Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injuries/hitting in crèche

• 06-10-2016 3:16pm

How frequently is your toddler getting hit etc by other children in crèche? In the past 12 months I've had five "incident reports" reported to me where my 22-month-old has been visibly bitten or bruised in some way, the latest being a scratch/cut on the face yesterday. There have been other times when I've noticed marks but they said they didn't know how she got them.

I really don't want her to be learning the wrong lessons and start doing that to other children but if I were to move her I'm not sure if things are any better in other crèches.

What's your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

My lady 22 months, have been bitten about 5 times this year. Obviously not nice but I think it's part and parcel of having 8-10 little ones in close quarters. They've all been pretty spaced out, if there were two incidents in a week I'd ask the manager for a chat about supervision levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do the other children have behavioural difficulties? My eldest was in childcare with two children who were non-verbal and fairly severely autistic (at the time suspected but undiagnosed). There were some biting and hitting incidents alright.

The staff did their best, but ultimately my child learned to keep her distance from them. She played with them ( and still does), but just out of arms reach.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Never any injuries bar falling /jumping off things!

but have a friend who child gets bitten at least once a week by the same child for the last 18 months.

She finally removed her child, as the service refused to do anything

Advertisement