Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log Book/Private seller

• 06-10-2016 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Went to see a car the other night (private sale). Really liked it.

Going to meet the seller next monday to buy.

I gather I get the log book and its my obligation to register the car ?

If the other person tells me they'll fill out the details and send it off I should wait to get the log book back in the post before I hand over cash ?

Bought before but its been a while so I can't remember how it works.

I presume if I left it to the other person they could turn around and claim their car was stolen.

Paranoid maybe but you hear some horror stories.

Any advice ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No you fill in the logbook and the seller sends it off, otherwise the seller risks you never registering it and them being responsible for all your fines and penalty points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

No you fill in the logbook and the seller sends it off, otherwise the seller risks you never registering it and them being responsible for all your fines and penalty points.

What about the scenario where the other person never sends it off and claims a stolen car ?

Or is it I fill it out personally as opposed to giving them my details for them to do it and then if they are asked to produce it my signature is on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The procedure is that the seller fills out the new owner's details on the log book and then the seller sends it to Shannon where they will issue a new log book to the new owner.

It's far from a perfect system but the best thing to do is bring an envelope with addressed to Shannon, and both of you drop it into a nearby postbox or post office. That way the seller knows it's sent and so does the new owner. If you like take a photo/photocopy of the log book filled in with your details, prior to popping it into the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Heckler wrote: »
    What about the scenario where the other person never sends it off and claims a stolen car ?

Or is it I fill it out personally as opposed to giving them my details for them to do it and then if they are asked to produce it my signature is on it ?

Craft a simple deal, in two copies. http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/Used-Car-Sale-Contract. Keep one, handle the second one to the seller.

Verify the identity of the seller, take a photo of their driving license.

Transfer the money electronically, pay with the draft or withdraw the exact money on the day of the transaction.

Don't forget about the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thanks all for the replies. Have the car. Verified the log book details and chassis no. Think all should be fine.

Just my first private buy beyond buying from people I really knew and trusted.

Cars running great.

So far so good.

Transferred the insurance over. All good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement