Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pidgeon breeder next door

Options
  • 06-10-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello.

I am looking for our first house, me and my fiancee and we found one that would suit our needs last week. It was curious how seeing other houses om that area got swept from under our noses and this one, with reasonable price and in good condition would not get a single offer for two weeks already. We asked for a viewing and then from the neighbor garden loomed on us a huge and ugly construction. It seems he is a serious racing pigeon breeder. I can't recall any smell but would anyone know, what sort of hazzard a metropolis for those birds can carry? Are they noisy? Smelly? Would they usually roam outside? The neighbor house did not look very welcoming so we did not really dare to just knock on his door and ask ourselves :) Also, would this normally need planning permission and are we allowed to ask if he has one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Needs planning permission, smell can re controlled to reasonable level once owner looks after it, crapping on clothes drying outside etc would be the problem. These things devalue neighbouring property, which is a reasonable reason to refuse planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Horrible things to have next door to you OP.
    Planning required and will most likely be refused.

Been involved in a few case which involved these and its unfortunate, but the home owner can legally removed the pigeon loft in the garden and move a particular amount of them to the attic space of their house.

Angry Bird might confirm the planning legalities of this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Simple: don't buy the gaff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

How many pigeons does he have?

I had pigeons for over 10 years and never found droppings on clothes or being sick (except a cold in winter).

It really depends how many they are and how clean they are being kept.
    I don't get why people are freaked out by pigeons but are ok with people having hens.

Deub wrote: »

I had pigeons for over 10 years and never found droppings on clothes or being sick (except a cold in winter).

I don't get why people are freaked out by pigeons but are ok with people having hens.

I wouldn't buy a house next door to either to be honest!

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to think that moving the birds into your attic would mean a change of use but could not be certain re planning. Bord Pleanala decision or court case re such would given (more) definitive answers.

Angry bird wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to think that moving the birds into your attic would mean a change of use but could not be certain re planning. Bord Pleanala decision or court case re such would given (more) definitive answers.

I spoke to the Person involved this morning again.
    He had to remove them from his attic as his planning for the attic conversion specifically made reference to having no animals etc

The home owner now has 2 bedrooms filled with pigeons and nothing can be done about it!

Bloody hell KC.

Angry bird wrote: »
    Bloody hell KC.

What makes it worse for the adjoining residents, who are complaining, is that the home owner doesn't live there! It's an empty house save for the 2 bedrooms full of pigeons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

kceire wrote: »
    What makes it worse for the adjoining residents, who are complaining, is that the home owner doesn't live there! It's an empty house save for the 2 bedrooms full of pigeons!

Wow!

Quick question - if it is not being lived in then it's only use is for housing animals - would that not constitute a change of use? (I.e. Used to be domestic, now agricultural)

• Advertisement

Wow!

Quick question - if it is not being lived in then it's only use is for housing animals - would that not constitute a change of use? (I.e. Used to be domestic, now agricultural)

Possibly. It I'm sure if the legal team thought they could win a case they would have presued it. Serial offender across multiple properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 beshamel81

Sadly I am new to forum and can't post pictures but this construction is huge. Those are racing pigeons and I believe he is not allowing them to roam outside. When we were viewing the property I could not see any droppings on anything in the garden or on the roof of the adjoining properties. Still the loft itself was... well not pretty. I could not sense any bad smell as well back then. Trying to get another viewing soon. The pigeon breeder is in the business for years. He was even featured in Irish Examiner recently. I would assume that if this would be a problem to his neighbors, he would not be so open about his hobby/ profession.

kceire wrote: »
    Horrible things to have next door to you OP.
    Planning required and will most likely be refused.

Been involved in a few case which involved these and its unfortunate, but the home owner can legally removed the pigeon loft in the garden and move a particular amount of them to the attic space of their house.

Angry Bird might confirm the planning legalities of this?

It seems to be successfully scaring of potential buyers for the house we are bidding on. But with the house market as it is, this would be the closest to the dream house we would ever be. Thit is why I am doing all I can to learn more about sharing a cramped living space with a house sized nest for prized birds :) I thought about actually meeting that person and learn a bit more about what we are getting into. I guess you are never buying just a house really. That package will always include neighborhood issues as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well hens are a lot less mobile, but they can be frustrating in their own right.
    No matter what way you think of it personally, the coops can be unsightly - that detracts from the property.
    beshamel81 wrote:
    Hello.

I am looking for our first house, me and my fiancee and we found one that would suit our needs last week. It was curious how seeing other houses om that area got swept from under our noses and this one, with reasonable price and in good condition would not get a single offer for two weeks already. We asked for a viewing and then from the neighbor garden loomed on us a huge and ugly construction. It seems he is a serious racing pigeon breeder. I can't recall any smell but would anyone know, what sort of hazzard a metropolis for those birds can carry? Are they noisy? Smelly? Would they usually roam outside? The neighbor house did not look very welcoming so we did not really dare to just knock on his door and ask ourselves Also, would this normally need planning permission and are we allowed to ask if he has one?

If he's a well established breeder like this guy. Then he likely has planning permission already, or has been doing it so long that it's an established usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A chap has set up a racing pigeon loft (I think that's how you describe them) nearby. They are let out when he visits and they fly around for ten minutes, then return and go back inside. It wouldn't be a situation where they spend their time sitting on your whirly washing line crapping on the lawn.
    I suppose it boils down to what you can co-exist with, in exchange for getting the house you want.
    Taking a neighbour to a planning hearing after moving in rarely leads to good relations in the future.

Dragging new neighbors through building surveys and possibly court is the LAST I would like to achieve here :) Hence the research to know what we are getting into. I see myself as a person who would rather avoid tension and I am always considerate when it comes to co-existing (living in shared houses for almost 20 years now, teaches a thing or two about compromises). But this would be my first HOME. I am a bit anxious obviously. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

beshamel81 wrote: »
    The pigeon breeder is in the business for years. He was even featured in Irish Examiner recently.
    Mellor wrote: »
    If he's a well established breeder like this guy.

I'm going to guess it is that guy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you can live with them as neighbours, then that's one problem sorted.
    If you are thinking of only living there for a a shorter period of time, sale-ability of your house in the future becomes an issue.

Advertisement