Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lie-Nielsen #4 1/2 somewhat tarnished - is this normal?? Pics

Options
  • 06-10-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I’ve bought my first new high quality plane - a #4 1/2 form Lie-Nielsen. The Bronze Cap-Iron is somewhat tarnished - if that’s the correct term. See pics below.

P1020656%201_zpsdevztz0s.jpg

ddd_zpsauy7v5te.jpg

Is this normal?

The rest of the plane looks fine and I’m dying to try it out but as it was so expensive I thought I’d check to see if this is of any concern before using it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it that a bit of lacquer on the cap iron has chipped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Where did ya get it from the screw on the cap look like someone used a screwdriver that was to small and it slipped i have a good bit of their stuff and it always came in tip top condition i get most of it from Axminster. If who ever you bought it of and i take it that it is new and they wont replace it send photos and where you got it to Lie-Nielsen and they will sort it out. If your not to bothered about going to all that trouble brasso will bring it up like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Could be a little surface oil that has congealed. See if it comes off with a solvent like lacquer thinners. Bad form still from Lee -Nielsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Doesn't look like anything that would concern me (Autosol or Brasso would clean it up), but they are an expensive tool (should be perfect out of the box?). I have a one myself (bought in the good times), I've a few tools from LN, a good manufacturer but not immune from mistakes or quality control issues. I've had to request a new plane frog (the original had a lot of slop in the adjustment). No harm dropping them an email, from my experience they want every customer to be happy but they will want photos etc.

Advertisement