Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screen brightness while Photo Editing?

• 06-10-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Taken that your monitor is fully colour calibrated for your photo editing what "brightness" setting do you have your monitor at?
    What Iam concerned with is the affect my monitor brightness will have on a finished edit if I feel that I need to either increase or decrease the exposure on the image Iam editing, in other words I might feel that I need to decrease exposure but this might be because of the screen brightness of the monitor itself.
    I hope this question makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Does you calibrator not also set your brightness? mine does and usually ends up at about 125 (cant remember what the units are called) but it also takes into account the ambient light. It is up about the 90% mark of the brightness setting for the monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you own a calibration device, and have calibrated your screen, then it should be calibrated. Ideally the lighting in the room while you're editing should be the same as it was when you calibrated the screen. Any change it lighting will change perception of the colours on the screen at least slightly.
    If your calibrator is good, it will be taking the ambient light in the room into account, and should instruct you in what to do about brightness (including turning off the automatic brightness control on laptops etc..)
    If you didn't run a calibration on your screen, it's not actually properly calibrated even if the documentation for the monitor says it is. It may have come with a colour profile that puts it somewhere in the right ballpark, but that's not the same thing.
    Don't forget that if output devices aren't also calibrated, what you see on your screen us unlikely to be the same as what comes out on the printer, and it will likely look different on other screens, especially if you use a large colour space when editing (AdobeRGB or Kodak ProPhoto for examples) For output to cheap monitors a generic sRGB is probably what you want for the output profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clonyn

Recently purchased a Dell Inspiron with a 4K resolution 3840 X 2160 screen what calibrating system do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I use the spyder 4 pro, I think the current version is now the spyder 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A properly calibrated monitor will have brightness included in the calibration.

But, monitors need to be recalibrated over time too, since they change.

Something along the lines of -
    initial calibration (after you buy it)
    1 week recalibration
    1 month recalibration
    3 month recalibration
    6 month recalibration
    1 year recalibration
    etc

Monitors change over the months from when you buy them. Most of the new calibrators (like Spyder) also judge ambient light too, to keep the colours consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

peak white should be 80cd2, which is very dim but there you go.

use waveforms and histogram to get your brightness right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I currently use a ColorMunki, but I've used the I1 system before to calibrate screens, printers, and scanners. That was for a professional production environment, though. The ColorMunki I find adequate for home/hobbyist use.
    I've only ever used Spyder for calibrating screens, and not in a very long time.

Advertisement