Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special Footballing Moments

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Virtanen wrote: »
    "Agueroooooooooooo"

I'm not even a City fan but that was just amazing. The most amazing 5 minutes of football you'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm not even a City fan but that was just amazing. The most amazing 5 minutes of football you'll see.

And following on from what was said earlier, the fact that it cost Utd the title did it make a lot more enjoyable for me, there is no point in lying about it. Phil jones face was a great memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/apr/08/match.championsleague1?0p19G=c

Deportivo La Coruna 4-0 AC Milan (5-4)

Outside of the Liverpool final come back, I think this is the best champions league game I watched.
    Only because I wasn't expecting much from it. Deportivo were obviously getting knocked out and then they pulled a herd of rabbits out of a hat.

City and Spurs 5-4 game was another great match.

Fowler's uber quick hat trick was magic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Bruce 1993 against Sheffield Wednesday. It was in the days when RTE2 showed a live match 15 minutes behind real time, and because there was no internet as long as you weren't tempted by Ceefax or Final Score it was like live. Anyway me and a gang of mates were playing a pitch and putt tournament in Good Counsel (RIP) and I had finished and was watching the old telly in the corner. There was something like seven minutes of injury time and Steve Bruce headed in a winner. It was the first time it felt that United might actually, finally, win the League (yes along time ago chaps). I lost it completely. I remember running to the front of the hut and jumping onto the counter, then sprinting out straight past the guys playing the first to scream at my mates who were finishing on 18. Happy happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

St Pats vs Elfsborg UEFA Cup 2008. First Pats match I went to. Was a very nice start. Richmond Park absolutely erupted after Jason Gavin's header and then it was even sweeter when Quigley got the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

The first win for Finn Harps over Derry in the league. Undoubtedly a special moment for all Harps fans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta's equaliser at the death in Stamford Bridge in 2009.

Summed up the drama and theatre of the game, controversy and the brilliance of the away goal rule. It introduced so many now household players and manager before Rome. And it was a great goal from one of the best big-game players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Kaka making a mockery of the United defense was pretty good. 3 United defenders helpless to do anything but watch on in disbelief as Kaka elegantly put the ball in the net. One of those moments where you think "did that just happen?". Milan giving United the hiding of their lives in the return leg was also pretty funny to watch.

Few years later Park making Pirlo his bitch and not letting him to touch the ball was one of the best man marking performance.

Mentioned already but McLaughlin v Northern Ireland I'll never forget. The poisonous atmosphere made it even better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Stade Jos Nosbaum, Dudelange, July 9th 2015, Europa League 1st qualifying round second leg.

After winning the first leg 1-0 in Belfield, we still went into the second leg as underdogs. But a Mark Langtry long throw was headed on by Jamie Doyle to Ryan Swan who headed past the Dudelange keeper making it 2-0 on aggregate with an away goal. Dudelange now needed 3 to win.
    We were quite comfortable for around 10 minutes. Then Seán Coyne miscontrolled a pass, stretched to retrieve it and caught the Dudelange player on the shin resulting in a straight red. We held out until just before half time when a 25 yard screamer beat Corbett. Then in first half added time, a Dudelange long throw was headed past Corbett to make it 2-2 on aggregate. The Dudelange players and fans basically thought they had the game won.

The second half was one of the most insane defensive performances I've seen. Think of Ireland v Russia in Moscow in 2011 x 100. Corbett made some astounding saves and there were countless last ditch blocks. I think in the end, Dudelange had something like 30 or 40 shots. But we held out and progressed on the away goal. The Luxembourg newspapers were less than impressed the next day. One created quite a novel meaning for UCD: Une Catastrophe Dudelangeoise

It was extra special given the fact that a lot of people in the media (and on here) were dead set against UCD being given the Fair Play place in the Europa League (UCD finished third in the Irish Fair Play league but got the spot as Dundalk and Cork had already qualified for Europe). There were several mentions of UCD "embarrassing" the league and the usual crap about having no fans (as if that somehow meant a club couldn't participate in Europe). Ironically, Collie O'Neill put a load of these "experts'" opinions up on the dressing room wall before the first leg as motivation. In the end, of the 5 Irish teams in Europe, only ourselves and Shamrock Rovers progressed past their first game.
    We gave Slovan Bratislava a scare in the next round before succumbing 5-1 in the second leg.

It was a pretty surreal month as a UCD fan. We went from barely getting our results in the Irish media to having articles about the club on the BBC Sport site, Sky Sports and the Guardian. Kind of disappointing that, with the extra Fair Play spots gone, we'll probably never get a place in Europe again.

Here's the last few seconds of the Dudelange game and the celebrations afterwards. Unfortunately the camera recording the second half broke so there's no record of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Still can't get my head around this goal. Cech looking at the ball is priceless but anyone else would be the same.

In recent years I can't remember any 1 player being that influential to a teams success than he was that season. Also was the last time Milan looked like being in the elite of Europe.

Advertisement