Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large engagments during the War of Independence?

Options
  • 06-10-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Other than the Customs House (80 - 90 vols.), Crossbarry (104 vols) & the Battle of Ballinalee (over 200 vols) what were some other engagments (if any) that involved the IRA using 70+ Volunteers or more in battle or close to it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Belleek/Pettigo was during the truce but it was the only time British forces used artillery in that conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

It falls short of the 70+ standard set, but the Battle of Tourmakeady in Mayo (3rd May 1921) comes close, with a 60-strong Flying Column from the South Mayo Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Jesus. wrote: »
    Belleek/Pettigo was during the truce but it was the only time British forces used artillery in that conflict.

Never heard about that before. Belleeks was where the Provisional IRA carried out a landmine attack while a British Army convoy was along the road during & killed 3 soldiers and injured about half a dozen in 1976.

Ascendant wrote: »
    It falls short of the 70+ standard set, but the Battle of Tourmakeady in Mayo (3rd May 1921) comes close, with a 60-strong Flying Column from the South Mayo Brigade.

He said "or close to 70" so it fits his criteria.

Ah yes I read that book a while ago. The author (ex-army) cuts through the bullsh1t and gets to the truth about the engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tiger100

The Custom House was a huge operation, the full Squad where there 21 men, the ASU 50 men, the second battalion had at least 50 men (poss more), the first battalion had men there, then there was the fire stations held up, you could be up to around 200 IRA men involved. Oh and the 5th battalion engineers where there too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Tiger100 wrote: »
    The Custom House was a huge operation, the full Squad where there 21 men, the ASU 50 men, the second battalion had at least 50 men (poss more), the first battalion had men there, then there was the fire stations held up, you could be up to around 200 IRA men involved. Oh and the 5th battalion engineers where there too !

Or you could look at Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_the_Custom_House for a less partisan synopsis

They achieved their objective but it damn near destroyed the Dublin OIRA

Why would I want to look on wikipedia ? I have spent years researching the prisoners that where taken on the 25th of May 1921 at the Custom House. I know most of there units at capture and what way they later went in the Civil War, you won`t find that on wikipedia ! I can give you numbers, percentages captured of units etc.I am a relative of one of the men & in contact with the families of a lot of the men who fought that day.

Jesus, thats a myth there where over 1600 men in the Dublin Brigade at the time of the burning. The ASU where hit bad but they regrouped into a new unit called the guard.A week later they where hitting back as hard as ever.

I am a relative of one of the men & in contact with the families of a lot of the men who fought that day.

And your Grandda was in the GPO and so was your Grannie........yeah yeah

• Advertisement

I am sure my Grandad was in the GPO along with my Granmother, sure it was the place to go to post a letter or buy a stamp back in there day ! Sorry Jesus did I offend you in some way to warrant your little remark ? if your calling me a liar ? what can I do to prove myself not to be a liar ? maybe share a picture of the prisoners outside the CH and you will see my great uncle ? or maybe his pension papers that mention capture at the Custom House, or his arrest papers ? ASU reunion picture at the Custom House ? Picture of the men collecting ASU certs (great uncle included ) or picture of me laying the wreath at the Custom House ? or maybe a video of this years commemoration ?

Tiger I've no interest in your family history. I'm interested about the claim you made regarding the Dublin OIRA. A link to a source is what I want not a picture of your great Uncle Bulgaria in his britches outside the fukking Custom House :rolleyes:

Ah ok Jesus, why did you not just say that ? instead of your GPO remark. You know what little man, you prove to me that the OIRA (As you call it, not to be confussed with the IRAO) was destroyed and I will prove that it was not. So Jesus what did your family do during the War of Independence ? it they where anything like you sit on there hole, being argumentative.

Ah ok Jesus, why did you not just say that ? instead of your GPO remark. You know what little man, you prove to me that the OIRA (As you call it, not to be confussed with the IRAO)
    Never heard of the "Irish Republican Army Old"! The "OIRA" could be confused with the Official IRA but I figured given we're talking about the Custom House you'd know its the Old IRA I'm referring to.
    was destroyed and I will prove that it was not.
    Didn't say it was destroyed. "Damn near" I think is what I said. You said that's a myth. Tell me why?
    So Jesus what did your family do during the War of Independence ? it they where anything like you sit on there hole, being argumentative.
    OOH this Tiger has claws!!

What if I told you they fought on the other side? Not saying they did or didn't, just wondering what your reaction would be cos you sound like a fool who's found out your ancestor was in the OIRA and now feel like your some sort of hero yourself. Tell me, how old are you Tiger?

Still waiting for you to answer the question ? Destroyed or dam near, prove it. Then I will prove that your wrong.

I seem to have hit a raw nerve there. I am not a hero & I am not a keyboard warrior like you. I would have respect for your family if they did fight on the other side, I have no respect for you. Now please provide proof of your argument & stop beating around the bush.

BTW the IRAO was, ah go google it.

Tiger stop acting the Clown. You've been found out and now you're sh1tting it.

What a feckin' eejit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

thread closed due to irrelevant bickering

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement