Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - Sharp 48" smart tv : €399

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

I paid about €40 odd euro for the one below and it's getting very good reviews. I hoping to have it delivered tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E1QQHPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

south wrote: »
    I paid about €40 odd euro for the one below and it's getting very good reviews. I hoping to have it delivered tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E1QQHPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Do you mean €40 more?

chris1970 wrote: »
    Do you mean €40 more?

Yes about that. I believe it's a far better TV for the extra few euro. I'm no expert on it but I believe that Sharp would be a brand that a lot of people avoid these days.

Ironically hisence bought the Sharp brand name in North America to use on some of their own TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

This is Bargain alerts. For bargains. Not asking questions.

Can a post be out on the main page? It's at least 3 or 4 of these in the last couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Ironically hisence bought the Sharp brand name in North America to use on some of their own TVs

Sharp, Blaupunkt, Tevion, e-montion and Tecknika TVs in are built by UMC in Slovakia. Some of these TVs are known to develop issues with capacitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Ive spent some time looking for a tv in this price range and this seems to be far ahead of anything else I have seen and have been thinking about purchasing.

Only potential downside I have seen is longevity with older Hisense models (may no longer be true) and the menu is supposed to be a little bit clunky and not much app choice.

Let me know how you get on will you. Are you gonna be gaming on ps4/xbox 1 with it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Euronics have an Lg with similar special specs for 50 more. That luzern website has it for cheaper but I've not bought from it before and find the website difficult to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks for feedback guys. (Except obviously you Rossieman!!).

The price is the main factor on the Sharp for me here and with that in mind I suppose theres a few serious competitors in Currys too.

JVC 49" for €359
    JVC 50" Smart for €429

and with slightly smaller screens

Seiki 40" Smart for €279
    JVC 42" €259

Any thoughts on those competitors? (I am unlikely to stray from a bricks n Mortar shop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

JVC and Sharp would be no different really, both low end TV's. I had that Sharp TV previously, picture is fairly decent, sound very mediocre, 50hz was not ideal for my setup but it's what you would expect for the price. Not a bargain at €399 really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

RossieMan wrote: »
    This is Bargain alerts. For bargains. Not asking questions.

Can a post be out on the main page? It's at least 3 or 4 of these in the last couple of days.

For the majority of bargains, I'd agree with you, but for some threads, what might be perceived as a bargain may not necessarily be one. Particularly with higher value items, sometimes there is a need for some discussion to figure out if it is a bargain (or not). sometimes there might be alternative options that may be better value or even a better bargain.

as to the TV, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

JVC and Sharp would be no different really, both low end TV's. I had that Sharp TV previously, picture is fairly decent, sound very mediocre, 50hz was not ideal for my setup but it's what you would expect for the price. Not a bargain at €399 really.

Why does anyone expect decent sound from a flatscreen tv these days? Its nearly impossible to get high quality sound with the dimensions of a f/s tv, it doesn't allow for the depth required by the speakers.
    Run it thru any half decent amp and into even a set of computer desktop speakers and it will improve it immeasurably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

(I am unlikely to stray from a bricks n Mortar shop)

What's your rationale behind that?

I've purchased two of my last three TV's from Amazon & I'd wager dealing with any issues down the line would be considerably less hassle than the hoops you'd have to jump through with the likes of Curry's or DID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

terrydel wrote: »
    Why does anyone expect decent sound from a flatscreen tv these days? Its nearly impossible to get high quality sound with the dimensions of a f/s tv, it doesn't allow for the depth required by the speakers.
    Run it thru any half decent amp and into even a set of computer desktop speakers and it will improve it immeasurably.

I was hardly using home cinema setups as the yardstick for sound quality. The sound from this TV is poor, as sound in flatscreen TV's go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I agree with you re being able to ask questions. But not from the OP. The OP shoildnt be asking of its a bargain, this isn't a question and answers thread. That was requests is for. Stick it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

ablelocks wrote: »
    For the majority of bargains, I'd agree with you, but for some threads, what might be perceived as a bargain may not necessarily be one. Particularly with higher value items, sometimes there is a need for some discussion to figure out if it is a bargain (or not). sometimes there might be alternative options that may be better value or even a better bargain.

as to the TV, I don't know.

Asking a question and seeking a discussion belongs in the 'request' thread.

Mods probably asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi South,

has this TV arrived ? if yes, what is your initial thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just got a software update for this and updated to 1.17. Still no netflix app! Serious buyer's remorse with this TV.

Advertisement