Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which smart set up for this house

• 06-10-2016 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We recently moved to a new house and I've been belting through the list of things to do.
    One of them is to get a bit of smarts into the heating.

The house is a bungalow with four bedrooms, two of which are ensuite, a kitchen, utility room, bathroom and a living room. The upstairs has been converted to a large (40'x13') room connected to the hall by an open spiral stairwell. House is BER rated C2.

Altogether there are 14 rads broken down as follows.
    • 1 in living room
    • 2 in kitchen
    • 2 in hall
    • 1 in utility room
    • 2 upstairs
    • 1 in each bedroom(4)
    • 1 in each en suite(2)

External Grant 50/90 oil boiler. Approx 10 years old.
    Open fireplace in the living room.
    Grasslin Towerchron QE1 panel in utility room.
    No thermostats in the house.

I have been checking out various systems from Netatmo to Nest to Honeywell Evohome to Tado and back again. I think at this stage I have tied myself in knots.

I'm happy running wiring and performing any of the IT side of the set up as well as replacing the rad valves with motorised ones if need be. Any wiring back to the board would be left to an electrician.

So does anyone have any recommendations as to which system would be best?

Apologies if you need more info. Head is a bit fired at the mo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I wouldn't waste too much time fitting motorised valves on individual radiators. It's just more junk that can break.

There might be some sense in creating three zones (living areas, bedrooms and hot water tank). This might be a good bit of plumbing, or it might be simple enough, it all depends on how the pipes run.

For the controllers, really, at the end of the day, these things will give you web control of a relay which turns the boiler on and off. I think, at heart, this is what you really want to do. You can argue all day about which one is better. It really depends on your style of living.

Advertisement