Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Georgia, World Cup Qualifier, KO 7.45, RTE 2 & Sky Sports 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

"We struggled to keep possession in the first half, would you agree?"

"Yeah but... "

Walters realises we were playing Georgia and not Spain and stops in his tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Moldova will beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Worst game of ball Ive seen in many a year

You didn't see Dundalk vs Warsaw in the aviva so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Dunphy Hoolahaning early here.

I laugh but I agree he should always be on the pitch.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah rubbish, if he was from Wexford or somewhere he wouldn't get a fraction of the criticism he gets.

Or it could make a nationalist from NI blind to his very obvious limitations.

Not that he was the worst out there tonight.

Lol dunphy

"And the goalkeeper is a clown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Or it could make a nationalist from NI blind to his very obvious limitations.

Not that he was the worst out there tonight.

You would think he is given the amount of crap posted about him.

Did I say he was great or something? No, but I do know for a fact that the fact he's from Derry has a big influence on the opinions of hte likes of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Coleman's goal was like something out of Rocket League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

RE: Coleman's goal - "He played seven 1-2s with Georgia, and the goalkeeper.... is a clown" - Dunphy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The worrying thing is teams like georgia are catching up on Ireland every qualification campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Good point Dunphy, Dundalk are better than Ireland. The irish players tonight were petrified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Dunphy has seen Dundalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Too much Giles name-dropping, putting Sadlier in an awkward position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Oh Christ, Dunphy has a new batch of teams to add to The Irish Rugby team, the Kilkenny's, The Cork Women's now for every post game waffle! Welcome Dundalk!

You would think he is given the amount of crap posted about him.

Did I say he was great or something? No, but I do know for a fact that the fact he's from Derry has a big influence on the opinions of hte likes of you.

Obviously not as much as it influences you.

For starters, on this thread, I hadn't mentioned him, bar observing he missed a good chance - which he did - before you came out defending his general play and his background. And then you laughably accuse me of influenced opinions. We can check back through posts if you want analysis.

As I said, blind to his limitations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

O'Neill is extremely passive-aggressive towards poor Tony.

MON hates Tony's guts.

Far play

At least Tony hit him with the hard questions

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Ropey 1-0 win

^^

Not that it was a crazy prediction

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Oh Christ, Dunphy has a new batch of teams to add to The Irish Rugby team, the Kilkenny's, The Cork Women's now for every post game waffle! Welcome Dundalk!

In fairness, the point he makes is valid. Dundalk do play a better brand of football. That's not to say they would be better, or that Kenny could manage the national side, just that they have a better attitude.

But still, 4 points playing badly. I'd have taken that at the start of the campaign. I think O'Neill is not so blind as to ignore the criticism, in the last qualifying campaign we stepped it up following a few poor showings.

• Advertisement

Obviously not as much as it influences you.

For starters, on this thread, I hadn't mentioned him, bar observing he missed a good chance - which he did - before you came out defending his general play and his background. And then you laughably accuse me of influenced opinions. We can check back through posts if you want analysis.

As I said, blind to his limitations.

Dry your eyes!

He was getting slated, I made a post not aimed at you and you quoted me and had a pop at me for apparently thinking he's great despite me not having said or insinuated that.

How then is it laughable?
    How then am I blind to his limitations if I never said he wasn't limited?

Go back though the posts there and have at it. :rolleyes:

As I said, blinded by a hatred of things Northern, as you always have been on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

We haven't a hope against Wales or Austria. The problem is a lack of quality players coming through. We have the suspensions and injuries, now we are looking at the older guys like Wes and Whelan to come in, hardly inspiring for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Duff wrote: »
    O'Neill is extremely passive-aggressive towards poor Tony.
    MON hates Tony's guts.

I would not cross MON. Genuinely makes Keane look like a teddy bear.

The tension between those 2, the last 2 and a half years has been extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Always darkest before the dawn guys - right?

Right?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would not cross MON. Genuinely makes Keane look like a teddy bear.

The tension between those 2, the last 2 and a half years has been extreme.

Yeah O' Neill would cut you to pieces. He's a hard bastard disguised as a Geography lecturer.

Dry your eyes!

Says poster getting all wound up by criticism of limited player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Rumours that Arter is declaring for England are just rumours, right? Because as bad as we are, that would make us worse.

Says poster getting all wound up by criticism of limited player...

Am I getting wound up by a player being criticised? Really??

Did you not go though those posts yet to prove me wrong or have you been reduced to selective quoting and throw away attempts to wind up?

I'm waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Did you not go though those posts yet to prove me wrong or have you been reduced to selective quoting and throw away attempts to wind up?

I'm waiting.

Soup of the day so.

James McClean is a fire-starter, which is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

McCarthy played well in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Dunphy was 100% right to quote the superb performances (and results) of Dundalk against decent European opposition, BATE Borisov, Legia Warsaw, AZ Alkmaar and Maccabi Tel Aviv.
    Interesting fact: Valerian Gvilia who started tonight for Georgia was on the bench for BATE Borisov when Dundalk beat them 3-0 in the Champions League earlier this summer in Tallaght
    Tonights match programme had a very small piece on Dundalks performances on p44, should have been a two page spread with photos, match reports and the Europa League Group D table showing Dundalk in second place. The only thing that will catch them out is the crazy schedule they are been forced to play in October.
    Very poor from Ireland tonight lucky to get out with a win, but we'll take it.

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah O' Neill would cut you to pieces. He's a hard bastard disguised as a Geography lecturer.

Now you're talking!

I'm waiting.

:)

You're the one getting personal, saying I hate all things NI, lashing out at criticism of McClean and saying it's because he he is from NI.

I also think Ward and McGeady are limited. I guess I just hate Ireland and Scotland too...;)

Always good to win even if not playing great. Slow start to the last campaign under MON as well, but we got there at the end with a win over Germany and other good results. Hopefully the same pattern will emerge in this campaign. If we beat Moldova on Sunday, that will be a good start to this campaign, and if we get a win there then better performances may come when we meet Wales, Austria and Serbia in the home game.

Awful whining on this thread.

:)

You're the one getting personal, saying I hate all things NI, lashing out at criticism of McClean and saying it's because he he is from NI.

I also think Ward and McGeady are limited. I guess I just hate Ireland and Scotland too...;)

Lashing out lol/ Aye right.

You got personal. I made a general post to no-one in particular saying he wouldn't come in for so much abuse if he was from the South, YOU got personal with me in your reply.

Maybe instead of BSing about going back looking at posts how about you actually do it.

Stephen Hunt is turning into Leland Palmer.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Always good to win even if not playing great. Slow start to the last campaign under MON as well, but we got there at the end with a win over Germany and other good results. Hopefully the same pattern will emerge in this campaign. If we beat Moldova on Sunday, that will be a good start to this campaign, and if we get a win there then better performances may come when we meet Wales, Austria and Serbia in the home game.

Awful whining on this thread.

Typical. The moaners on here reckon we're some sorta lost Green Brazil.

Haven't a spark of spirit in their being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,940 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So we want Wales to draw Georgia, us to win and maybe a draw in Serbia/Austria game

There will be a huge buzz going into the Austria game if we have 7pts on the board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

edgecutter wrote: »
    We haven't a hope against Wales or Austria. The problem is a lack of quality players coming through. We have the suspensions and injuries, now we are looking at the older guys like Wes and Whelan to come in, hardly inspiring for the future.

That's just not true at all. On a big game day we are generally a match for anyone. Don't underestimate the teams ability to massively increase performance levels when facing tough opposition with a full house in the Aviva. Walking out to a half full/empty stadium tonight can't have inspired the required levels of motivation to go out and perform tonight.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So we want Wales to draw Georgia, us to win and maybe a draw in Serbia/Austria game

There will be a huge buzz going into the Austria game if we have 7pts on the board

Minimum a draw in Serbia/Austria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't get despondent about these games. I'm just used to it now. We'll always struggle against those teams. It's the style we play. We don't pass it. We don't stay patient. We don't pick holes in a defence. It's head down, direct, rushing football.

We ping it long, we go for the second ball, and hope something breaks for us so we can build from there. It's painful against these teams. They stay solid, don't over commit, compete in numbers for the second balls, and keep the ball quite well.

I'm sitting there begging, pleading, grovelling, wishing for the lads to get it down, keep it, draw them out a little and create some space to play. But the lads just don't. And I don't know if we're incapable, or we're just told not to.

We'll be more than competitive against Austria and Wales. Why? They'll probably commit more forward to allow some space, so it won't be incumbent on us to create it.

MON is a dinosaur of the game now. Get field position by hoofing it and getting the second ball. Getting it wide as quick as possible and crossing it as early as possible.

But as long as we stumble on, sure it'll be grand.

Packie just nearly called Ireland Celtic. Legend is Pat.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I don't get despondent about these games. I'm just used to it now. We'll always struggle against those teams. It's the style we play. We don't pass it. We don't stay patient. We don't pick holes in a defence. It's head down, direct, rushing football.

We ping it long, we go for the second ball, and hope something breaks for us so we can build from there. It's painful against these teams. They stay solid, don't over commit, compete in numbers for the second balls, and keep the ball quite well.

I'm sitting there begging, pleading, grovelling, wishing for the lads to get it down, keep it, draw them out a little and create some space to play. But the lads just don't. And I don't know if we're incapable, or we're just told not to.

We'll be more than competitive against Austria and Wales. Why? They'll probably commit more forward to allow some space, so it won't be incumbent on us to create it.

MON is a dinosaur of the game now. Get field position by hoofing it and getting the second ball. Getting it wide as quick as possible and crossing it as early as possible.

But as long as we stumble on, sure it'll be grand.
    You make some good points. It's a results game at the end of the day. Under MON Ireland has played some decent football at times. I don't know why it seems to be such a slow burner. Still if they keep winning, they'll stay in with a chance of qualifying.

MON isn't a "dinosaur" as you put it. He knows what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That was a tough watch......going to be a long qualifying campaign watching hoofball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,940 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we struggle vs **** teams. San Marino almost drew with us ffs, Cyprus beat us

we become animals vs the good teams (sometimes it can work out for us eg Germany 2015 but sometimes it can ugly eg Belgium at the euros)

the austria game in november can go few ways

1- We fight for a Heroic draw
    2- We scrap a win
    3- We lose after a brave performance
    4- We get destroyed and the pressure starts to mount for the team/management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

It was a depressing watch tonight...I was so angry watching that first half.

I for one don't go in for the little auld Ireland....sure we don't have the players to play good football rubbish. We have enough quality imo to get the ball down and play constructively against most opposition. Against the elite nations obviously we will struggle to match them technically at present but not against bloody Georgia surely.

I wouldn't mind at all even if we mixed the game up a little. Hit the channels and pressed up but we don't seem to know what we are at the moment. Players look like they're caught between playing with their instincts or by O Neills tactics.

I don't even think the players we have at our disposal are suited to playing hoofball. Coleman, Brady, McCarthy, Hendrick and Long don't play that way at club level and have the ability to play a more refined game.

The others are less technically gifted so it makes sense to mix up our game between being creative on the ball and some intelligent direct play. Hit the channels and press up and support. The gaps between the lines are too wide at present for any long ball to be effective imo.

We are at our best when playing an in your face, high pressure game....play with a high tempo and play the ball around a bit. The first half tonight was so removed from this I couldn't believe it.

We seem to play constructively when the shackles come off i.e when we are chasing a game but once we go grab a lead or games like tonight where we are favourites we clam up and revert to type.

Roy Keane spoke about players needing to take more care of the ball so at least the management are aware of the issue but I don't think O Neill is encouraging this type of positive play personally.

I don't expect Ireland to play like Spain or Germany but I also believe we are capable of playing a decent brand of football without reverting to the rubbish we saw tonight and against Serbia.

Because let's be honest it was rubbish to watch. I know it's a results game but Jesus come on...nobody enjoys watching that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

totally agree....of course in every game the result matters, but it often gives the management team a get-out-of-jail-free card imho.

Like I heard tonights game called a 'must win' and it probably was. Then again, every qualifier in groups like this are important, so is winning the be-all-and-end-all? You often hear football people say "its about the 3pts tonight, we'll worry about playing well in the next game". But the next game never arrives...once you qualify, its all about being dogged for 3 games and trying to get out of the groups....then in the 1st knockout game, sure the performance doesn't matter, its all about getting through.....and so on and so on..right into the next qualifying campaign..... so in theory its always about winning, irrespective of the performance.

So by that logic, Ireland will never be able to change their style of football. As we will be too busy trying to grind out points in every game we play.

If English EPL and Championship is half as good as its touted to be, then surely we should be able to play a better style of football than what we witnessed over the last 2 qualifiers? Sometimes I'd rather watch better football and take more defeats. But guys like MON has no interest in that, its results for them and to hell with style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Home from game. First half was worst I have seen Ireland play live and that includes Cyprus in 2007.

2nd half was much better. Pressed better, played more intelligent football, nothing special, but enough to win the game.

James Mcarthy was excellent as the ball winning midfielder.

I actually can't think of Ireland player who was poor tonight which is strange with 1st half we had. It was more a lack of aggression and being little disjointed in first 45min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Home from game. First half was worst I have seen Ireland play live and that includes Cyprus in 2007.

2nd half was much better. Pressed better, played more intelligent football, nothing special, but enough to win the game.

James Mcarthy was excellent as the ball winning midfielder.

I actually can't think of Ireland player who was poor tonight which is strange with 1st half we had. It was more a lack of aggression and being little disjointed in first 45min

McCarthy was very poor in the first half. He played much better in the second half and he has been out injured a while so there is that. I also thought Brady was pretty poor in the first half also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement