment McGrath just got his studs to the throughball for Signori.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Liverpool beating Milan after been 3-0 down at half time in 2005 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1989 FA Cup Final

2006 FAI Cup Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Gary Lineker having a shit and wiping his arse along the ground like a dog with worms against Ireland during Italia 90. I knew we wouldn't lose that game when I saw that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In no particular order
    Maradonna v England '86 wc
    German keeper 2 footed chest high tackle v France in 82
    Zidanes head butt v Italy 06 ?
    Gerard's header v Milan to spark THE comeback
    Wheians goal v ussr
    Next year when Henderson is handed the pl trophy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

In a game where I had no emotional attachment, Rivaldo's hat-trick v Valencia on the last day of the season. Barca needed to win to pip Valencia to the last CL spot. It was a great game and became even greater when in the last minute, this happened....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shane Long v Germany of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Dave O'Leary's penalty.

McLoughlins goal in 94. Remains the only time I've cried watching football. I was just delighted that bigoted tramp Bingham had all his posturing and inciting shoved down his throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Houghton v England
    Sheedy v England
    Dave O Leary v Romania
    Barry Horne v Wimbledon
    McAteer v Holland
    Robbie Keane v Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Bradys goal against Italy

Especially after Hoolohans missed chance just before it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    Shane Long v Germany of course.

Incredible goal and incredible result but for me McAteer against Holland was more exciting and more of a goose bump moment. I'll never forget that day, maybe Irish football is just not as important to me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Bradys goal against Italy, i dont think ive ever gone as bat sh1t crazy after a goal in my life

Beckford v Man Utd for leeds in the FA cup is up there also :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Houghton vs Italy is the earliest memory i have of going crazy after my team scored a goal. I remember celebrating before, but that was a proper run around the room cheering type moment, and i'll always remember it.

More recently, Spurs beating City in 2009 on the 2nd last day of the season to get 4th spot and CL football for the first time in my life. Even beating Inter and Milan during that run didn't come close to the enjoyment i had that night. Dancing around like a mad man with the only other spurs fan in Sinnots. Good times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Houghton v England. It was in the middle of my Leaving cert. I sat there after the game, three feet from the screen, and cried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Raul and real Madrid putting utd to the sword, can't remember the year but they were awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Barcelona, Wembley, 2011. Everything about it, the defeat of Real Madrid in the semis, the significance of Wembley as the host stadium, Abidal lifting the cup
    It was ultimately the great culmination of Guardiola and that group of player's hard work and, in my opinion, the crowning moment of, again in my opinion, the greatest football team ever.

Go to YouTube, watch "The Guardiola System" which has Viva La Vida playing in the background and enjoy it all again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Watching this game in a packed pub in Dublin at lunch time. Place went ape**** when this happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Germany's 7-1 annihilation of Brazil in 2014.

The tournament was in Brazil, and the weight of expectation on the shoulders of the Brazil team was unreal. I remember journalist Tim Vickery in the build up to the tournament talking about the insane coverage that the players were getting on Brazilian TV in the build up to the tournament, with cameras in their faces at every turn etc.).

Brazil had been pretty disappointing in the run-up to the semi-final but the expectation from the Brazilian fans remained enormous. Neymar had been the one player that looked to have the quality to make a difference but he had that injury that ruled him out. Their captain and best defender Thiago Silva was also suspended as I recall, but still that expectation was there: for Brazil to get to the final and make it a win on home soil. Wasn't it destiny? To exercise those demons from 1950 when Brazil hosted Uruguay in the World Cup final only for Uruguay to go and spoil the party. This time it would be different. This time Brazil would be there in the final and have their joyous celebration...

...and then Germany came along and just pulverised them. Just crushed their dreams into dust with an absolute mauling. You have the camera cutting to the crowd and people were in floods tears, some of them shrieking in grief. It was just incredible to witness that. Football is so important to Brazilians and with everything that happened in that first half...you were watching a nation literally being traumatized.

That is a match they will be talking about in 60 years time just like the Uruguay game.

On a brighter note, I do think the victory for Brazil over Germany in the Olympic final this year was hugely cathartic and will help in a big way to heal the wounds of 2014. It doesn't undo what happened, but it gave Brazilians a chance to move on from it. And Neymar smashing in the decisive penalty was a pretty special moment in its own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Michael Thomas for Arsenal at Anfield in 1989

The title is up for grabs now!!!!

1st vs 2nd

The only result that could deny Liverpool.

89th minute

Everyone talks about Aguero. But this was the goal that clinched a title in the most dramatic fashion ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Raul and real Madrid putting utd to the sword, can't remember the year but they were awesome.

Both 2000 and 2003.

2000 was Redondo et al

2003 was Brazilian Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick hosted Drogheda in a bottom of the table clash about 25 years ago.

We went 1-0 up in the second half, then our keeper got sent off conceding a penalty. Our striker Fran Hitchcock went into goals and saved the penalty. He proceeded to make a series of saves, and held on until the 90th minute when he completely missed a cross which their striker got to. His header towards goal was handballed (grabbed, and held on to) by a defender who got another straight red. They missed the second penalty too and we won 1-0.

It turned out that both teams got relegated, but in terms of pure happiness at a result, no game has had me 'floating on air' more than that.

osarusan wrote: »
    Limerick hosted Drogheda in a bottom of the table clash about 25 years ago.

We went 1-0 up in the second half, then our keeper got sent off conceding a penalty. Our striker Fran Hitchcock went into goals and saved the penalty. He proceeded to make a series of saves, and held on until the 90th minute when he completely missed a cross which their striker got to. His header towards goal was handballed (grabbed, and held on to) by a defender who got another straight red. They missed the second penalty too and we won 1-0.

It turned out that both teams got relegated, but in terms of pure happiness at a result, no game has had me 'floating on air' more than that.

Great story . Reminded me about when I was travelling, hearing about a "dirty " Uruguay player handballing to deny the brave Africans in 2010 wc . Fast forward 3 years and that "dirty" player was ripping up the premier league . Luis Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mark Hughes, Oldham, FA cup.

If you had been a young kid watching that match you would understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

1st vs 2nd

89th minute

Everyone talks about Aguero. But this was the goal that clinched a title in the most dramatic fashion ever.

Same as that, I not a Arsenal fan by the way, I'm not a fan of any club team.

But that was a defining moment in my sport watching youth, something that will be remembered forever.

I was at a Peppa Pig show when Aguero scored, by that stage watching sport was way down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Mark Hughes, Oldham, FA cup.

If you had been a young kid watching that match you would understand.

Those 5 words on their own and I can visualise that finish like it was yesterday. Think it 94 so would have been 9 when nothing was more important than man united. How times change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Kaka making a mockery of the United defense was pretty good. 3 United defenders helpless to do anything but watch on in disbelief as Kaka elegantly put the ball in the net. One of those moments where you think "did that just happen?". Milan giving United the hiding of their lives in the return leg was also pretty funny to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Man Utd treble winning season.
    Ryan Giggs solo goal v Arsenal.
    1999 CL Final.
    Arsenal invincibles.
    Arsenal title win in 89.
    Real winning La Decima.
    Portugal winning Euro 2016.
    Long v Germany and McAteer v Holland.
    Demba Ba v Liverpool.
    Leicester winning the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Gerrard slipping and blowing the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Lovin' all the Irish flashbacks and League of Ireland stories here. Keep em' coming!!

Hating the way Irish football fans can't discuss the game without getting into United/Liverpool slagging though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

USA '94 was no doubt the most special for me too.

Houghton's goal was a very special moment, I remember almost not believing he had scored.

That pales beside the performance of Paul McGrath on the night. The word imperious was made up to describe what he did that night. 10/10 would be the rating even from those who never ever give 10 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Lovin' all the Irish flashbacks and League of Ireland stories here. Keep em' coming!!

Hating the way Irish football fans can't discuss the game without getting into United/Liverpool slagging though...

Couldn't agree with you more.

I can't understand how a special footballing moment can be from taking pleasure from another team's bad luck.

Steve Bruce's two goals albeit with extremely generous refereeing was the first special club moment I remember.

This completely pales into insignificance though compared to the special moments that still send a tingle down my back that Ireland have given me

- Bonner's save in 1990 - I was 5 and relived that save so many times on my kitchen floor

- Houghton in 1994 - I know it was a complete mi**** but still one of the most memorable sporting moments for me

- McAteer in 2001 - I remember the ball coming across to him and begging him (in my mind) to keep calm!

- Keane in 2002 - Robbie that is and his goal against Germany... Was sadly doing my Leaving Cert so had to miss the end of the game

- Brady in 2016 - The goal against Italy was just an amazing moment even now I don't have the same interest in soccer

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »
    Just thinking further back , while not on the pitch ( or special in a good sense) to shocking football tradegys
    Hysel and hillsboro
    2 defining that changed how football and stadia are run

These qualify more has shocking moments instead of special in fairness... Very upsetting when you think about them. Going to watch a match and never coming home. :(

These qualify more has shocking moments instead of special in fairness... Very upsetting when you think about them. Going to watch a match and never coming home. :(

True , I deleted it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wes goal against France I think I will remember for long time as I finally got to see Ireland take a lead in major championships. Even St Ledger goal in Euro 12 I was not sure if ref had blown for couple of seconds..

Hibs winning Scottish cup, this year after 114 years and 10 final defeats later.

Cork City winning 1st Division at Tolka in October 2011. winning the league with the last kick(header)of the game and outnumbering Shels fans at their home.3

United Fa Cup win in 1996. Was with my father when Cantona scored in Wembley. Awful game though, but I guess results do matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Is that a reference to my post? Because I don't support Liverpool or United or anyone in the Premier League for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wes goal against France I think I will remember for long time as I finally got to see Ireland take a lead in major championships.

Brady?

• Advertisement

Is that a reference to my post? Because I don't support Liverpool or United or anyone in the Premier League for that matter

Nope, no one in particular. Just in general...

It just seems any football discussion in Dublin/Ireland is always two minutes away from comments like Gerrard slipped, 20 times, 5 times, 05 is better than 99, 99 is better than 05, Biggest club in the world, etc etc... Now I know that them clubs do have special moments in their histories, but I rather if people discuss on the why they are special instead of "bants" or quick sentence jabs slagging off the other club.

Just a pet peeve of mine that I wanted to highlight before the thread gets derailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nope, no one in particular. Just in general...

It just seems any football discussion in Dublin/Ireland is always two minutes away from comments like Gerrard slipped, 20 times, 5 times, 05 is better than 99, 99 is better than 05, Biggest club in the world, etc etc... Now I know that them clubs do have special moments in their histories, but I rather if people discuss on the why they are special instead of "bants" or quick sentence jabs slagging off the other club.

Just a pet peeve of mine that I wanted to highlight before the thread gets derailed.

Gotta agree here, anyone saying Gerrard slipping is one of their "special moments" in football is just sad or straight up trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

"Agueroooooooooooo"

Ah would yous quit being so bloody precious. Last week in Tallaght was special for me. Gerard slipping also was, after a good 4 weeks of watching Liverpool matches with a mate who was so sickened. That's what football is about, sometimes it's "your" team who provides the delight, sometimes it's other teams messing up that does so, sometimes it's karma. Just bloody get over people enjoying something at "your" expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

1st vs 2nd

89th minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No Baresi, No Costacurta and no Van Basten.....no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Pretty sure an entire game or season can't be counted as a 'moment'.

Some of my favourites:

When Di Canio pushed the referee over, think Paul Alcock was his name, a genuine wtf moment.

Nigerian player mimicking a p*ssing dog at the corner flag during USA '94'; recreated that one for months afterwards.

United signing Andy Cole. Came totally from leftfield with zero rumour or speculation.

Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer having a punch up on the pitch while playing for Newcastle.

The goalkeeper Jimmy Glass scoring a goal in the last minute to keep Carlisle in the football league.

The news that Ronaldo was out of the Brazil team in the '98 WC final and then the subsequent news that he was back in. Hard to put into words how big that was the time.

Relikk wrote: »

Love that commentator :D

Jaysis the pass-backs rule was such a cheat, so glad they did away with it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

1st vs 2nd

89th minute

Pity Liverpool had a big disadvantage going into that game playing an emotional cup final on the Saturday that went into extra time, playing West Ham on the Tuesday and Arsenal on the Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jason mcateer Vs. Netherlands 2001.

Friend had spare ticket, was asked if I wanted to go, what a day. Stadium was about to collapse I felt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement