Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion kicked down the road

Options
  • 06-10-2016 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    going unreg for that.
    The Background: I joined the company four years ago to work on Ireland related accounts, I did so well that I got added further regions to work on their accounts. Also I did so well that I not only reported to my regional manager but also the global management team.

Two years ago my manager decided to start an own company and left. New manager was appointed. As I was two years in my role as Junior and had far more tasks when I started, I asked what I needed to do to deserve a promotion. So the new manager told me that I need to justify it and speak to several people that are working on the next step of my role to show that I am ready. So I did that and could verify that I am doing what they are doing. I discussed this findings with my manager and was told that I also need to talk with specific other people and add their input. So I did that. Then I was told that the promotion cycle had ended but we would try in the next one, but I should take on additional tasks to show that I am ready. So I did that, the next promotion cycle came and I created my case and brought it to my manager who put it in, this was supported by the supervisor of my manager. It took some weeks, but it was shut down as for my role the promotions are only done every second cycle. (I was not the only one who was told that, so that is true).

Two weeks ago, I put the promotion request again to my manager, and I was told it wouldn’t be put forward as the managers already discussed it and I was seen as not strong enough by the supervisor of my manager. I wanted to clarify it, but this superior went on a sabbatical for four months so I won’t be put forward as this approval is needed. My manager gave me the reasoning and it was mostly phrases like “needs to be more visible” and so on. My manager gave me the advice to simply work hard and next year in December, it will work, as my manager will clear it up to the supervisor all the good work I am doing. I was also asked to add more tasks to my role to show that I am serious.

Side Info: Since the new manager arrived 8 out of 20 people in the department moved on mostly because of the new managers behaviour towards them. Backfilled were two positions.

My dilemma is now that I love my company and my work itself. I enjoy it but through this adding of tasks and regions my workload is really high and I am getting exhausted. So far I kept myself up with the hope of getting promoted, what didn’t seem unreasonable but now I feel like a can that is kicked down the road forever. Also it puzzles me that the supervisor supported me months ago and now pulled the carpet under my feet.

I see for myself now three options:

1. Work hard and take the feedback on board with the hope that the second next cycle I will get the promotion, what would mean six years in my role

2. Continue working as now, and forget about getting promoted and also stop taking additional work on. At the end it is good money and the longer I work the quicker I get, what will take the pressure of me

3. Find a new job, as I won’t progress anytime soon and just get more work added without really a chance of recognition. It shouldn’t be a problem to find a job, but most likely would have to take a pay cut

Did anyone had a similar situation or what advice would you give me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Haven't been there myself.

But I'd pick option 3. They're messing with you. Except for having to take a pay-cut. Only take that if the new role is career beneficial, ie you'll learn something new and worthwhile.

Option 4 is to stay put, but give up looking for promotion. Only do that if the higher pay is worth not pursuing option 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Option 3 is the quickest.
    Get out there and look for a position at a grade you feel confident of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The management are simply squeezing as much out of you as they can with little intention of promoting you. Part of the reason they're probably knocking you back is because when they promote you, they will need to backfill your role, and it'll look like the department's budget is doing worse than they want.

As Mrs OBumble says; I'd go with option 3. If you've been putting in the level of work that you say you have, you should be able to find a more senior position that pays more in another company. When asked by potential employers why you want to move, you're telling them that there is no scope for advancement in your current company and you want a role with more responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

seamus wrote: »
    As Mrs OBumble says; I'd go with option 3. If you've been putting in the level of work that you say you have, you should be able to find a more senior position that pays more in another company. When asked by potential employers why you want to move, you're telling them that there is no scope for advancement in your current company and you want a role with more responsibility.

Exactly, I find that in an interview situation that potential employers love a story. "I started doing X, then I took on Y responsibilities and it now I am the lead subject matter expert on Z and I am reporting to the global management chain. I do feel however that I have plateaued and am looking for a new challenge."

It shows progression. You seem to have plenty of that in your post. Leave out all the politics of being passed over for promotion stuff though - it is enough to demonstrate that you have been taking on increased responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

As others have posted, get out of there. You are slowly being enslavened. An unless you move, you won't even get a "Thank you" for all your hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Found myself in a similar position.

Getting great feedback on my performance from my line manager and performing, in my view, the tasks and responsibilities of the grade above.
    I was told ' next year' for the two previous years and I kept my head down and kept working hard.

When the latest round of promotions were announced in April, I was passed over again.

Went home, did up my CV and joined a recruitment agency.

Got a new job within 6 weeks.

Much more fulfilling, better pay and prospects and less commute time.
    Wish I'd done it a couple of years ago tbh.

It sounds like you're banging your head off a brick wall OP.

My advice is to at least look around to see what's available. You have to value yourself if your employer won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

I've been in same position and now I regret that I didn't make the move earlier. I was frustrated and blamed myself while it wasn't my fault at all. One thing I learned recently is that you can't beat the first impression of new company and new boss - and whether it will work for you or not in the long run. You want to work with charismatic boss who will help you develop rather than with insecure creep who will drag you down, squeeze out all they need, climb the ladder themselves and pull it up on the way out !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Option 2.

You said you love your job and the money is good. Take your focus off promo and give yourself some headspace for a while.

Then, when you're ready and looking for a new challenge, go option 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This happened to me not long ago, so I picked option 3. Got a better job and a 25-30% increase in my gross pay. Look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Personally I would leave. I do understand how hard that it when you otherwise love a company/what you do. Unfortunately your true value will only become known to qny company after you leave! Very disappointing to see any company screw a good young worker around like that. Look for somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your feedback, talked with a lot of people who have insight in the department and everyone told me that they are taking the mickey out of me. So updated my CV, secured references and will start looking for a job.
    I will also use the tips mentioned for my interviews, highly appreciated for all feedback as I didn't have an interview in quite some while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would be option 3. Once you get passed over a couple of times its time to leave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It sounds like the system in your company is severely flawed. Have you consulted HR?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I wonder when you were told " be more visible" was that company lingo for " stay longer hours for no overtime like the rest, to try impress someone"

Cause I'd say at this point people know my feelings about that here, and its just nonsense to squeeze more out of you, for no tangible reward or recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Brian? wrote: »
    It sounds like the system in your company is severely flawed. Have you consulted HR?

HR and manager are personal friends and went weeks ago together on a weekend away. Other misbehaviour was reported to HR, played down and followed by payback.
    "be more visible" stands for "fulfil the promises of the manager"
    example
    Build a house!
    What kind of house, material, persons, where, when?
    Do it!
    This is the house.
    I wanted an apartment!
    What kind of apartment, material, persons, where, when?
    Do it!
    This is the apartment.
    I wanted an apartment for eight people!
    What kind of apartment, material, for eight persons, where, when?
    Do it!
    and so on

Advertisement