Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First driving lesson tomorrow

• 06-10-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey guys finally took the decision to start driving. Kind of in a rut ATM and the psychologist I see suggested it.

I know I may get slagged but I'm going automatic. I just feel it be safer for everyone if I did.

I am starting my first EDL lesson tomorrow and the nerves are kicking in already. I live in a really congested area (Dublin 8) so I feel like I'm starting in the deep end.

Anyway question is , is there anything I can do to prepare myself for tomorrow nerves wise? I already have a car , but since I have little experience I be using there's.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

No shame in driving an automatic. You do have to accept the fact that your choice of cars to buy (or rent) will be more limited and possibly more expensive, but if you're OK with that, then great. Got an automatic license myself, as I'd spent twenty years driving one in the US and didn't really care to learn stick at this point.

Does your instructor have an automatic car, though? Most I've seen only have manuals.

Given your lack of experience, your driving instructor will probably prefer that you use their car with dual controls until they're comfortable with your driving standard, but at that point it might be better if you switch to using your own car; it will help you get comfortable with it and make it easier when you do your test.

If you have a good instructor, they should make you feel comfortable and will start off easy. They're used to dealing with nervous drivers, after all. Just take it slow at first and don't let other drivers intimidate you, even if they get impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Thank you for the advice Denny.

I am doing them with the ISM, and the first thing I told them was it was an automatic. They have one but only one instructor so lessons could be a bit all over the place.

Think that is my biggest worry, other drivers reactions to me. I'm a patient person anyway, so hopefully i won't let them faze me lol.

Thank you again.

Advertisement