Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dog friends... large dog

• 06-10-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody!

I am going every Saturday morning to Millennium park in Blanchardstown especially for my sister's dog.
    Unfortunately due to her size and being quite "vocal" many dogs are scared of her :( I was wondering if anybody would like to join us? She is gentle with small dogs, she is more friendly with males but her way of greeting is a bit vocal..
    She was going to dog parks in the past and to day care and never had problems.
    But in the last year when she moved to Dublin we have been unable to socialize her properly (because few people got scared of her in dog parks my sister stopped to bring her there).

I was wondering if there is anybody from the area, or any other not too busy dog park, to meet up?

Of course I don't want to put any person/dog in stressful situations so I am absolutely careful and if your dog is scared or she is not behaving properly I'll move away !

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

absolutely stunning dog!
    what is she? How old? Neutered?

nothing to say except that if you stopped going to parks/meeting other dogs, because she is so vocal, maybe if you just keep bringing her to where other dogs are, she will eventually get more used to other dogs being around.

When another dog approaches what does she do? Barking only? How are her hackles/tail/ears? Growling? Do you keep her on the leash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Hi OP

I have a male husky that looks about her size ( 33 - 35kg) that is friendly with females, he can play on the lead with her, can't leave him of the lead being a husky he will run like a cheetah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

aonb wrote: »
    absolutely stunning dog!

nothing to say except that if you stopped going to parks/meeting other dogs, because she is so vocal, maybe if you just keep bringing her to where other dogs are, she will eventually get more used to other dogs being around.

When another dog approaches what does she do? Barking only? How are her hackles/tail/ears? Growling? Do you keep her on the leash?

Hi Aonb,
    thanks for your message.
    I started bringing her to the dog park, just the one in Blanchardstown as it's quiet and I can control better the situation.
    She will greet the dogs arriving barking and jumping around... usually after few minutes this approach stops and either she plays with the dog or she just lay down in the grass as she is quite lazy

My sister usually walks her during the week, on lead and she will cry bark at every dog she meets.
    Sometimes in a "bossy way", sometimes because she wants to play.
    Problem is that she is so heavy it is difficult for my sister to control.
    She had dog training and she will have again soon I hope.

In the meanwhile I am trying to help with going to dog parks in weekend and try to find dog friends for her.
    When she was going to daycare and exposed much more to dogs she was a loooooot more quiet!

Just unfortunately I couldn't really "make friends" yet in the local dog park, asking people to meet again, so I was trying the "online dating" :D:D

thierry14 wrote: »
    Hi OP

I have a male husky that looks about her size ( 33 - 35kg) that is friendly with females, he can play on the lead with her, can't leave him of the lead being a husky he will run like a cheetah :)

Hi Thierry,
    we cannot let her offlead either because she has no recall.
    She doesn't really run away, but slowly will start sniff around and become completely deaf to our signals and follow some interesting smell!!!

I guess you are not near Dub15 or any dog park to let them play together in a fenced area?

aonb wrote: »
    absolutely stunning dog!

Forgot to say..
    she is around 5 years old (she is a rescue from a spanish perreira... brought to an italian rescue place and moved to Ireland with my sister a couple of years ago!!! Well travelled dog :D:D )
    She is neutered, just not easy to train her...

I have experience with my setter x and collie and they really listen to me.
    She is listening just when she wants..

I used to do quite a bit of dog fostering and she was during the weekends with us and always been very good to all the foster dogs... puppies and adults.. btw always fostered females for some reason and she was ok... even at home!

The real answer I guess is that she will need more training / behaviorist approach.. but it's in my sister hands and she will soon start training classes again.. in the meanwhile I am trying to help as I love her!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

jsabina wrote: »
    Hi Thierry,
    we cannot let her offlead either because she has no recall.
    She doesn't really run away, but slowly will start sniff around and become completely deaf to our signals and follow some interesting smell!!!

I guess you are not near Dub15 or any dog park to let them play together in a fenced area?

