Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pull-ups,does one use the legs at all?

• 06-10-2016 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Or is it solely the arms? I can't manage it with my arms alone but I don't have a proper 'bar' and I'm not a gym member. My goal is to strengthen my core so I can run faster.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Or is it solely the arms? I can't manage it with my arms alone but I don't have a proper 'bar' and I'm not a gym member. My goal is to strengthen my core so I can run faster.
    Thanks
    S

You could start off with negatives, get yourself into the upper position and slowly lower yourself down. This will help you out at the start until you build up the strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MajorDon

Pull-ups primarily work the lats, the big muscles in the back. It's one of the big compound exercises so other muscles are worked too, but I imagine the abs, obliques etc. (the core) are the least of them.

If you want to work the core do planks, side planks, crunches, supermen (for the lower back) etc. A quick search on YouTube should provide a lot of pointers.

It just occurred to me, the exercise you may be thinking about is a leg lift. You hang from an overhead bar and lift your legs until they're parallel with the ground. This will work the core, but the planks and crunches might be easier to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

MajorDon wrote: »
    Pull-ups primarily work the lats, the big muscles in the back. It's one of the big compound exercises so other muscles are worked too, but I imagine the abs, obliques etc. (the core) are the least of them.

Whenever I do slow negative pull-ups after a gap, my abs are always in absolute bits the next day

Advertisement