Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Velvet cake with fondant

Options
  • 06-10-2016 2:44pm

Hi all, I'm planning to make a cake for a friend's graduation in a few weeks and I want to make a specific design out of fondant. She really likes red velvet cake and the red colour would work really well with the design! Only I've never made a red velvet cake before and I'm not sure how to go about decorating it.

I've looked at a few recipes online which have said that if the cake is too moist/soft it won't hold up to fondant, and that cream cheese icing doesn't stick well to fondant either.

Has anyone ever made a red velvet cake and decorated with fondant who wouldn't mind telling me how they did it/sharing the recipe? I figured if there's no cream cheese icing that will stick to fondant I could fill the layers with cream cheese and put a thin layer of buttercream on the outside to stick on the fondant.

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

You pretty much can't use cream cheese frosting with a fondant covered cake because cream cheese has to be kept refrigerated and fondant will get ruined in the fridge..

Unless you are using a fake cream cheese type frosting or a cream cheese flavouring added to the buttercream but real cream cheese filling must be kept refrigerated.

Red velvet is a very soft delicate textured cake and not one I would try out for the first time on an important cake, it can be done with fondant but would want a good firm buttercream or a white chocolate ganache to help provide structure.

phormium wrote: »
    You pretty much can't use cream cheese frosting with a fondant covered cake because cream cheese has to be kept refrigerated and fondant will get ruined in the fridge..

Unless you are using a fake cream cheese type frosting or a cream cheese flavouring added to the buttercream but real cream cheese filling must be kept refrigerated.

Red velvet is a very soft delicate textured cake and not one I would try out for the first time on an important cake, it can be done with fondant but would want a good firm buttercream or a white chocolate ganache to help provide structure.

Ok, I might rethink the cream cheese, or look for a recipe that makes a very firm one. I'd be making it the night before so if kept in a cool kitchen for a few hours it should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I wouldn't, it needs to be treated like cream for storage. If it was only for your own consumption then it would be up to yourself if you wanted to take a chance but if you are giving it to other people then if it was me I'd rather not use it. If you really want 'cream cheese' frosting you could use some of the fake stuff, that's what on most of the red velvet or carrot cakes everywhere anyway. I actually like that stuff but wouldn't eat the real thing at all :)

phormium wrote: »
    I wouldn't, it needs to be treated like cream for storage. If it was only for your own consumption then it would be up to yourself if you wanted to take a chance but if you are giving it to other people then if it was me I'd rather not use it. If you really want 'cream cheese' frosting you could use some of the fake stuff, that's what on most of the red velvet or carrot cakes everywhere anyway. I actually like that stuff but wouldn't eat the real thing at all :)

I might have a look for that instead then :)

Advertisement