I am in D15

Fado's recall is awful too :)

Pm me and we can meet this weekend and see how they get on, normally bring him phoenix Park but can meet in a park in blanch

Fado will be very excited :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Ahh - what a lovely girl!!! I hope the meet goes well and the pups get new friends!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kizzywizzy

Sounds great! Some dogs are just very vocal when excited, hopefully this will be a match made in doggie heaven, let us know how it goes !

thanks everybody! :)
    unfortunately we haven't been able to meet yet, but let's see for the future!
    If there is anybody else... always welcome.. I am available to "travel" to other dub areas if required, but I'd like to have a quiet dog park so we could let them free..

Unfortunately last week in the dog area there were only other big dogs not friendly :(

So I just sat on a bench in the park, few meters away from where people walk with dogs.. I used the idea of praising her when she was not reacting barking etc.. and it worked after a while!
    Let's see... I'll continue the job and hopefully soon they can start some training lesson again!

Just to update the thread...
    I have been able to organize a meeting :)
    Odette started with her usual barking-non-nice way, but the other dog was not scared at all and took it as play..
    They started running around and he was muuuuch faster than her :D
    After this initial meeting, she lost interest at all in him :O
    So not too bad, but not really playing..

Another dog entered the dog area and same situation repeated.. he was a lurcher so too fast for her to scare him :)
    I guess that if she is not too scary for non-sensible dogs, maybe it's just a rough approach and they do understand each other and that is not vicious..

Anyway, I will continue with the meetings, always accepting volunteers :D
    A small video from when she was already tired lol

https://goo.gl/photos/Remm5UmSvDVF2zDk9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

If only my dog was good with other dogs. She's almost entirely deaf, would be perfect for you.

On a more serious note- even meeting with dogs who she loses interest in, will help with the barking. Might help her be less over-excited. It's all air miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I guess my Ember would be perfect. She's a 20kg Aussie and she's this barking thingy too, esp. leashed. She is super nice to other dogs, a good girl to play with (okay, she's a bit of a clumsy one, but wouldn't have a go at anyone). Just a lot of dogs initially think she's a scary vicious one.

LirW wrote: »
    I guess my Ember would be perfect. She's a 20kg Aussie and she's this barking thingy too, esp. leashed. She is super nice to other dogs, a good girl to play with (okay, she's a bit of a clumsy one, but wouldn't have a go at anyone). Just a lot of dogs initially think she's a scary vicious one.

oooh another option :)
    where are you based? do you have any dog park near you?
    I think it's always best to be able to let them free, but unfortunately Odette has no recall :(

oooh another option :)
    where are you based? do you have any dog park near you?
    I think it's always best to be able to let them free, but unfortunately Odette has no recall :(

I'm based in the north of D9, I think St. Anne's is the clostest :)

I'm based in the north of D9, I think St. Anne's is the clostest :)

Nice,
    only problem is that I think the dog park in St Anne's is always very busy :(
    We could try some walk on leash with the two barking until they calm down lol?

Nice,
    only problem is that I think the dog park in St Anne's is always very busy :(
    We could try some walk on leash with the two barking until they calm down lol?

If she's allowed to sniff butts she'd be fine :D

If she's allowed to sniff butts she'd be fine :D

maybe not straight away because I am sure Odette on leash will give her worst but after few minutes she will settle and allow to sniff :P
    (that's what happens usually anyway).

We could try maybe next weekend if you're available?

maybe not straight away because I am sure Odette on leash will give her worst but after few minutes she will settle and allow to sniff :P
    (that's what happens usually anyway).

We could try maybe next weekend if you're available?

Send me a PM, I'm sure, we can figure something out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The dog park in St Annes is usually pretty empty before 10:00am - especially on a Sunday morning. You could also just take over the car track opposite it and close the gate lol ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    The dog park in St Annes is usually pretty empty before 10:00am - especially on a Sunday morning. You could also just take over the car track opposite if and close the gate lol ;)

ah great good to know... I was about to suggest very early morning when the weather is terrible lool

• Advertisement
Advertisement